Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Send My Bags  (Read 1144 times)

• Liked: 46
Send My Bags
« on: June 23, 2018, 03:03:20 AM »
So, as I’m waiting on my visa answer (BD 18 has just come and gone), I’ve begun sorting out what is coming with me to the UK. Ultimately, I do not have a lot of possessions that are coming with me, so everything I’m bringing should fit in suitcases that I’ve begun to pack.

Currently I have three large suitcases and a small suitcase that can be my carry-on bag. I think worst case scenario I might need one more large suitcase. Regardless, I’m not crazy about toting multiple suitcases by myself to the Atlanta airport and then through Heathrow airport.

I’ve looked into a company called Send My Bags, and I’m wondering if anyone here has used them and cares to share their experience. They seem like they will be a cost effective way to transport my stuff if it’s considered overweight by airline standards. I’m mostly operating off this idea after my husband flew with BA and was almost hit with a $100 overweight bag fee if we had not stepped aside and shifted some weight between the two large suitcases he had. Send My Bags does charge based on weight, but assuming it’s nothing too heavy, I think they might be better than whatever airline I choose to fly with. 

And, of course, if anyone has any other suggestions, I’m all ears. I would like to get my stuff across without breaking the bank, but I’m also not in love with the idea of managing several bags at once.
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 537
Re: Send My Bags
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 05:40:35 AM »
I simply paid the overage as it was cheaper than paying for shipping it. I flew AA or BA so it was an extra $100 for my second bag and I thought that was a good deal.

It costs $67 to ship a package weighing less than 4 pounds to me from the US with USPS...
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
So, as I’m waiting on my visa answer (BD 18 has just come and gone), I’ve begun sorting out what is coming with me to the UK. Ultimately, I do not have a lot of possessions that are coming with me, so everything I’m bringing should fit in suitcases that I’ve begun to pack.

Currently I have three large suitcases and a small suitcase that can be my carry-on bag. I think worst case scenario I might need one more large suitcase. Regardless, I’m not crazy about toting multiple suitcases by myself to the Atlanta airport and then through Heathrow airport.

I’ve looked into a company called Send My Bags, and I’m wondering if anyone here has used them and cares to share their experience. They seem like they will be a cost effective way to transport my stuff if it’s considered overweight by airline standards. I’m mostly operating off this idea after my husband flew with BA and was almost hit with a $100 overweight bag fee if we had not stepped aside and shifted some weight between the two large suitcases he had. Send My Bags does charge based on weight, but assuming it’s nothing too heavy, I think they might be better than whatever airline I choose to fly with. 

And, of course, if anyone has any other suggestions, I’m all ears. I would like to get my stuff across without breaking the bank, but I’m also not in love with the idea of managing several bags at once.

Hope someone can answer your questions, as we have a few suitcases we still need to get from the US to the UK!

• Liked: 3589
Send My Bags
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 06:14:20 AM »
Looks like Send My Bag will cost:
£62 ($82) per bag, up to 15kg
£99 ($131) per bag up to 30kg

Looking at airline baggage fees:
AA and United:
1st bag = $0 or $60 if you’re basic economy
2nd bag = $100
3rd bag = $200

Delta
1st bag = $0 or $60 if you’re basic economy
2nd bag = $100
3rd bag = $285

BA:
1st bag = $0
2nd bag = $100 at airport or $90 online
3rd bag = $200 at airport or $180 online

All checked bags can be up to 23kg each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 06:19:29 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 672
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
Which implies you're flying. ;)

I wonder if anyone has any actual experience with the company?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
Do NOT use Send My Bag unless it’s a very straightforward bag.

We accidentally left a bag behind this last summer.  I booked Send My Bag and paid the £60.  Before they would confirm collection they sent a MOUNTAIN of paperwork requiring each item to be itemised (down to children’s clothes cotton v Childrens clothes polyester).  They would take NO food, medication, electronics, etc.  Basically nothing but clothes.

If you JUST have clothes it could be a good option.  But the paperwork is insane.

I now have a £60 credit to use as they won’t refund the costs....   ::)

But for a bag mixed with purchases and toiletries it just wasn’t worth it in the end.  My parents brought it at Christmas instead.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 04:56:47 PM »
They would take NO food, medication, electronics, etc. 

No food or medication??  I had Send My Bags bookmarked, thinking I might use it sometime to send home my US shopping, but I guess that's not going to work.  >:(

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 07:17:43 PM »
No food or medication??  I had Send My Bags bookmarked, thinking I might use it sometime to send home my US shopping, but I guess that's not going to work.  >:(

Yup!

Snapshots from the email I received.  It was probably buried in fine print somewhere but was buried WELL!

If anyone wants to use it.... I’ve got a credit...

• Liked: 46
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 07:46:37 PM »
Do NOT use Send My Bag unless it’s a very straightforward bag.

We accidentally left a bag behind this last summer.  I booked Send My Bag and paid the £60.  Before they would confirm collection they sent a MOUNTAIN of paperwork requiring each item to be itemised (down to children’s clothes cotton v Childrens clothes polyester).  They would take NO food, medication, electronics, etc.  Basically nothing but clothes.

If you JUST have clothes it could be a good option.  But the paperwork is insane.

I now have a £60 credit to use as they won’t refund the costs....   ::)

But for a bag mixed with purchases and toiletries it just wasn’t worth it in the end.  My parents brought it at Christmas instead.

Oh wow  :o I was wondering if they were going to have all sorts of steps involved after seeing their restrictions. Maybe I will be better off just checking my bags in with the airline I choose.
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab