Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Supply teaching in scotland  (Read 864 times)

• Liked: 7
Supply teaching in scotland
« on: July 24, 2018, 01:27:22 PM »
Does anyone know if I can do supply teaching in Scotland without a license in Scotland.

I’m working on applying, but have run into a snag. One of the documents they ant is currently on a ship headed over to Scotland. But I can’t access it now.

I’m qualified to teach in British Columbia, and England/ Wales. But don’t as yet have it in Scotland.

I’m think8ng I could do some supply work until I can get my hands on that form.
Thanks,
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:
"I will try again tomorrow"

• UK citizen as of Feb, 2019.
  • Liked: 27
Re: Supply teaching in scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 10:31:34 AM »
Hi,

I don’t know if it’s the same in Scotland, because their QTS is different. However, in England I was able to use a US credential until QTS alerter came. My agency took care of the rest. The other thing is, at least in my experience, I needed a US criminal background check which they were able to use until m6 DBS came through. Teaching here is very different-  grading, expectations, etc... let me know if you need further info.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:38 AM »
Thanks for that.
I’ve contacted my local council and they said I have to be registered to do supply.
My documents are still on their way over along with my household goods. I’ll have to wait until they arrive.

Mostly any questions I have is on the behaviour of the kids. When I taught in England 6 years ago, the behaviour was horrible. Then I taught in Canada, and the kids were normal. Some bad eggs but on the whole a joy to teach. And the parents were firmly on the teacher’s side.

I’m a bit afraid that Scotland will be a return to the English ways......  not sure I want to put myself through that again. I don’t mind learning a new system, it’s the behaviour of the students that worries me. I’ve already been told that my local high school is “challenging”. Any teacher in England knows what that means. And the fact that people are actually admitting to it, makes it probably worse than you think...

*sigh*

Any thoughts?
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying:

• Liked: 170
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 12:06:29 PM »
Challenging means welcome back to teaching in the UK. You will have some schools with better behaviour and some schools where it will be worse. On the whole, it is the schools where there are behaviour problems that use supply most regularly. This is because more teachers go off with stress and on the whole 'those' schools have more trouble recruiting. However, supply can be a fantastic way to get to know which schools you should avoid applying to in the first place!

Behaviour is one reason I have left teaching in England (might be temporary if I can't find anything else, sadly). And I was at independent schools!!!
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2018, 12:20:04 PM »
Challenging means welcome back to teaching in the UK. You will have some schools with better behaviour and some schools where it will be worse. On the whole, it is the schools where there are behaviour problems that use supply most regularly. This is because more teachers go off with stress and on the whole 'those' schools have more trouble recruiting. However, supply can be a fantastic way to get to know which schools you should avoid applying to in the first place!

Behaviour is one reason I have left teaching in England (might be temporary if I can't find anything else, sadly). And I was at independent schools!!!

Any tips for a mom who has a child starting school?  I don’t want a kid with bad behaviour!

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:18 PM »
I would say that at Primary you are mostly OK. The smaller they are the better the behaviour.

However, there does seem to be a bit of a war going on in England. I mean that those in any sort of authority are seen as someone to push back against. Teachers are treated like fools, and the kids believe they are better to ignore them then to treat them and the work they set with derision.

As to advice, I’d say begin to instill a healthy respect for authority. Not robotic compliance, but not hatred out of hand. I see a lot of this in schools.

Teach your children also to do their work and to use the teacher as a resource. Teach them to be savvy about who they hang out with.  Stay involved in their life. Have rules and inforce  them. All the way up to year 11. Especially up to year 11. Make sure dad is more and more involved as they grow up. He’s important.

Believe the teacher and back her up. She’s not lying to you about what your student did or is not doing. He will have homework, don’t believe that he doesn’t. I would also check in with the teacher on a regular basis as your child goes through school. Not just the conferences since they are so often not useful. But more often. Three, four times a term make contact and encourage the teacher to speak frankly. Let her know you are supportive of her. Let her k ow that you understand that kids (even yours) aren’t always as wonderful as they think they are. They are human and do Questionable things.

Make sure there are unpleasant consequences each and every time he gets out of line. Stick to your guns...

(Teachers are under a lot of pressure to speak well of all students irregardless of what he’s doing in the classroom. We want to keep our jobs...).

Limit online use at home, and keep the phone at home as they grow up. Technology is one of the biggest problems teachers face in any country. The land line still works just fine, the students don’t need to be in constant contact with parents.

Strive to give your child experiences that will make them have to think on their own instead of being rescued. Forgot their lunch? They can eat it when they get home. No one needs to eat every hour. In fact that bad for their long term health. And if they have to wait until they get home, they will remember next morning.

You are raising an adult, not a child.
Make them strong rather than safe. Someone who is strong is already safe.

My son is 26 and is well adjusted and thriving on his own now. He went to school both in the States and in England. He would tell you exactly that same as I am telling you.
Good luck!
Apologies for the typos!

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 01:19:06 PM »
One more thing:

It might take you a while to convince the teacher that you are on her side, a partner in your child’s education.it will be a rare parent indeed who is on her side.
I would predict that senior management is also not “on her side”. The teacher is the one with full contact with the students, make her your focus.

Teachers have almost the hardest job in the world, and get IT from several sides all at once.
Being a mother is the hardest.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2018, 01:50:07 PM »
Thank you Abercroft.  This is a post I will remember and put into practice!

• Liked: 674
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 03:00:59 PM »
More power to you folks going into teaching! That's a draining profession.

I went through a teacher training program (which, ok, it was a really poorly-run one) and was in a classroom with fourth-graders for a while. Enjoyed the kids, hated the system.  It was one of those "if it's the second Tuesday in March every kid in grade 4 would be on x page in the book, given a specific handout, no working ahead. "My" kids were internationals, mostly military dependents, and waaaay ahead of the curriculum but I had to hold them back. When one of them asked me "Miss Nan, we already know this stuff, so why can't we do something interesting" I had to tell them that I was reeeeally sorry, but that's how the school system worked. And then put up a list of supplementary reading they might want to be doing in their spare time (related to the subject, but more advanced) and got a stern talking-to from my supervising instructor about how that wasn't in the curriculum and how dare I deviate....

Well, that's me, the intellectual deviate!  :) :)

I never finished the program. Woke up one day and it was just "I can't go back there and do that to those kids again." And never did. :-\\\\

Sponsored Links