Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Home Canning  (Read 4882 times)

• Liked: 676
Re: Home Canning
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 04:55:44 PM »
Just scored bigtime at the Hobby Mart at Glasgow Fort. Ball pint jars six for 7 pounds on clearance. I now have enough to last for a while. And may go back and get the rest of them another day and EBay 'em!  ;) ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
Just scored bigtime at the Hobby Mart at Glasgow Fort. Ball pint jars six for 7 pounds on clearance. I now have enough to last for a while. And may go back and get the rest of them another day and EBay 'em!  ;) ;D

Excellent!  :) Did you see anything else there that took your fancy?

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 06:19:16 PM »
Too, too much!   ;D  Also went by an aquarium store I need to stop at next time, on the way over and back.

Oh. And there is a storefront under construction, accross from Frankie & Bennys. Right now it is just a shell. But it has the classic "Denny's Red" trim (the Daughter says - I didn't know there was a classic red trim for Dennys) around it. Peeking through the construction slats there's literally nothing in there but some saw-horses and an otherwise empty space - and a trophy! There's a big silver trophy sitting on a sawhorse in there! Also saw an advert in the local papers for an assistant manager for Dennys, so it looks like it's gonna happen. Just not right away.

It's a really nice mall - very SoCal, so the Daughter liked it a lot and said she felt at home there. I felt like I was getting drizzled on, personally, but enjoyed the day out.  8)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:56 AM »
Nan, I canned up several jars of mincemeat yesterday. I had a mixture of Ball and Kilner seals. The Ball seals went down great and the Kilner seals didn't, leaving me canning in a water bath of suet and not sealing properly (Also, when everything cooled down, they became  coated in white suet fat ,mmmmm).
Did you ever write to Kilner? 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:26 AM »
Ohhh, sorry to hear that! What a disappointment.

I did not, unfortunately. I did have a lot of trouble with the kilner tops. In looking at them, a lot had the sealant not evenly applied all around - thinner in some places, thicker in others. I quit using them entirely, and went into my stash of Ball/Kerr jar lids that I brought over. I'm running low on those, though, so I'm going to have to source some others. I also had some generic that I'd bought at Walmart, and they worked fine as well. It was uniformly the Kilner lids - I'd say at least half of them were bad.

I'd be curious to hear what Kilner says if you write and they respond.

[Edit - Now I can't remember if I did or did not write to them. If I did, I haven't heard back. Lakeland has the lids, quite expensive, though.  https://www.lakeland.co.uk/70967/Ball-Regular-Mouth-Mason-Jar-Lids---Pack-of-12  and https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71672/Ball-Wide-Mouth-Mason-Jar-Lids---Pack-of-12   I'm used to paying maybe $2 a package at Walmart. Have to check to see if ASDA carries them, I guess.]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:40:10 AM by Nan D. »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2018, 10:55:45 AM »
It was definitely annoying. I am going to the USA in a few weeks, so I'm going to stock up on Ball/Kerr lids as they'll be cheaper and will obviously work better than Kilner ones!  :P
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 10:59:24 AM »
Good idea!  I am hoping we get to go home in maybe January or February (fires and my driving test allowing). I'll be bringing a lot of stuff like that back, too!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab