Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Lincolnshire Quake 'Felt 100km Away'  (Read 879 times)

• Liked: 3595
Lincolnshire Quake 'Felt 100km Away'
« on: June 10, 2018, 08:52:27 PM »
Earthquake near Hull and Grimsby 'felt 100km away'

Well, I experienced my first earthquake last night!

I was reading in bed and suddenly there was a thump, then the walls seemed to shake/move and finally there was a bang and my bed jolted! I had no idea what it was at the time - my first thought was that the neighbours had broken or dropped something, then my second thought was 'earthquake', so I went online to see, but obviously it was too early for any news about it yet, so then I dismissed it and wondered if maybe someone was in the house :P.

It wasn't until this morning, when my friend asked me on Facebook if I'd felt the Lincolnshire earthquake last night that I realised what had happened. It's kind of a big deal for me, because when I was 15, I decided I wanted to study earthquakes as a career, and so I ended up doing my masters in seismology (analysing seismic waves recorded in the Andes). I've also spent several weeks in Central America and South America, in various earthquake hotspots.

However, I'd never actually felt an actual earthquake before... until last night :).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:29:52 PM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 957
Re: Lincolnshire Quake 'Felt 100km Away'
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
That's pretty cool!

I felt my first earthquake in college but they were always small (just small rumblings) because there was a fault not far from it. Then when I was living in Rochester a couple years later there was a 5 or 6 on the richter scale near plattsburgh and I told my friends we were feeling an earthquake because the blinds and all the pictures on the walls started swaying and they told me I was full of it... Til the news later that day. I knew a few people still on campus at that time and they were dumped from their beds. Kinda violent for a place with no major plates shifting!

• Liked: 113
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 10:25:13 PM »
I have a huge fear of earthquakes because I experienced a particularly devastating one that wiped out our city when I was in 2nd grade. Google: Baguio or Luzon (Philippines) July 16, 1990 earthquake. We had friends & acquaintances who were buried alive in rubble.

Our saving grace was that my dad rescued a senator (or congressman’s?) wife. My dad is a doctor and he was one of the first volunteer responders. To show his gratitude, the senator granted my dad access to his cellular phone that my dad used to call our relatives in Manila (the capital city of the Philippines). Cellular phones back then were very expensive and so bulky they had to be carried in their own bags! My relatives were able to find connections and got my grandmother, younger sister, and I, on a cargo plane carrying relief goods to take us to Manila. My parents & an uncle had to stay behind and were stranded for a month because all roads to/from Baguio were closed. My mom says she still remembers the smell of the dead that they had to endure for weeks.

That earthquake changed the course of our lives because we were forced to relocate to a new city. I had to go to a new school. The worst was adjusting to the weather because Baguio was a mountain city with a cooler climate (20’s). Manila, on the other hand, was so hot and humid (mid-upper 30’s). I had nosebleeds everyday because of the heat. We were very lucky nobody in our family got hurt though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:57:53 AM »
I have a huge fear of earthquakes because I experienced a particularly devastating one that wiped out our city when I was in 2nd grade. Google: Baguio or Luzon (Philippines) July 16, 1990 earthquake. We had friends & acquaintances who were buried alive in rubble.

Our saving grace was that my dad rescued a senator (or congressman’s?) wife. My dad is a doctor and he was one of the first volunteer responders. To show his gratitude, the senator granted my dad access to his cellular phone that my dad used to call our relatives in Manila (the capital city of the Philippines). Cellular phones back then were very expensive and so bulky they had to be carried in their own bags! My relatives were able to find connections and got my grandmother, younger sister, and I, on a cargo plane carrying relief goods to take us to Manila. My parents & an uncle had to stay behind and were stranded for a month because all roads to/from Baguio were closed. My mom says she still remembers the smell of the dead that they had to endure for weeks.

That earthquake changed the course of our lives because we were forced to relocate to a new city. I had to go to a new school. The worst was adjusting to the weather because Baguio was a mountain city with a cooler climate (20’s). Manila, on the other hand, was so hot and humid (mid-upper 30’s). I had nosebleeds everyday because of the heat. We were very lucky nobody in our family got hurt though.

I'm sorry to hear you lived through such a tragic experience. I'm glad your family was ok. My friends have lost people in Haiti. I definitely think building codes in the developed world do a good job of reducing the death toll and destruction but they still wreak havoc. :( I should clarify that *small* earthquakes are cool, large ones are most definitely terrifying.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 10:51:28 AM »
I should clarify that *small* earthquakes are cool, large ones are most definitely terrifying.

Mother nature is definitely cool ;)

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 10:53:17 AM »
I was in several earthquakes as a kid.  Definitely one of those things you remember.  I am "happy" to have safely experienced them and no need to ever do so again.

Remember, I missed the Haiti earthquake by 42 minutes (my flight was the last flight out before the quake hit - of course no one knew it was coming).  I'm okay with that!!!  And rather thankful. 

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:41 AM »
Remember, I missed the Haiti earthquake by 42 minutes (my flight was the last flight out before the quake hit - of course no one knew it was coming).  I'm okay with that!!!  And rather thankful.

Omg. What a relief!

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 04:37:16 PM »
ksand24!  I can't believe you did a master's in seismology and have only just experienced your first quake!  That somehow seems "unfair" for you.

The first one I really noticed was when I was in 6th grade.  I was living in Merced, California, and sitting in class one day when it felt like the classroom rocked, like a small boat on a wave at sea.  It was this weird undulating sensation.  It might have been this quake:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_Morgan_Hill_earthquake .  In all the years I lived in California, that's the only one I remember actually feeling.

One struck here last year and we felt it, but it wasn't much to speak of.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:55:41 PM »
I think that the only one that ever really got my attention was the Easter 2010 quake out by the Salton Sea (or maybe Mexicali - it was like a 7 or something). That was a real roller!   There seemed to be at least one a year, while we were in SoCal, that was big enough to notice. One time the Daughter was working in a high-rise that was on those new earthquake suspension foundations... she said she got seasick when the quake hit because the building just kept swaying and swaying and swaying!

I know they have 'em here, and I know there's tornados (sort of) here as well, but they don't need to manifest anywhere nearby on my account, nope, they do not! ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 06:57:56 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 46
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 04:44:18 AM »
Oh wow, my husband is living in Lincoln (and soon I will be too)! I was on FaceTime with him when that earthquake hit and he just started looking around confused. I asked if he was okay and he says yeah but something just shook the building. One of his friends texted him a little later and ask him if he felt a rumble.

I lived in Los Angeles for 8 years and only felt two. One while I was at work probably in 2010 and another woke me from a deep sleep in 2015. I can think of several occasions where an earthquake happened and my coworkers, friends or whoever was around said ‘oh wow, did you feel that earthquake?’ and I had no clue. Everyone there still talks about the Northridge earthquake that happened back in the 90s - it was a rough one for that area.
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

Sponsored Links