Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: On a UK Spouse Visa - Can I start a UK company?  (Read 1071 times)

• Liked: 50
On a UK Spouse Visa - Can I start a UK company?
« on: July 09, 2018, 01:57:55 PM »
I'm in year one of the Spouse Visa and my son would like me to take part ownership of a company he is starting in the UK.
Is this okay under the rules of the Visa?
Is there anything I should be aware of - visa-wise that is?
Thanks in advance for any insights!
Love this forum. ;)

• Liked: 6110
Re: On a UK Spouse Visa - Can I start a UK company?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 01:59:32 PM »
I'm in year one of the Spouse Visa and my son would like me to take part ownership of a company he is starting in the UK.
Is this okay under the rules of the Visa?
Is there anything I should be aware of - visa-wise that is?
Thanks in advance for any insights!
Love this forum. ;)

Yes, you can do that but I would take some time to look at the US tax implications first.

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Your spousal visa has no restrictions or limitations on working, so it should be fine for you to start a UK company.

You will need to register as self-employed with HMRC and sort out all your paperwork for both UK and US taxes etc., but visa-wise, there's no issue.

Something to be aware of though, when it comes to meeting the financial requirement for your next visa, your income can now be considered, but using self-employment income is really tricky because of the sheer number of documents required and the fact that you can only use income from the last full financial year (or last 2 full financial years), and we see more refusals due to issued with self-employment income than any other financial category.

I'm not sure which category you used to meet the financial requirement for your spousal visa, but if there's a chance you will have to use your income to meet the financial requirement and not your spouse's for FLR(M), it's not ideal to be self-employed (we usually advise to only use self-employment income as a last resort, if there is no other possible way for you to meet the financial requirement).

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
While researching the tax implications be sure you take a good look at the new GILTI taxes introduced in the US this year. I think you will need to be careful in how the business is set up and viewed by the IRS.

https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=93372.msg1225611#msg1225611

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 50
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 04:44:40 PM »
Thanks all for the helpful replies. As always.
 :)

Sponsored Links