Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tough transition to the UK  (Read 4811 times)

• Liked: 25
Re: Tough transition to the UK
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
Sounds fun! It's just me and my 2 year old at the moment as my husband is away on business. Let me see how we are doing that morning to let you know if we can manage the hour long journey (toddlers are so temperamental). I'd love to meet - but I also want to be able to pay attention! If Sunday doesn't work out I'm up for meeting another time since we are local.
We'll have to meet up then, because I'm just in Twickenham.  Even more important is the fact that my wife is a University lecturer and can tell you many things about working here, especially about the local market. 

We are going to the Kempton Park Steam Museum on Sunday (http://www.kemptonsteam.org/  to see the steam engines go and the classic cars.  You could come if you are up for an adventure , or we could meet by the river for a pub lunch.  I know a couple of good pubs with playgrounds.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Type of Application: Priority Settlement Spouse Visa
Online Application: 24 Feb 18 from CO
Biometrics: 27 Feb 18 in CO
Application sent: 28 Feb 18
Decision email received: 28 Mar 18 (16 BD)
Passport received: 30 Mar 18
Landed in UK: 4 Apr 18

FLR(m) 2020
Applied: 7 Sept 20
Biometrics: 16 Oct 20
Granted: 6 Nov 20

ILR-SET(m)
Applied: 8 Mar 23
Biometrics: 27 Mar 23
Granted: 28 Mar 23

Citizenship
Applied: 17 July 23
Biometrics: 04 Aug 23
Granted: 13 Nov 2023
Ceremony booked: 16 January 2024🇬🇧

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 12:07:37 PM »
I've sent you a PM

• Liked: 957
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2018, 01:28:05 PM »
I'll be close to your neighborhood today. I've heard there's also a great south indian restaurant in Hounslow that I need to check out sometime because I love dosas. Heading into London for a job fair today and realised I can park and ride the tube from there instead of suffering on the train to waterloo and having to backtrack through the city.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now so if you ever want to meet up for a coffee it's not too long of a drive for me (pending traffic/accidents). :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2018, 05:36:53 PM »
I'll be close to your neighborhood today. I've heard there's also a great south indian restaurant in Hounslow that I need to check out sometime because I love dosas. Heading into London for a job fair today and realised I can park and ride the tube from there instead of suffering on the train to waterloo and having to backtrack through the city.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now so if you ever want to meet up for a coffee it's not too long of a drive for me (pending traffic/accidents). :)

Sorry for the hijack, but Margo needs to tell me what she learned at the job fair.  What's the most sought after buzzword?  AWS?  Azure?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2018, 06:34:57 PM »
Sorry for the hijack, but Margo needs to tell me what she learned at the job fair.  What's the most sought after buzzword?  AWS?  Azure?
Lol... AI was the main thing, "deep learning" and a load of technology I've never heard of (I'm more of an analyst but figured there was a chance some might be looking for broader/junior roles.) A few cool companies though, gonna dig into python and R and some kaggle competitions with my software engineer husband and hopefully that'll help! (He came with and a bunch of people asked for him to apply - seems java devs are always in demand!)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 57
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2018, 01:40:48 PM »
Just chiming in to say, good luck first and foremost. I did this last year and even though I'd lived in England for several years previously before going back to the US, it was still a tough transition and I can relate to a lot of what you're saying:

We're on the opposite side of London, DH got a pay rise coming here, I took a small hit. We share finances and all, but I know it's still hard to not think about what you had in the US. And it's especially hard not to take it personally. Have you considered volunteering work that you'd be interested in doing -- for say six months -- which would give you someone to use as a UK reference and a way to make your CV look more English?

My husband regrets not getting his US citizenship when he could have, but at the same time I remind him of the taxes situation and I think that very slightly eases the blow.

And I definitely get what you mean about expat groups--but I can say having a coffee or playdates with friendly folks from this site does make a difference and it's so easy in London! Good luck.
Met 2003
Married 2008
Spousal visa 2008-2010
USA 2010-2017
Moved to the UK July 2017
FLR(M) approved June 2020

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab