Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: There’s a lot to like about food quality here  (Read 3663 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: There’s a lot to like about food quality here
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2018, 06:55:05 PM »
We were thinking of maybe traveling in December, to see a Christmas market and stuff. They have them in the Netherlands, right? Added to good chips, that sounds like a winner of a short vacation!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2018, 07:03:09 PM »
We were thinking of maybe traveling in December, to see a Christmas market and stuff. They have them in the Netherlands, right? Added to good chips, that sounds like a winner of a short vacation!
I'm sure about Christmas markets in NL. I love the entire country though. I have another trip planned in April to see the oldest daughter. This time we will be staying on the other coast.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 216
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2018, 08:11:10 PM »
I have never quite been able to make rice properly. It is always either too gooey or the bottom burns in the pan.  :(
I do like it, though. And now that I have discovered Indian food, I make it several times a month. Thankfully curry masks a multitude of failings. ;D

May I suggest investing in a good rice cooker? You can't fail with those things. My rice comes out perfect every single time. I got a rather cheap one from ASDA and it makes great rice. As long as you use the right measurements, it's great. The one I have here in the states is a little more expensive and it's also a steamer/slow cooker. Makes the absolute best rice. If you like to eat rice, then it's a great investment. The other suggestion is buying the rice that is in the bag and you just microwave it. Tastes great, there are many varieties from which to choose, and they always come out perfect.  :D
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 768
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2018, 08:14:06 PM »
I make my rice like you would a risotto. It comes out beautiful every time. I like a good jasmine or basmati rice.
May I suggest investing in a good rice cooker? You can't fail with those things. My rice comes out perfect every single time. I got a rather cheap one from ASDA and it makes great rice. As long as you use the right measurements, it's great. The one I have here in the states is a little more expensive and it's also a steamer/slow cooker. Makes the absolute best rice. If you like to eat rice, then it's a great investment. The other suggestion is buying the rice that is in the bag and you just microwave it. Tastes great, there are many varieties from which to choose, and they always come out perfect.  :D

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2018, 08:22:05 PM »
Yeah, I thought about a rice cooker. I had one in the States and it was great.

However, I try to not purchase appliances or other kitchen tools that have only one use. Aside from the one-use conundrum, I'm running out of places to put that sort of thing in my kitchen! I'm going to keep working on learning how to do it properly. I may eventually give up and let ASDA or ALDI send me a machine. But for now, I'm into learning how to do it myself. And it's so much cheaper to buy rice in bulk than pre-cooked.

• Liked: 584
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »
May I suggest investing in a good rice cooker? You can't fail with those things. My rice comes out perfect every single time. I got a rather cheap one from ASDA and it makes great rice. As long as you use the right measurements, it's great.

Love my rice cooker... i use Thai jasmine rice in it, and it's lovely.

The other suggestion is buying the rice that is in the bag and you just microwave it. Tastes great, there are many varieties from which to choose, and they always come out perfect.  :D

Gotta disagree on this.  Microwave rice is pretty awful when compared to nice fluffy rice-cooker rice!  The only microwave rice i like is the Tilda brown basmati, but OH thinks it's too 'chewy'.

« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2018, 08:41:41 PM »
Love my rice cooker... i use Thai jasmine rice in it, and it's lovely.

Gotta disagree on this.  Microwave rice is pretty awful when compared to nice fluffy rice-cooker rice!  The only microwave rice i like is the Tilda brown basmati, but OH thinks it's too 'chewy'.

I've gotten a really nice microwave Pilau rice and Basmati rice from M&S. I agree that rice cooker rice is definitely the best though!

• Liked: 325
« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2018, 07:59:37 AM »
To be honest, I never found good tomatoes in a grocery store, neither here nor in the U.S.  I grew a lot of cherry tomatoes in containers this year, just eating the last of them now.  They were good.  When I buy them in the shop, I buy the ones with attached stems, they seem better.

I’m currently trying to lose weight, too.  I’ve packed on some pounds.  I really like to eat.  I really like to cook.

• Liked: 85
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »
Yeah, I thought about a rice cooker. I had one in the States and it was great.

However, I try to not purchase appliances or other kitchen tools that have only one use. Aside from the one-use conundrum, I'm running out of places to put that sort of thing in my kitchen! I'm going to keep working on learning how to do it properly. I may eventually give up and let ASDA or ALDI send me a machine. But for now, I'm into learning how to do it myself. And it's so much cheaper to buy rice in bulk than pre-cooked.

Rinse your rice! Getting those surface starches out with a couple minutes of agitation makes the texture and cooking process so much better. For some long-grain types (e.g. basmati), you need to do the rinse-soak-rinse process before cooking.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »
How long does it take to cook rice in a rice cooker?

• Liked: 584
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2018, 12:10:49 PM »

15 minutes

« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »
To be honest, I never found good tomatoes in a grocery store, neither here nor in the U.S.  I grew a lot of cherry tomatoes in containers this year, just eating the last of them now.  They were good.  When I buy them in the shop, I buy the ones with attached stems, they seem better.

I’m currently trying to lose weight, too.  I’ve packed on some pounds.  I really like to eat.  I really like to cook.

Yeah, I know how that goes! They have only a small range of cheese here, but what they have is spectacularly good. (Unless you go to the specialty shops, that is.) That's been my downfall - the cheese. Soooo many extra calories. But such lovely calories....  ;D

« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2018, 12:56:48 PM »
Rinse your rice! Getting those surface starches out with a couple minutes of agitation makes the texture and cooking process so much better. For some long-grain types (e.g. basmati), you need to do the rinse-soak-rinse process before cooking.

Maybe that's it. I have just been putting the rice in with water and salt....

« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2018, 03:34:15 PM »

Depends on how much rice and what type. Brown rice takes a bit longer than others in my experience. But I think my cooker takes about 20 minutes in general.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab