Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tests during pregnancy  (Read 11117 times)

• Liked: 170
Tests during pregnancy
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:24:25 AM »
Dear all who know the sh*t time I had going through infertility and IVF (pointing out I'm not the only one - it is literally the worst thing that has happened to anyone going through it),

Well it feels like almost a distant memory (still bitter), but I am 12 weeks tomorrow with a single. 2 scans down already, third one (my '12 week scan') next week. We have three blasts in the freezer too!

Just wondering about tests during pregnancy. I had a raft of bloods done during my initial midwife appointment (no idea what they were for). Has anyone had the Harmony test done? What about rhesus negative and all that?? Should I push for that, or is it likely to have been done in the initial bloods? Something about strep B???

I feel like I had to learn so much Biology during my previous struggle (oh so many women saying I'm late, I must be pregnant.... no, love, you must have ovulated late and *might* be pregnant) and feel pretty clueless now that I've actually managed to get myself upduffed!

Thank you knowledgeable UK YANKEE mums (and mums to be and interested parties!).
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Tests during pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
Eeee!!!! You're pregnant?!!  [smiley=balloon.gif] Huge congratulations, I know how much you wanted this!!! ;D xx

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
Eeee!!!! You're pregnant?!!  [smiley=balloon.gif] Huge congratulations, I know how much you wanted this!!! ;D xx

I know, right?! Still feels very surreal despite all the being sick... But from this point on, I'm out of my depth! Completely understood IVF, options on testing, menstrual cycles... now... crickets.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »
I know, right?! Still feels very surreal despite all the being sick... But from this point on, I'm out of my depth! Completely understood IVF, options on testing, menstrual cycles... now... crickets.

KFdancer will have you sorted out in no time! Don't worry!  ;D

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 12:41:48 PM »
OMG, YAY Physicskate, I am so so so so happy for you!!!!!!!!! 

(Sorry cannae help with the tests, but certainly there are folks here who can!)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
OMG, I teared up reading this!  I've wanted this for you so badly!!!!

Yes, I have ALL SORTS of experience.  While I was fortunate enough to get pregnant without assistance, I had tough pregnancies and know this in and out.

With my second, I got the dreaded phone call after my 12 week scan (combined scan & bloods) that baby was high risk for chromosome abnormalities.  That's a fun phone call to get!  NHS would have paid for CVS (could have been done then) or amnio after 16 weeks.  Both of those are at a risk to the pregnancy, which we weren't willing to do.  Also, I didn't want "what ifs" on my mind.  I wanted to know what we were dealing with so we could have the correct medical team in place and expectations set.

The nurse/midwife who dealt with these cases at the hospital said she would do the Harmony test, even though she wasn't allowed to recommend that as it's not offered on the NHS.  I appreciated her honesty and she assured us that it is the Gold Standard for pregnancy testing.  I was able to go for the testing the very next morning (a Tuesday) and on Friday got the call that baby was perfectly healthy and had no chromosomal abnormalities.  I also found out that I was going to be having a boy!  Which made the week a bit better (I didn't care if it was a monkey but it was fun to have a bit of good news after a horrible, anxious, scary week).  However, it was £500 (this will have been two years ago so prices may have dropped).  Also, I know that it is being rolled out to those as high risk in some areas of the NHS now.  I can only imagine that having amnio costs a LOT more than £500 so seems obvious that this will be introduced by the NHS.

That being said... whether to have the test or not before being classed as high risk or not is a personal choice.  I didn't do it with my first.  And I wouldn't have done it with my second had it not been for that phone call.  I am told that my age already set me at a 1:450 chance of chromosomal abnormalities (as the NHS is a bit archaic in their methods). 

I am RH negative.  That will have been tested for in your  "booking in" blood work.  If you are RH negative, they will tell you at your next appointment.  Do you know your blood type?  I knew I was RH negative before falling pregnant.  You'll have to have a shot at about 28 weeks and then again within 72 hours of delivery. 

I also paid for the Strep B testing.  DO THAT!!!  I cannot believe that is not offered as standard by the NHS.  It's £35 and can absolutely save your baby's life.  I have two friends who had Group B strep and didn't know it and their babies had lots of complications.  Very scary.  You order the kit online (free) and pay the fee when you send it back.  I did both of mine at 37 weeks as it's best to leave it as late as possible. 

Again, I couldn't be happier for you and your husband!!!  What an amazing journey you are about to embark on.  Happy to offer any help I can.

My biggest tip - buy EVERYTHING second hand.  We did and saved a stinking fortune!  Of course, car seat and mattress are exceptions.

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:47:02 PM »
Oh - and my other big tip - join a NCT antenatal class.  Not for what you learn (which you will learn some stuff) but for the friendships!

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 02:39:01 PM »
That's the best news I've heard all week! 

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 03:10:51 PM »
I am SO happy to see this post. I'm very glad you were able to become pregnant after so much struggle.

PS - I really enjoy crocheting baby blankets so if you need an extra, send me a pm with the colors you'd like. :) useful for covering prams and laying on the ground!

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »
Thanks guys!! We're pretty over the moon too! And clueless!!

I take the last of my IVF meds tomorrow!! Whoop!!! It's starting to look like this might work...

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 06:20:33 PM »
Thanks guys!! We're pretty over the moon too! And clueless!!

My health visitor visited after I had my first and I said, “I haven’t read any books!,” slightly worried about the judgement that I was about to unleash.  She said, “She (my daughter) hasn’t either love.”  LOL.

I have yet to read a book.  I just make it up as I go along.   ;D

• Liked: 342
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 04:01:49 PM »
Congratulations. [smiley=balloon.gif]

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
Congratulations:D! I’m so glad you finally got there :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 111
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2018, 06:32:23 PM »
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

• Liked: 424
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 07:20:54 PM »
Dear all who know the sh*t time I had going through infertility and IVF (pointing out I'm not the only one - it is literally the worst thing that has happened to anyone going through it),

Well it feels like almost a distant memory (still bitter), but I am 12 weeks tomorrow with a single. 2 scans down already, third one (my '12 week scan') next week. We have three blasts in the freezer too!

Just wondering about tests during pregnancy. I had a raft of bloods done during my initial midwife appointment (no idea what they were for). Has anyone had the Harmony test done? What about rhesus negative and all that?? Should I push for that, or is it likely to have been done in the initial bloods? Something about strep B???

I feel like I had to learn so much Biology during my previous struggle (oh so many women saying I'm late, I must be pregnant.... no, love, you must have ovulated late and *might* be pregnant) and feel pretty clueless now that I've actually managed to get myself upduffed!

Thank you knowledgeable UK YANKEE mums (and mums to be and interested parties!).
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Such amazing news for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab