Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Miss my American Girlfriend!!  (Read 2593 times)

• Liked: 0
Miss my American Girlfriend!!
« on: June 13, 2002, 08:37:46 PM »
Just to let everyone know Iam English and live in England but I have an American Girlfriend (Lisa) who came over here and stayed for a month. She is currently back in Ohio and I desperatly miss her. So some moral support would be cool  :( Whilst she was over hear she was on this site quite a bit  (blondshania)and I find myself drawn to it.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
Re: Miss my American Girlfriend!!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 09:08:17 PM »
Hiya - nice to see you here. :) We've met blondeshania too - it's nice to have couples here.  :-* I TOTALLY sympathize with your situation, only I'm the American Girl in the picture. It took David & I a good year before we were prepared to make any move, but everybody's situation (no mater how similar in appearances) is still SO different, and I hope that you two can figure out something to be happy together. (((hugs)))
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 09:57:09 PM »
Hiya back, I remember you to she spoke with you a few times your from the state next door right? anyway thanks for that and I hope we do to ;)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 10:00:40 PM »
Yep, I'm her northern neighbor in Michigan. :)
A lot of folks on here (dare I say ALL?) have a LOT of experience with long-term relationships, so feel free to spill your guts here if you need to. (hug)

• Liked: 24
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 10:17:05 PM »
Hi there UK Dude, welcome. We do have a lot of people here that have been through the long distance relationships as well as long term. Feel free to hang out, there's even a board for the Spouses/Significant Others of the expats called the Spouse House.

Speaking from a happy chapter, if not ending, of the long distance relationship book, lots of phone calls and internet contact will help the missing her bit. It's tough, but well worth it. It takes a strong relationship to weather these storms.

Leah

• NYState_of_Mind
  • FAMILIE, GOD & VADERLAND! Zonder de een heb je niet de anderen!!

• Never forget what it MEANS to be an AMERICAN...
    • Uncover Fahrenheit for what it is
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 11:30:42 PM »
Hi there UKDude,

Hang in there.... Know exactly what you're dealing with.  I did the LDR for a year with Belgium Beer.  It's hard but if you're both true to eachother and if it's meant-to-be.....it will be (I know it's an old cliche but it's so true.)  Just keep the lines of communication open, send her flowers at least once a month, surprise her with cards, lots and lots of e-cards.  Don't know how serious you both are (and I'm not asking or prying) but make sure the both of you are "on the same page" even in the same paragraph.  Every relationship is different, don't compare.   ;)
An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile--hoping it will eat him last."Forgiveness is up to God. I just hope we hurry up the meeting." 02.08.03, Gen. Schwarzkoph It's the SILENT MAJORITY that COUNTS not the LOUD MINORITY that CONSTANTLY WINES! http://www.leftnuts.com/images/fu_marines1.jpg
www.protestwarrior.com Proud Member of the V.R.W.C.

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 10:24:03 PM »
UK Dude...
Hang in there!  My fiance'  & I have done the LDR thing for a couple of years now.  While our distance apart is quite a bit less than an ocean, it is still hard, at times, to deal with.  But, as NYSoM said, if it's meant to be...
Phone calls, email, e-chats, and all of that are a godsend.  
Thankfully, we are on the same page, paragraph, even sentence, and feel that it is all completely worth any sacrifice now, for a lifetime to come.
It's amazing how those cliche's mean so much more when you've found the real thing.

David

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 10:44:08 PM »
Just agreeing with everyone here again, communication is the BIGGEST thing that will keep you together, especially if you can't see eachother very often. Do either of you have a webcam that you can do visual chats with? Do you have an Instant Messaging program set up, like MSN? That saved DAvid & I many times, when our time difference & jobs wouldn't allow us to phone call, we'd IM during work or something. And whoever said flowers - - here here! Send 'em! Lots of em! :) :) :)

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2002, 12:17:58 AM »
As much as I do love the instant gratification of e-mail, IM, and other such devices to stay in touch, nothing - and I mean NOTHING - beats the handwritten letter.

Twenty years from now, my boyfriend and I will probably not be sitting around reading through the printouts of our e-mails.  But we WILL be looking through the cards and letters we've sent each other over the years.  He still has the first letter I ever wrote him back in 1985...I get choked up just thinking about it.  No electronic form of communication will ever take the place of that.

So, the other stuff is good and keep it up.  But remember the old-fashioned pen-and-paper variety will hold up much longer in her heart and her memory.

Just my two bits.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2002, 12:52:33 AM »
Yes yes yes to the handwritten letters!
They are like a little piece of you that no high tech medium can replace.  We have all of the letters we've written to each other, and, I'll tell ya, I'm floored every time I read through them.

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2002, 12:40:43 PM »
Welcome UK Dude!  

• Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2002, 10:14:38 PM »
As much as I do love the instant gratification of e-mail, IM, and other such devices to stay in touch, nothing - and I mean NOTHING - beats the handwritten letter.

I completley agree with you!  When my husband and I were doing the LDR thing he was living in a dorm and only had one payphone in his hall!!!  So no internet connection.  We still managed to e-mail, but no chats other than our phone calls (to his mobile, for which he probably now has brain cancer ;))  Every week, and sometimes more, we made it a point to write each other one hand written letter.  We both thought the internet was no place to express our deepest feelings, so those letters were the absolute highlight of my week!  I will have them for the rest of our lives to look back on and cherish.
'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' - Emerson

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab