Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a mortgage on a uk spouse visa  (Read 1935 times)

• Liked: 10
Getting a mortgage on a uk spouse visa
« on: September 29, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
I'm wondering if people who reside in the UK on a spouse visa are able to be on a mortgage?

Or if it's not a good idea to do that?

Also, is it possible for just the UK citizen spouse to get the mortgage if it would be easier?

Thank you.

• Liked: 1327
Re: Getting a mortgage on a uk spouse visa
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »
I'm wondering if people who reside in the UK on a spouse visa are able to be on a mortgage?

Or if it's not a good idea to do that?

Also, is it possible for just the UK citizen spouse to get the mortgage if it would be easier?

Thank you.

Some (many?) mortgage lenders won't consider the US spouse who is still subject to immigration control.  Ours said that because there was no guarantee that I would be allowed to remain in the UK, the lender couldn't be satisfied that I would continue to make payments on a home I couldn't occupy.  It is possible (I think) to find a lender who will, but you will likely require a much higher deposit and will pay a higher interest rate.

Somewhat related, there are US tax obligations associated with capital gains if the US person is named as an owner of the property and you later sell it.  On my and my husband's case, I was left off the mortgage (woohoo!), and left off the deed (boo, no free house).  But I was included in the documents somewhere as a legal occupier the house.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 325
Re: Getting a mortgage on a uk spouse visa
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 05:58:43 PM »
My husband and I just got approved for a joint mortgage and I’ve only lived her 1 1/2 years.  But we’re both retired and on pensions, which apparently banks love.  Also, we made a substantial down payment.

US tax implications aren’t cause for alarm for us either.  My husband got his US  citizenship when we lived there and we both get social security.

Sponsored Links