Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: For those craving Cracker Barrel Cheese  (Read 3322 times)

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
For those craving Cracker Barrel Cheese
« on: August 13, 2018, 11:14:39 PM »
Have found this Tasty Lancashire to be a great match, same flavor without the plastic texture of real crackerbarrel  ;D have really missed a good sharp cheddar since being here, and Sansburies was the last place to carry CB cheese
https://www.saddleworthcheese.co.uk/cheese.html

• Liked: 111
Re: For those craving Cracker Barrel Cheese
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 07:29:09 PM »
Forgive me drewshere but you haven't had a good sharp cheddar cheese since being in the UK?

Admittedly, Lancashire cheese is absolutely wonderful (husband is from Lancashire) but England is the land of cheddar.

This totally puzzles me.

My family pays good money to pay for cheddar from England to Texas and it's probably the only thing, food wise, that we miss from England.

I'm thinking you haven't had tried the cave-aged cheddar from Cheddar as it's diving. You can get that at a good cheesemonger or at least at Waitrose.

Please try it.

• Liked: 770
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 10:09:02 PM »
Forgive me drewshere but you haven't had a good sharp cheddar cheese since being in the UK?

Admittedly, Lancashire cheese is absolutely wonderful (husband is from Lancashire) but England is the land of cheddar.

This totally puzzles me.

My family pays good money to pay for cheddar from England to Texas and it's probably the only thing, food wise, that we miss from England.

I'm thinking you haven't had tried the cave-aged cheddar from Cheddar as it's diving. You can get that at a good cheesemonger or at least at Waitrose.

Please try it.
I'm thinking American type sharp cheddar, like from Wisconsin or Vermont. Totally not the same as UK cheddar.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 537
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 10:45:11 PM »
I'm thinking American type sharp cheddar, like from Wisconsin or Vermont. Totally not the same as UK cheddar.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I found  one just like a typical American one in Wales... Dragon brand I think it was.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 10:59:34 AM »

This totally puzzles me.

The British for the most part dont "do" sharp cheddar, loads of mature and other mellower brands of cheddar, but not sharp, Im from New England, and sharp cheddar is pretty much what we grow up on!  ;D I really miss a good New York/Vermont  sharp cheddar on Ritz crackers every now and again, but this cheese company is closest ive tasted, I think the guy who runs it used to be on Coronation Street ! ;D

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »
The British for the most part dont "do" sharp cheddar, loads of mature and other mellower brands of cheddar, but not sharp,

I'm a little confused by this, because, by definition, English Cheddar is called 'sharp' (rather than mature). The very first sentence of the Wiki page on Cheddar states:

Cheddar cheese is a relatively hard, off-white (or orange if spices such as annatto are added), sometimes sharp-tasting, natural cheese.

Then further down it says:
"Cheddar made in the classical way tends to have a sharp, pungent flavour, often slightly earthy. The "sharpness" of cheddar is associated with the levels of bitter peptides in the cheese."
(by classical way, they mean aged in the caves in Cheddar)

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 10:32:43 AM »

Cheddar cheese is a relatively hard, off-white (or orange if spices such as annatto are added), sometimes sharp-tasting, natural cheese.

Then further down it says:
"Cheddar made in the classical way tends to have a sharp, pungent flavour, often slightly earthy. The "sharpness" of cheddar is associated with the levels of bitter peptides in the cheese."
(by classical way, they mean aged in the caves in Cheddar)
[/quote]

Its really confusing, but "mature" which they consider "sharp" is not the same as our "sharp" technically... a true sharp is above mature cheddar in sharpness, look, m not slagging off English varieties of cheddar, but for the most part, they do not recognize sharp cheddar as a separate sub genre , its just kind of thrown in with cheddar, whilst we Americans do.
 Americans do not have the mature varieties that they have here, but kinda blew right past it and went right to sharp varieties. its like pickles here  , everything is a gherkin, whilst Americans have WAY more categories of pickles, and gherkin is just a sub variety.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:43:10 AM »
I found  one just like a typical American one in Wales... Dragon brand I think it was.
OMG, You are correct  ;D just found a Welsh Cheddar at Aldi called Colliers (picture of a miner on wrapper), and its perfect!! So Welsh and Lancashire Tasty are now top of the list!!

Sponsored Links