Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My list, so far  (Read 935 times)

• Liked: 325
My list, so far
« on: September 01, 2018, 07:47:31 AM »
I’m going to visit the U.S.in November and am making a list of things to bring back.

Grits
My favorite coffee bean (it’s called Here Be Dragons)
Cheezits crackers (for my husband)

It’s funny, but my list is very short and it occurs to me that I have adapted.  I make my own dill pickles and pickle relish.  I’ve replaced sour cream (which tastes weird to me) with creme fraiche.  I make my own cheeseburgers.

While there I do plan on eating Mexican food, pizza, Publix spicy fried wings with Marie’s blue cheese dressing,  oysters and big shrimp.  I will have a traditional Thanksgiving feast with my family.  Brunch on Saturday morning at a beach bar dive, where she will sip mimosas while I enjoy the best Bloody Mary on the planet.

The things I miss, I can’t bring back.  It’ll be fun to have them while I’m there.

• Liked: 4985
Re: My list, so far
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
I pretty much only bring back drugs.   ;D

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
I’m going to visit the U.S.in November and am making a list of things to bring back.

Grits

It’s funny, but my list is very short and it occurs to me that I have adapted.  I make my own dill pickles and pickle relish.  I’ve replaced sour cream (which tastes weird to me) with creme fraiche.  I make my own cheeseburgers.

While there I do plan on eating Mexican food, pizza, Publix spicy fried wings with Marie’s blue cheese dressing,  oysters and big shrimp.  I will have a traditional Thanksgiving feast with my family.  Brunch on Saturday morning at a beach bar dive, where she will sip mimosas while I enjoy the best Bloody Mary on the planet.

The things I miss, I can’t bring back.  It’ll be fun to have them while I’m there.

Hey Katoo! Love your pic!  :D

Better double the quantity of grits you were planning to bring back, Jimbo's going to see this and you know he will expect some!  ;)

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 08:00:18 AM »
I pretty much only bring back drugs.   ;D

Thanks for the reminder.

Aspirin
Ibuprofen
Antiperspirant
Favorite shampoo and conditioner

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
Hey Katoo! Love your pic!  :D

Better double the quantity of grits you were planning to bring back, Jimbo's going to see this and you know he will expect some!  ;)

My daughter brought me grits in July when she visited.  I’ve really enjoyed having grits with a fried egg on top.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 10:27:26 AM »

Grits

Pickle recipe?! Is it kosher (and easy?!)
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 239
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 10:41:11 AM »
Ohhhh, smuggle me back some proper cooking spray. I need some aerosol. This pump business isn’t working.  :(
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 01:14:59 PM »
Pickle recipe?! Is it kosher (and easy?!)

Sterilize a glass jar.  In bottom of jar put a teaspoon of dill weed, a teaspoon of dill seed, and 3 cloves of sliced garlic.  Put in, believe it or not, one tea bag.  I use a green tea bag so color doesn’t darken. The tea prevents the cukes from getting mushy.  Fill jar with sliced cucumbers, English cukes work great for dill pickle chips.

Fill a pot with one quart water and 3 tablespoons kosher salt.  Bring to boil and stir till salt is dissolved.  Allow to cool to lukewarm and then pour into jar over cukes.  Make sure they are submerged.  Leave about a 1/2 inch of airspace and close jar.  Put in cool dark place (I use a drawer).  Very important:  the pickles ferment.  You must open jar daily to let gas escape.  After 3 to 5 days once they have fermented, keep in fridge.  Easy, kosher, and delicious.

Make sure you use pure salt with no additives as it can hurt the fermenting process.

Try it once.  You’ll be amazed.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 01:17:01 PM by Katoo »

• Liked: 216
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2018, 02:10:11 PM »

Grits

Publix makes the best fried chicken!! I better load up on that before I make my big move over to the UK. LOL! I'm sure once I get there I'll be relegated to making my own fried chicken at home but I don't mind. I think it's kind of nice that I'll be forced to be creative and cook more at home. Here in the states, I dine out/get take out far too often out of either convenience or laziness.

I bet you're looking forward to your US trip. That food will be such a treat!
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 585
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »
I usually bring back large quantities of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, Crystal Light (or the generic version) in various non-citrus flavours, Neosporin, and Secret stick deodorant in vanilla scent.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2018, 06:52:27 PM »
I usually bring back large quantities of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix, Crystal Light (or the generic version) in various non-citrus flavours, Neosporin, and Secret stick deodorant in vanilla scent.

Neosporin added to list.  Thanks!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »
Naproxen?

• Liked: 585
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2018, 09:34:05 AM »
I think I might add grits to my list.  I had them for the first time when I was out there last time, and they were goooooood.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »
Ohhhh, smuggle me back some proper cooking spray. I need some aerosol. This pump business isn’t working.  :(

GO TO COSTCO! :D Bought a 2 pack of MASSIVE bottles of spray a year or two ago and I'm only on bottle 2 hahah

You may need to add some Wheat Thins to your list! LOL I have still yet to find anything here that directly compares with them for my cheese and dips :)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab