Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Labor Unions  (Read 736 times)

• Liked: 957
Labor Unions
« on: September 04, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
It was suggested I look at the various multi-industry labor unions over here so that I have some more support if things go wrong with an employer in the future. In theory they sound like a great idea.

Does anyone have experience with them? Pros/cons? Recommended unions?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 253
Re: Labor Unions
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 07:11:51 PM »
Some of the big generalised unions would be TUC, Unite the Union and GMB. I've never been a member of any of them, but I do talk to them fairly frequently. I imagine they are helpful for their users, but it might be worth it to actually ask people who are members if they find them useful.
2017: Survived a rejected FLR(M) & the wait for Non-Priority Spousal Visa (✿◠‿◠)
2020: ( •̀ᄇ• ́)ﻭ✧ FLR(M) approved
2022: ୧ʕ•̀ᴥ•́ʔ୨ ILR done
2024: (°◡°♡) Citizenship process begun

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 07:13:50 PM »
Yeah, I've found them and their websites... But don't know anyone who is actually a member. And then I had to go to a grievance hearing alone, and immediately knew they could be valuable. So if anyone here does have experience with any I'd love to hear it. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 82
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 09:38:10 AM »
I'm a unite member, as well as a union rep and health and safety rep.

I've never had to utilise the union for a grievance or disciplinary, but I have represented people in there hearings, many who were in the road to bring sacked, but got off with a warning.

Having the safety net is a huge relief for me, especially during our latest restructure.

And the added benefits I get from unite (discounted airport parking, will writing service, and collaborative gas/elec rates are my faves) pay for my membership

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab