Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Value of masters degrees from UK in the USA?  (Read 2402 times)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
Value of masters degrees from UK in the USA?
« on: December 13, 2004, 08:25:12 PM »
I am planning on joining my British boyfriend for a year of study to get my masters and wanted to know in general if they are valued less in the US b/c they are only 1 year as opposed to 2yrs full time?  ???

Other than that - August can't come soon enough!
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Value of masters degrees from UK in the USA?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2004, 09:50:31 PM »
I think the answer depends more upon the field you are in than the time difference. I have an MA in an area that you more or less can't get in the US. That makes me unique and to some, more desireable.

It also has more to do with the overall British education system that makes MAs one year. You may just need to find a really good way of 'selling' your British MA to an American employer/academic.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 12:51:26 PM »
you should probably check with the university directly....there is a site...www.naric.org.uk...that some universities use to compare qualifications....
« Last Edit: December 17, 2004, 12:54:37 PM by Blondshania »
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 01:56:49 AM »
You might also want to check with the professional organizations that oversee your area of study and then look if the US version and the UK version have an agreement to accept a degree from either country.

For instance if you were to study for an MLIS (Library and Info Science) you need to attend an ALA (American Library Association) accredited school in the US or a CILIP school in the UK for your degree to be recognized by the vast majority of employers. A degree from a CILIP accredited school is accepted by ALA and thus employers requiring an ALA accredited MLIS.

Another thing to consider is that while the program may only be a year long you may have to do a year of work related experience before entering a program, rather than having most of the second year spend doing this as is the case in the US. Again in the library example, most universities in the UK require that you have this before you enter the program, and most US universities make this a huge part of the second year, that you are paying for.

If you can't tell, I'm planning on attending grad school in the UK to study library science. Not only is it cheaper (even as a foreign student), but every librarian I have talked to has said that a degree from a school in the UK will serve me better and make more desireable to employers in the US because I will have had an overseas experience and a greater wealth of knowledge from which to draw.

In short, look at the field in which you are studying and ask people in the field what they think.
12/08/09 - Citizenship submitted via NCS
17/08/09 - Payment taken from account
18/09/09 - Citizenship approved, invitation to ceremony, dated 12/09/09
03/11/09 - Citizenship ceremony

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »
It depends on the discipline. In a humanities discipline where the MA no longer has much autonomous status, then it won't matter if it is a US or UK one.

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 03:53:00 PM »
I have asked around several fellow government workers. I think it will hold just as much value, when taking into consideration the different point of view I will have by being abroad (not so American foreign policy focused).

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

PS: I will just be happy when I have the application finished and my offer letter.

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 08:28:58 PM »
Hi-

I'm a newbie here and I have a related question. I am an accountant in my mid-thirties and am seriously considering doing my masters in the UK. However, I'm a little apprehensive about a) going to a foreign university-will this translate well for an American job?  and b)the money and my age involved.

I know it sounds stupid, but it has been my dream to live/work in the UK and since I researched moving to the UK job-wise and have 0 chance(not qualified), I thought maybe studying could be a second option( I already have brochures from several schools).

I was wondering if anyone else had gotten their mba in the UK and their experiences.

Thanks.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2005, 03:25:09 PM »
My supervisor suggested I contact my undergrad University for more info. I did and I got an answer that they treat UK degrees with the same standard as US ones - so they're just as good. I will be studying International Studies and would like to stay within the US Fed. Gov't. I am going to do some more research. My main reason for studying (besides some time with my brit bf) will be that it is a shorter program. Work would pay for me to attend school here part-time, but I don't find that attractive (working full time and studying part time).

~Opinions and suggestions (like I'm crazy to pay for school when I could have it paid for me) are welcome!

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2005, 10:02:43 PM »
I know it sounds stupid, but it has been my dream to live/work in the UK

It doesn't sound stupid at all- many people on this board have voiced having the same dream.  What difference does your age make (you won't get any younger).  If you can financially do it, I think it is a wonderful opportunity to experience another culture (if my 2 cents means anything!)   :)

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2005, 02:52:19 PM »
The status of the university also makes a difference in some fields....

And dccpa, I'm 36 and doing my Master's and I think your age depends on your field and the university.... On my course most are MUCH younger than me and maybe 3 or 4 are older. No one is near my age, but it doesn't really bug me too much....

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab