Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Marriage visa process???  (Read 820 times)

• Liked: 0
Marriage visa process???
« on: December 13, 2004, 01:25:45 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie and would love some reassurance!  My boyfriend and I are planning our wedding ceramony in vermont the end of january.  Is it possible that we'll be denied the Visa based on the info below?

We'll have met 1 week shy of a year.  We'll have only been living together a month.  In that time I'll be in Newcastle job searching, but out of work.  Will they ask about savings, debt etc...????  What kinds of questions should I be prepared to answer?  We plan to go to the consulate direct in NYC to apply.  Are there advantages/disadvantages to this?

Thanks! Kathryn

• Liked: 2
Re: Marriage visa process???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »
Hi, I'm a newbie and would love some reassurance!  My boyfriend and I are planning our wedding ceramony in vermont the end of january.  Is it possible that we'll be denied the Visa based on the info below?

We'll have met 1 week shy of a year.  We'll have only been living together a month.  In that time I'll be in Newcastle job searching, but out of work.  Will they ask about savings, debt etc...????  What kinds of questions should I be prepared to answer?  We plan to go to the consulate direct in NYC to apply.  Are there advantages/disadvantages to this?

Thanks! Kathryn
Hey!  Welcome to UKY!

Unless your picture is plastered at the post office -- for the FBI's 10 MOST wanted -- you shouldn't really worry about getting denied a spousal visa.  Make sure you bring all the documentation WITH you to the consulate.  I know there have been several expats who went thru NYC and they raved how streamlined the process was there.
Good luck! [smiley=clover2.gif]

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 01:35:13 PM »
We'll have met 1 week shy of a year. We'll have only been living together a month. In that time I'll be in Newcastle job searching, but out of work.

If you are a US citizen staying the UK as a visitor, you CANNOT look for work.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 02:39:31 PM »
Click on the link below for my experience in applying for a spousal visa (at the NYC consulate).  The only difference you should be aware of is that you'll need to make an appointment (on the consulate's website) about two weeks before you plan to apply.  The financial questions will center around your bank statements.  Basically, they're looking to see that your fiance can support the both of you until you start working.  You really shouldn't have much trouble unless you're majorly in debt or your fiance is on benefits. 

You're going to be in Newcastle?  Whereabouts?  I'm in Gosforth!   ;D

And yep, like Peedal said, you can't actually look for work over here until you have your spousal visa.  Number one, it's illegal, and number two, nobody's going to think about hiring you until you have proper work clearance.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 02:32:13 PM »
1. make an appointment at the consulate

go prepared with EVERYTHING.  if you search spouse visa on here, you'll see a lot of posts on what people went prepared with etc.  very helpful.  i went with a boatload of stuff.

prepare like no tomorrow!  if you are, it's easy!

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 02:38:03 PM »
as a side note, my husband told the immigration officer in the states that he was here to marry his girlfriend and he was taking me back to the UK (and i had my visa etc.) and the immigration guy looked over his glasses and said to him deadpan: Are you sure you want me to let you in?  This is your out buddy.

My god, they do have a sense of humor afterall!!!   :D

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 11:52:10 AM »
as a side note, my husband told the immigration officer in the states that he was here to marry his girlfriend and he was taking me back to the UK (and i had my visa etc.) and the immigration guy looked over his glasses and said to him deadpan: Are you sure you want me to let you in?  This is your out buddy.

My god, they do have a sense of humor afterall!!!   :D

:lol:
what did your husband do? ;o)

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 12:20:15 PM »
Well, he's got a ring on his finger.  I think he had a laugh with the guy and said 'we've been doing the cross atlantic thing for long enough!  it's about time i married her.  now let me in!'

hehehe.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab