Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A question: US and UK water consistency  (Read 3135 times)

• Liked: 16
A question: US and UK water consistency
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:48:34 AM »
Hi folks
I arrived last week and got the residency card ,owing to the experts helping me with the visa, I made the first step and settling in slowly.

I have heard from a few people in the past like a flight attendant, that the UK water is different from U.S

Has anyone noticed this ?? It seems to not clean things well

It still doesn't quite sink in to my head that this is where I will be living for good.  I have lived in 4 different countries in the past but my brain hasn't quite processed this fact;)

• Liked: 239
Re: A question: US and UK water consistency
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:19:11 PM »
It’s all hard water here for the most part. Only issues I’ve run into are just hard water stains in the sink and shower and while washing white canvas shoes.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 12:39:12 PM »
Yeah, the water in the south tends to be hard. Here's the map.

https://www.divapor.com/water-hardness.php

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
Yup, just a different mineral content than you may be used to depending on where you live.

What you'll find:

Your hair may become skanky due to mineral buildup so you may need to find different hair products
Things don't clean as well due to limescale build up
Your clothes are crunchy after washing and drying
Appliances don't last as long

It's fun!  Apparently up north they have lovely soft water.  They get all the good stuff.  ;)

• Liked: 584
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 01:07:02 PM »
It’s all hard water here for the most part. Only issues I’ve run into are just hard water stains in the sink and shower and while washing white canvas shoes.

Apologies if I've got the wrong person in mind, but don't you stay in Peterhead or some place a way up in the north of Scotland?
If so, you've got soft water, according to the map.  (we certainly have soft water in Glasgow/west of Scotland).

• Liked: 957
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 01:08:52 PM »
I have to drink bottled water as the tap water makes me ill. You may want to add a filter on your shower head. And the crunchy towels are the worst! I use vinegar as a fabric softener and it helps a bit.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 01:12:18 PM »
Apologies if I've got the wrong person in mind, but don't you stay in Peterhead or some place a way up in the north of Scotland?
If so, you've got soft water, according to the map.  (we certainly have soft water in Glasgow/west of Scotland).
We've got beautiful water here in Central Scotland.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 239
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 02:32:06 PM »

Nope that’s me  ;D I think we do have soft water but I have what I’ve always known as hard water stains (it’s not bad). Maybe I brought it with me because according to that map, worse we have is not fluffy soft water.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 02:36:51 PM by KristieP2018 »
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 16
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »
Yup, just a different mineral content than you may be used to depending on where you live.

What you'll find:

Your hair may become skanky due to mineral buildup so you may need to find different hair products
Things don't clean as well due to limescale build up
Your clothes are crunchy after washing and drying
Appliances don't last as long

It's fun!  Apparently up north they have lovely soft water.  They get all the good stuff.  ;)

LOL !! Thank you for laying out all the facts ! I am in North London by Highbury Islington. I don't think I am north enough to get the decent water then;)

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
LOL !! Thank you for laying out all the facts ! I am in North London by Highbury Islington. I don't think I am north enough to get the decent water then;)
I bought some English sparkling water from Lidl because it's only 30p for 2 litres and my Scottish husband asked why I was buying the shitey water. Lol

• Liked: 957
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »
I bought some English sparkling water from Lidl because it's only 30p for 2 litres and my Scottish husband asked why I was buying the shitey water. Lol

Lol! I always get the Scottish sparkling water for 50p/2L at Sainsburys. I'd get English for 30p with no complaints.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 08:08:34 PM »
Lol! I always get the Scottish sparkling water for 50p/2L at Sainsburys. I'd get English for 30p with no complaints.

I had no complaints. It honestly tastes exactly the same as the expensive Scottish water.

• Liked: 672
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 08:12:44 PM »
Lovely soft water here in Glasgow. Took a little getting used to - had to change my laundry routine. I came from a place in the States with very hard water, and had all sorts of problems with soap scum and mineral deposits. Was really hard to get shampoo rinsed out of my hair there. Not so here.

And my tropical fish LOVE this water. Which surprises me, a bit.

• Liked: 56
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2018, 06:16:37 AM »

London water is super hard, try not to think about how old the pipes may be delivering that water - either from the mains or the pipes in your house :D

We use a Brita filter for drinking/kettle water but short of putting in a water softening system ( a lot of money and who knows what kind of wonky plumbing they may uncover) you are kinda stuck. I hate it - makes everything look grimy, but I also did some time growing up in Las Vegas and THAT is some SERIOUSLY hard water. This is at least drinkable after a fashion.

The tap water in Austria is incredible, I couldn't stop drinking it!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 09:32:26 AM »
Lovely soft water here in Glasgow. Took a little getting used to - had to change my laundry routine. I came from a place in the States with very hard water, and had all sorts of problems with soap scum and mineral deposits. Was really hard to get shampoo rinsed out of my hair there. Not so here.

And my tropical fish LOVE this water. Which surprises me, a bit.

How do you know?  I can't see any obvious signs of happiness among the fish after I put in the tap water.

I'm baffled about the water conditioning stuff.  The directions say something like add 100 ml to 10,000 liters, but we are just putting in like 500 ml at a time.  So the amount of conditioner we are supposed to put in comes out to be something like 1 ml.  It's almost like homepathy.  What do you do Nan? 

Sponsored Links