Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Is the UK also a stickler for certifications?  (Read 942 times)

• Liked: 113
Is the UK also a stickler for certifications?
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:40:45 AM »
My experience is in the Supply Chain & Logistics (shipping, import/export) industry doing IT change management & other process improvement type projects. When I moved from Denmark to the US, after working for the largest shipping company in the world HQ in Copenhagen (Maersk Line), I thought I wouldn’t have a hard time finding a job. But then I discovered American employers were sticklers for the US equivalent of certifications even if I had an EU equivalent. For example, I was PRINCE2 project management certifed but they only recognized PMP. I’m pretty sure most of the certifications I did in Denmark are recognized here in the UK, but they’re all expired by now since I lived in the US for 8 years. In summary, I had to start all over in the US from an entry level job paying $8/hr in the first 3 years because American employers didn’t recognize my certifications even if I already had actual manager-level work experience. I now have other experience in inventory planning & procurement from my latest job and I was browsing jobs in this category. However, I see the job adverts requiring or prefering a CIPS certification and these are for entry levels. I didn’t pass the US equivalent certification (APICS CPIM), but I completed the training preparation for it. In your experiences moving from the US, does it seem that UK employers are more flexible in this scenario? I really would hate to start from scratch again! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#1 NON-PRIORITY UNMARRIED PARTNER
Living together since Nov 2014, son born on Mar 2016
Decision: Refusal (70 BD)
#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
Online Application: 18 Mar 2018
Decision Made Email: 03 May 2018
Received Passport: 07 May 2018 (APPROVED)
Entered UK: 10 May 2018
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)
Online Application: 6 Jan 2021
UKVCAS Biometric Appointment: 2 Feb 2021
Decision Made Email: 22 Mar 2021 (APPROVED)

• Liked: 4985
Re: Is the UK also a stickler for certifications?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »
Honestly?  I think the UK is a million billion times worse than the USA for qualifications.

I'm actually surprised the USA didn't recognize you as "transferable skills."  It's a concept that unfortunately seems lost on many UK employers.  They have to be able to tick that box after all!

Hopefully I'm wrong and you'll end up with your dream job in no time flat.   :D

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 09:47:19 AM »
My experience is in the Supply Chain & Logistics (shipping, import/export) industry doing IT change management & other process improvement type projects. When I moved from Denmark to the US, after working for the largest shipping company in the world HQ in Copenhagen (Maersk Line), I thought I wouldn’t have a hard time finding a job. But then I discovered American employers were sticklers for the US equivalent of certifications even if I had an EU equivalent. For example, I was PRINCE2 project management certifed but they only recognized PMP. I’m pretty sure most of the certifications I did in Denmark are recognized here in the UK, but they’re all expired by now since I lived in the US for 8 years. In summary, I had to start all over in the US from an entry level job paying $8/hr in the first 3 years because American employers didn’t recognize my certifications even if I already had actual manager-level work experience. I now have other experience in inventory planning & procurement from my latest job and I was browsing jobs in this category. However, I see the job adverts requiring or prefering a CIPS certification and these are for entry levels. I didn’t pass the US equivalent certification (APICS CPIM), but I completed the training preparation for it. In your experiences moving from the US, does it seem that UK employers are more flexible in this scenario? I really would hate to start from scratch again! :(

It will depend on the employer but it may help to have training they recognise. I'm a SAS BI developer and it took 6 months to get an interview outside of a large city with no relevant certifications. Even listing lapsed certifications might help (since they may understand they weren't relevant in the US) to get beyond the CV filters and to a human.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
Maybe it’s the industry I work in. But to be honest I don’t aspire to get a manager level job because I discovered I don’t or can’t deal with people’s dramas. So I don’t ever want to manage a team again. I simply don’t want to start from the very, very, bottom as if I were a new grad. Lol

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »
It will depend on the employer but it may help to have training they recognise. I'm a SAS BI developer and it took 6 months to get an interview outside of a large city with no relevant certifications. Even listing lapsed certifications might help (since they may understand they weren't relevant in the US) to get beyond the CV filters and to a human.

Yes i somehow need get past all those algorithms/filters they initially run on CV’s. As it stands i don’t tick any boxes for those certifications they’re looking for so maybe it sends my CV straight to a blackhole. But then it’s only been a month too. I’m possibly too impatient as well.

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
Maybe it’s the industry I work in. But to be honest I don’t aspire to get a manager level job because I discovered I don’t or can’t deal with people’s dramas. So I don’t ever want to manage a team again. I simply don’t want to start from the very, very, bottom as if I were a new grad. Lol

Definitely list your PRINCE2.  That's very desirable.

Are you applying directly or through recruiters?  Recruiters are a necessary evil here.  Apply with ALL the agencies.

• Liked: 533
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »
It will depend on the employer but it may help to have training they recognise.

I think that is sort of the point though. That you could in theory teach the course, but for some reason a perhaps rinky-dink certificate (several hundred pounds) from the "Royal" "Society" of Plumbers is of any value at all.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
I mean they can do what they want really - but as with NARIC, I just think they have a slightly elevated opinion of these things.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 10:09:30 AM »
I mean they can do what they want really - but as with NARIC, I just think they have a slightly elevated opinion of these things.

Truer words have not been spoken.

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 10:11:15 AM »
I think that is sort of the point though. That you could in theory teach the course, but for some reason a perhaps rinky-dink certificate (several hundred pounds) from the "Royal" "Society" of Plumbers is of any value at all.
Yeah, she listed certifications that are recognised here as lapsed so that's why I think including them may be quite helpful. They can be renewed, and it shows the mastery of the material in the past. And as KFdancer said, contact all the recruiters here in your industry. They will be the ones to get your app in front of hiring managers.

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
I think it's the ring binder industry behind it all.

You end up with a shelf of the damned things. Every time you move you ask yourself, "Why am I saving these things?"

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 10:42:26 AM »
Four letters.  GDPR.  Bureaucracy at it's finest!

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:02 AM »
Four letters.  GDPR.  Bureaucracy at it's finest!
And so many well intentioned people are clueless about it :( I fear people being smacked with fines simply because they didn't realise they need to be compliant. Part of me wishes I had a legal background so I could help small businesses and non profits with it!

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 12:03:39 PM »
Are you applying directly or through recruiters?  Recruiters are a necessary evil here.  Apply with ALL the agencies.

Both. Mostly through Linkedin.

Thanks for the advice. I’ll take a look around and submit my CV to recruiters.

#2 PRIORITY SPOUSE
#3 NON-PRIORITY FLR(M)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab