Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Going back to the States to visit  (Read 1560 times)

• Liked: 9
Going back to the States to visit
« on: July 24, 2018, 06:34:16 PM »
I had a valid driver's license issued in Wisconsin (but I've not been back for 2 years). I'm going back in November. I've not gotten my license here (and don't really plan to, tbh). My question is, can I rent a car in the States?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Liked: 676
Re: Going back to the States to visit
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 07:12:46 PM »
Not without a valid driver's licence, I don't think!

[Edit: Does Wisconsin require you to be a resident to hold a licence? (Most states do, I believe.) If so, and you are no longer considered a resident you no longer have a license. I'm in the same situation - an unexpired California license, but been out of the state for over a year and no longer resident, so it's no longer valid. Having to try to get a license here - automatic will work in the States.]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 07:15:58 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 20
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 07:59:51 PM »
My husband and I just returned from the states last week. We rented a car with his still valid US drivers license. We hadn’t been back for 2 years. He does not have a UK license (I do)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
Thank goodness you didn't have an accident or anything. I can just imagine them popping up with "you don't have a valid license!" and sticking you for the total cost of repairs.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:11:51 AM »
Thank goodness you didn't have an accident or anything. I can just imagine them popping up with "you don't have a valid license!" and sticking you for the total cost of repairs.

My Florida license is still valid even though I live abroad.  It really does vary state to state. 

That being said I only keep the Florida license to get Florida Resident Rates at the theme parks.  ;)

• Liked: 250
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »
Can licences be renewed online? Or do you have to actually step foot in the DMV? I was wondering about this as well. My family lives in the countryside, so I literally have to drive everywhere. I don't want to rely on people for rides.

Or, if my licence expires and I come home to visit, could someone bring me to the DMV to renew it? I won't have a US address anymore, but I could always tell the DMV my parents address right?
Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 12:21:40 AM »
Uhhhh, lieing on a government form can get you in trouble.  ;)  If they find out.

Some states do online renewal, so no problems. Some don't. Some are very restrictive in not allowing you to keep their license if you don't live in the state. Apparently, others are not. You'll need to check in your home state to be sure.

My California license was accepted here for a year, although technically it was not valid once I stopped living in California. I had renewed it in person a couple of months before leaving, so when it expires I could renew it online. Well, it's possible, anyway, but I'm not going to because that would flag me as a resident of the state - and there are state income taxes in California if I'm a resident. Which I'm not, anymore.   

I am now jumping through hoops to get a UK provisional license so I can take driver's ed again, and get an "automatic transmission only" license here. So I will be able to drive when I go back to the States, because you really cannot get around in California without being able to drive. It'll also be nice to have an ID card issued by the UK govmt with my mug shot on it, so I don't have to use my passport as an ID all the time.

Of course, I started the process to get the UK license in early July. Had to wait for my  Irish Passport Card to show up to send back the form they sent me after I initally applied. , I sent it on to the DL people with the form. Sent it special delivery. It's signed for as of the 2nd of this month. And nothing is showing up in the system - it still says they are waiting for the form back from me. But it's only been 5 working days. I'll give it another 5 before I start hyperventilating that they've lost my Irish passport card.  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:24:24 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:35:54 AM »
Uhhhh, lieing on a government form can get you in trouble.  ;)  If they find out.

Some states do online renewal, so no problems. Some don't. Some are very restrictive in not allowing you to keep their license if you don't live in the state. Apparently, others are not. You'll need to check in your home state to be sure.

My California license was accepted here for a year, although technically it was not valid once I stopped living in California. I had renewed it in person a couple of months before leaving, so when it expires I could renew it online. Well, it's possible, anyway, but I'm not going to because that would flag me as a resident of the state - and there are state income taxes in California if I'm a resident. Which I'm not, anymore.   

I am now jumping through hoops to get a UK provisional license so I can take driver's ed again, and get an "automatic transmission only" license here. So I will be able to drive when I go back to the States, because you really cannot get around in California without being able to drive. It'll also be nice to have an ID card issued by the UK govmt with my mug shot on it, so I don't have to use my passport as an ID all the time.

