Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Extension - Is it Too Late to File?  (Read 1085 times)

• Liked: 6
Extension - Is it Too Late to File?
« on: June 05, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »
Is it too late for me to file for an extension, form 4868? I thought deadline was June 15, 2018 but I can't seem to figure out how to file and pay online.  I was going to do Direct Pay option but the drop down list does not have an option for extension as the reason for payment.  I would like to do it online since I've read that you get confirmation of approval almost immediately, I'm scared if I mail in the form and did it incorrectly I will be denied the extension.
UK Spouse Visa
Arrival to UK:                            3rd May 2017
FLR(M) Application:                1st Jan 2020. [Standard]
FLR(M) Biometrics:                 27th Feb 2020.
FLR(M) Approval:                     6th Mar 2020.

• Liked: 102
Re: Extension - Is it Too Late to File?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »
The first extension is Form 4868. This needs to be mailed by 15 June. All you need is proof of postage. The second extension is a letter mailed by 15 October; this extends the filing deadline to 15 December 2018.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 05:00:52 PM »
I am supposed to get a letter from IRS confirming the extension? I mailed it in, it was accepted before 6/15 but I haven't heard anything.
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 102
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
I am supposed to get a letter from IRS confirming the extension? I mailed it in, it was accepted before 6/15 but I haven't heard anything.
The IRS do not reply. You keep proof of mailing.  Same when you extend to 15 December.

• Liked: 63
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »
The extensions are pretty much automatic - sending confirmations out is low priority for the IRS. You should be aware that any tax due should have been paid by the April filing date. You get an extension to file, but not to pay.

Have you tried the Free Filable Forms (https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd)  If your situation is pretty straightforward, you can file on-line. You need to fill in the forms, so you need to know what to put where, but for simple stuff, it's very easy. You also get an immediate email if the electronic filing is accepted (or rejected) by the IRS.

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
The extensions are pretty much automatic - sending confirmations out is low priority for the IRS. You should be aware that any tax due should have been paid by the April filing date. You get an extension to file, but not to pay.

Have you tried the Free Filable Forms (https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/#/fd)  If your situation is pretty straightforward, you can file on-line. You need to fill in the forms, so you need to know what to put where, but for simple stuff, it's very easy. You also get an immediate email if the electronic filing is accepted (or rejected) by the IRS.

Ok, so I will assume the extension was granted to October 15.  How do I go about extending to December 15? I think I read you write a letter asking for further extension.  Is that right? If so, is there a form to go with it? Will they tell me if granted or only if denied?

I hired someone to do my self assessment UK tax and want to allow them more time.  I read that the Dec. extension is not guaranteed and it's at IRS discretion.  I also think I need to know my UK tax liability finish my US tax or at least have paid UK tax so I can note my income was subject to foreign tax and get my exemption....

I am using Turbotax for US and I am at a stage where I need to calculate hours worked in US for trips when I went back home to visit family....so far US return is saying refund for W2 income portion before I moved,  I think I was able to properly exempt income earned while living in UK, just have to see what happens after I note hours worked in US while on vacation.  I hope I am not creating a mess for myself.

I also need to figure out Virginia taxes still, but I saw Guya note VA may do FEIE, I thought I read something like that online too so need to look at it more or call to check if it applies to me if I intend to return at some point.
UK Spouse Visa

• Liked: 111
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 02:29:56 PM »
Ok, so I will assume the extension was granted to October 15.  How do I go about extending to December 15? I think I read you write a letter asking for further extension.  Is that right? If so, is there a form to go with it? Will they tell me if granted or only if denied?

Hodgen is considered an unofficial but reliable source. The attached link is for filing 2016 returns, but should be good for 2017 returns. If not, hopefully someone will correct me.

https://hodgen.com/income-tax-return-extension-december-15-2017/

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 11:44:33 PM »
Hodgen is considered an unofficial but reliable source. The attached link is for filing 2016 returns, but should be good for 2017 returns. If not, hopefully someone will correct me.

https://hodgen.com/income-tax-return-extension-december-15-2017/

Thank you! I think I might be okay, just received the tax information from the UK accountant.  I think i can't file the US until 29th of September though so that I can meet the 330 day thing...ugh, if I'm doing things correctly on Turbo Tax that is.
UK Spouse Visa

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab