Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A step in the right direction...  (Read 1075 times)

• UK Resident
  • Liked: 0
A step in the right direction...
« on: December 13, 2004, 04:30:54 PM »
Hello there!  My name is Jen and I am wanting to move to London.  Reason being, I have my boyfriend of six months living there.  He is a wonderful guy and definitely worth moving there for.  I am trying to find some type of right footing to get myself started and get the process moving. 

Here is a little about my situation.  I recently graduated from a private university in Indiana, but I am not quite sure what career path I want to travel down.  I have a degree in broadcast meteorology  with a minor in Ancient Classical Studies(which is an individualized minor focus in Greek language, civilization, mythology, and art histories).

Tomorrow, I am planning on visiting my alumni school and ask about programs offered overseas and if some kind of individualized masters program can be arranged and what stipulations are involved, etc.  I really do not want any more schooling, due to how much I already owe from the last four years, but this being an option, I am willing to look into it to get where I want to be.

Another option I was looking at was getting a job with Starbucks and being transferred over to the London area, if possible.

Besides looking into student visas, what other options can i look at when making my attempts to cross the pond?  I really don't want this to be a pipe dream but a reality, something that I really work at and achieve, with no look backs.  So any advice is good advice and I thank you guys for taking the time to read my schpeel.

~Jen
Aug02-First and foremost, friends on ColdplayMB
Jun04-Jul04 First UK Trip
Aug04-Second UK Trip
Oct04-Jassen's 1st US Trip(Technically 2nd, due to Disney World back when he was 5!):-p
Dec04-May05 Third UK Trip(on Bunac)
May05-June05-Jassen's 2nd US trip
June05-Oct05-My 4th UK Trip
Dec05-Jan06-Jassen's 3rd US Trip
Feb06-Aug06- My 5th UK Trip
Sep06-Oct06-Jassen's 4th US Trip
Dec06-Jan07-Jassen's 5th US Trip
Feb07-Apr07-My 6th UK Trip
May07-Jun07-My 7th UK Trip
Jun07-Jul07-Jassen's 6th US Trip
07-07-07 Got MARRIED!!
Jul07-Moved to UK!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
Re: A step in the right direction...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 04:50:11 PM »
BUNAC program sounds like your best bet.  Good luck!
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2004, 04:50:56 PM »
You could try working here for 6 months on a BUNAC visa,  designed for recent graduates.  

I looked at working at a local Starbucks (Edinburgh), after I was eligible to work in the UK, and I don't know about all Starbucks, but this one required you to be eligible to work in the UK freely (I got another job elsewhere before I finished the application process, anyhow).  But it could be worth chasing up.

• UK Resident
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2004, 09:30:59 PM »
Thanks GUYS!!

I looked on the website and applied for a package that should arrive in the new few days.  It says that I have to enter Britain before the 31st and I am visiting my boyfriend on the 26th, so I will be there already, so I might be moving there for 6 months sooner than i thought and that has me nervous, scared, but willing!

Thanks again....ill be posting more soon!

~Jen
Aug04-Second UK Trip
Oct04-Jassen's 1st US Trip(Technically 2nd, due to Disney World back when he was 5!):-p
07-07-07 Got MARRIED!!
Jul07-Moved to UK!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 11:18:21 PM »
You're welcome.  Good luck and welcome!
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• UK Resident
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 09:17:03 PM »
YEAH!!

The Blue Card from Bunac arrived in the mail today, so I am set with that!!
Thank you guys so so so so SO much for recommending this method.  I put my parents through alot of grief since there was such a short notice of this program, but Im on the up and up and heading there for 6 months!  I just need to change my return date soon.

~Jen
Aug04-Second UK Trip
07-07-07 Got MARRIED!!
Jul07-Moved to UK!

• UK Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 09:19:54 PM »
PS...It is amazing with one little piece of advice or nudge in a direction can take you. I do feel as though my life is changing for the good and I am about to encounter quite the life experience, but im uber excited with a slice of scared/nervous.  It's all good!:-)

Aug04-Second UK Trip
07-07-07 Got MARRIED!!
Jul07-Moved to UK!

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2004, 07:43:00 AM »
I love whirlwinds!
You're at a great age to close eyes and just jump.
Makes life interesting and exciting to grab the possibilities as they race by. I hope your life continues on this direction...they may be some *oops* along the way, but you'll have great stories for the grandkids.

I wish I'd done the same when I was your age. I waited until my 40s to close eyes and jump. The best things I've ever done, even with a few *oops* along the way!
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab