Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Leaving your pet behind :(  (Read 1546 times)

• Liked: 46
Leaving your pet behind :(
« on: June 29, 2018, 04:36:51 AM »
I know a lot of people post in this section seeking advice on making arrangements for their pets to move, but has anyone made the decision to leave their pet behind?

My mini schnauzer that I took in 8 years ago has now gone to Chicago to live with my sister. She was my baby, and I’ve loved that dog more than anything.  :) Unfortunately, she’s a very anxious pup and is 11 years old with bladder issues. She would get upset just being put in a crate that she was familiar with in the home that she’s familiar with, so I felt like I couldn’t put her in her crate on a plane for a long ride to the UK.

I know she’s in excellent hands with my sister in Chicago, and I get daily updates on how she’s doing, but I miss my little pup so much.  :\\\'(
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 6110
Re: Leaving your pet behind :(
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:23:23 AM »
I know a lot of people post in this section seeking advice on making arrangements for their pets to move, but has anyone made the decision to leave their pet behind?

My mini schnauzer that I took in 8 years ago has now gone to Chicago to live with my sister. She was my baby, and I’ve loved that dog more than anything.  :) Unfortunately, she’s a very anxious pup and is 11 years old with bladder issues. She would get upset just being put in a crate that she was familiar with in the home that she’s familiar with, so I felt like I couldn’t put her in her crate on a plane for a long ride to the UK.

I know she’s in excellent hands with my sister in Chicago, and I get daily updates on how she’s doing, but I miss my little pup so much.  :\\\'(

I'm sorry Kay, that must have been an agonising decision to make. But sounds like she couldn't be in a better place. x

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:47:47 PM »
Awwww :( I'm sorry you had to leave her behind. I'm glad she is with someone who can give you updates, and where you know she is happy and safe. There are a few others who couldn't bring elderly pets and I know that's a heart wrenching decision.

I'd say when you are ready, look at the rescues over here. Lots of pets who need loving homes. It obviously cannot replace your wee one, but may help you cope with the loss and make new memories. I'm always glad to have my kitty around, but if she hadn't been able to come I know one of my first acts would've been to find a new furry family member.

• Liked: 46
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 04:13:44 PM »
I'm sorry Kay, that must have been an agonising decision to make. But sounds like she couldn't be in a better place. x

Thank you  :) yep, she’s definitely in safe hands with my sister. That made the decision a lot easier knowing that she is staying with someone that treats her as well as I did.

Awwww :( I'm sorry you had to leave her behind. I'm glad she is with someone who can give you updates, and where you know she is happy and safe. There are a few others who couldn't bring elderly pets and I know that's a heart wrenching decision.

I'd say when you are ready, look at the rescues over here. Lots of pets who need loving homes. It obviously cannot replace your wee one, but may help you cope with the loss and make new memories. I'm always glad to have my kitty around, but if she hadn't been able to come I know one of my first acts would've been to find a new furry family member.

Oh yes, I definitely want to take in a rescue or two at some point. My husband is a big dog lover as well, and he understands what it’s like as he gave up his two dogs in his divorce. He wanted to keep one of them, but he felt he couldn’t because his job keeps him out of the house 13-15 hours a day so the poor thing would’ve been stuck in a flat alone.  :-\\\\

We are renting a flat at the moment, so it may be up to our owner if he’ll allow any pets. If not, then we’ll just wait for when we buy our own place.  ;D
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 537
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »
I completely understand. When I moved over in 2014 my Pembroke Welsh corgi Gaelen was 10. He is a very long dog and all the stairs here are quite steep.

I couldn't put him through 20+hours of travel so he stayed with my parents. It was one of the hardest things. It was right for him as he ended up with back problems and his rear end stopped working. My parents were able to care for him in a way that I wouldn't have been able to. I got to see him last time November and he passed earlier this year.

It was hard.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 07:15:57 PM »
I completely understand. When I moved over in 2014 my Pembroke Welsh corgi Gaelen was 10. He is a very long dog and all the stairs here are quite steep.

I couldn't put him through 20+hours of travel so he stayed with my parents. It was one of the hardest things. It was right for him as he ended up with back problems and his rear end stopped working. My parents were able to care for him in a way that I wouldn't have been able to. I got to see him last time November and he passed earlier this year.

It was hard.

So sorry.  :-\\\\

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2018, 10:53:08 AM »
I'm sorry you had to leave your pet behind :( But just know that you did it for the right reason. You made one of the hardest choices but you took the least selfish route and put your dog's needs first. I do second that you should look into getting a new pet when you're ready :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links