Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Change last name on BRP  (Read 1063 times)

• Liked: 0
Change last name on BRP
« on: August 26, 2018, 05:39:59 PM »
I’m living in then UK now and I have gotten married how do I change my last name on my BRP card?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Change last name on BRP
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 05:42:53 PM »
You only need to change it if you’ve changed your name on your passport.

Otherwise, best to change it within 90 days of your next visa.  Otherwise it is a LONG and EXPENSIVE process.

Have you changed your passport yet?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 05:52:17 PM »
My passport is expiring in March 2019, I was going to change my last name when I renewed it to save time and money-  how much is the brp? My visa is up in Oct 2019 then I’ll have to renew. What do you advise

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 05:55:11 PM »
You can renew in your maiden name and then change your name for free for 12 months after.  So I’d renew, then send in for the name change when you are a couple of months out from applying.

Changing your name on your BRP is less than £200.... but takes SIX MONTHS to process.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 12:59:00 AM »
Hello,

I was just getting ready to change my name on my US passport this week when I came across this thread. I’m now not sure what to do, as I had no idea that it was so involved to update my name on my BRP.

My passport is expiring in 6 months so I need to renew it as soon as possible. I have also already changed my name with Social Security when I was back in the US last month, so I’m not sure if I could legally renew my passport with my maiden name at this point.

I was planning on taking care of the passport and BRP in the next month, since I was planning to travel in March. But it seems that I completely underestimated the BRP process.

I would appreciate any advice/ update on how long the process normally takes! Also apologies for posting in an old thread - it seemed to exactly match my situation.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 05:00:05 PM »
As long as you file your tax returns using your married name, so it matches your social, it should be okay to have your passport and social mismatched for names.  I would risk that before risking the passport and BRP not matching.

For your travel in March, what name did you use?

The service standard for a name change is 6 months.  It's possible it will be completed earlier but no guarantees.  You can pay an additional £800 for a 24 hour decision, which means you'd have your new BRP in a couple of weeks from application.  Though it's not always a 24 hour turnaround for people.  Seems to have been a bit better service lately though (for the extra £800).

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 10:39:14 AM »
Thanks so much for the advice - I can't believe it's such a long process to change a name! I've decided to renew my passport in my maiden name as you suggested. (Fortunately I was waiting to buy plane tickets until I had the passport renewed anyway.)

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 01:55:39 PM »
You can renew in your maiden name and then change your name for free for 12 months after.  So I’d renew, then send in for the name change when you are a couple of months out from applying.

Hi and sorry for pulling up an old thread. Last year as suggested here, I ended up renewing my passport in my maiden name (after my wedding) to avoid having to apply for a new BRP before my current one expired. I am now getting ready to apply for FLR(M) and was going to update my passport in my married name right before. However, when I went to do this the US Embassy website seems to be saying I can't change my name on my passport if the name change occurred before my last passport was issued. Has anyone actually tried to do this before or am I misunderstanding something?

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 04:29:26 PM »
Hi and sorry for pulling up an old thread. Last year as suggested here, I ended up renewing my passport in my maiden name (after my wedding) to avoid having to apply for a new BRP before my current one expired. I am now getting ready to apply for FLR(M) and was going to update my passport in my married name right before. However, when I went to do this the US Embassy website seems to be saying I can't change my name on my passport if the name change occurred before my last passport was issued. Has anyone actually tried to do this before or am I misunderstanding something?

I’d ask the embassy. I believe you can change your name at anytime.

Sponsored Links