Of course, I started the process to get the UK license in early July. Had to wait for my  Irish Passport Card to show up to send back the form they sent me after I initally applied. , I sent it on to the DL people with the form. Sent it special delivery. It's signed for as of the 2nd of this month. And nothing is showing up in the system - it still says they are waiting for the form back from me. But it's only been 5 working days. I'll give it another 5 before I start hyperventilating that they've lost my Irish passport card.  ;) ;)
It took about 10 days for mine, but I don't know if Scotland is different!

• Liked: 718
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
It took about 10 days for mine, but I don't know if Scotland is different!

I thought the DVLA in Swansea handled all UK driving licence applications.  Anyway, when my son applied last year while he was still living with us it was also very quick, so 10 days sounds about right.

He passed his automatic only test 2 weeks ago today and hasn't yet received his new licence. (The examiner said he didn't need to do anything, it would come by post, but did give him a pass certificate to carry with his provisional licence)
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 10:16:16 AM »

I thought the DVLA in Swansea handled all UK driving licence applications.  Anyway, when my son applied last year while he was still living with us it was also very quick, so 10 days sounds about right.
L

I wasn't sure if it did, so I didn't want to possibly give incorrect info. Thanks for confirming its the same :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
Yeah, it went to Swansea.  I would think it's taking longer because I don't have a UK passport or UK biometric permit of any variety.

I did the original ap and paid online. They sent me a form to fill out that required I provide someone who already had a UK driver's license vouch for me, and a recent photo. And a passport - since I didn't want to send my full Irish passport book, I got an extension and waited for the passport card to arrive. It all was sent back special delivery and was signed for early in the morning of the 2nd. So, it's been 8 days, but only about 5 business days since they got it.  It's just troubling that the online tracker says they are still waiting for my paperwork.  Of course, trackers here don't seem to be updated regularly.... I've had so much problems with paperwork being misplaced by various organizations lately that I'm just a little jumpy about it.

I sent a query in to ask about the status anyway. They're supposed to respond within 3 business days, but warned that they are "experiencing heavy workload" at present (or some such - the code for "we'll get to it when we can get to it.").

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 11:59:18 AM »
Fingers crossed for you Nan, I know how frustrating all this is.  The next piece of paperwork we need to sort out is renewal of our US passports.  We had planned on visiting my wife's sister in Edinburgh in late September and popping in to the US consulate but looking at their updated website it says that they will only deal with passport applications for residents of Scotland.  Guess that gives us an excuse to spend a few days in London and apply in person at the US Embassy, or bite the bullet and do the international money order thing and apply by mail.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
Fingers crossed for you Nan, I know how frustrating all this is.  The next piece of paperwork we need to sort out is renewal of our US passports.  We had planned on visiting my wife's sister in Edinburgh in late September and popping in to the US consulate but looking at their updated website it says that they will only deal with passport applications for residents of Scotland.  Guess that gives us an excuse to spend a few days in London and apply in person at the US Embassy, or bite the bullet and do the international money order thing and apply by mail.

I *think* that if you call them, they will confirm that they will do England passports.  It's worth a phone call anyways.

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
I *think* that if you call them, they will confirm that they will do England passports.  It's worth a phone call anyways.

Thanks, I will try giving them a call.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 10:10:07 AM »
Can licences be renewed online? Or do you have to actually step foot in the DMV? I was wondering about this as well. My family lives in the countryside, so I literally have to drive everywhere. I don't want to rely on people for rides.

Or, if my licence expires and I come home to visit, could someone bring me to the DMV to renew it? I won't have a US address anymore, but I could always tell the DMV my parents address right?

Each state is different about residency requirements and driving license renewals.  Arkansas lets me renew from the UK.  Arkansas requires basic vision screening at each renewal (they have a little viewer thing on the counter at the DMV that you look into and read the letters), so since I was renewing from over here I had to go for an eye exam and have it signed off by an optometrist.  But otherwise, I had no trouble renewing (which is good, because I have to do it again next year, I think).  Check with your state's officials before you leave so you'll know what to expect when the time comes to renew.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab