Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Full time or Part time  (Read 1322 times)

• Liked: 16
Full time or Part time
« on: October 03, 2018, 07:37:23 PM »

Hi

Now that I am settled in, I started to look for a job.

Sorry to come up with a trivial debate but I don't really have that many friends in UK to discuss with.

I am in my mid 40 and I am child free. I have some experience in a few industries but I don't really have one particular field where I want to devote myself at this point of my life.

While I don't have to pay mortgage or living expenses, I need to be earning spending money such as traveling back and forth to U.S

The average wage here seems way lower than what I can make in NY so I feel discouraged to work my butt off for a full time for that kind of money.

Is anyone on the same situation as mine?

Want to work but don't want to work "that "hard ;)

What types of part time are you people doing if you are doing a part time ?
And if you don't mind sharing with me, what sort of income range should I expect?

I would appreciate some directions.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Full time or Part time
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:40:05 PM »
I can't help directly with this but wanted to wish you lots of luck in your job search!  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 07:43:27 PM »
I feel like you have the right attitude if you only need spending money. Would you be open to working for charities? That's where I see the most part time work posted.

The salary sticker shock is the worst. Cost of living here is higher thanks to real estate but wages have been stagnant for years. :(

Good luck with your search!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 239
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
Same boat.  I’m looking for part time now. I want to get used to how things are here before I dive in full time. Plus the nursing council here make it very difficult and expensive to get registered so it’ll be a while before I could go part time anyway.

UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »
My thoughts exactly. I have pretty much lost hope that the Nursing and Midwifery Council will ever think they have enough evidence to show I can be a nurse in this country let alone allow me to make a living wage. I'm currently being a stay at home mom, which I'm enjoying but I would live some extra money to travel!! That's why we're here after all! Would love some job hunting tips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 16
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
Same boat.  I’m looking for part time now. I want to get used to how things are here before I dive in full time. Plus the nursing council here make it very difficult and expensive to get registered so it’ll be a while before I could go part time anyway.

Thank you
I have applied for some retail jobs as they seem to be hiring part timers.
I have just moved here last month and been wanting to travel extensively in Europe now that it's so much closer to go all the places American can only travel on their honeymoon !!  That's why I don't feel like being employed for a full time to have some freedom to enjoy things.

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 12:29:27 PM »
I would recommend checking the TUC (trades union congress) for part-time job openings. Take a look at: https://www.tuc.org.uk/jobs.

My first job in the UK was the worst. I worked as a finance admin for this super corrupt corporation and it was soul-destroying, but I was desperate to start working. My partner works for a trade union and advised me to keep checking the TUC website for vacancies. Anyway, I landed a job with an excellent trade union and have been there a little over 6 months now. Honestly, trade unions are some of the best employers -- they usually have high pay and some of the most fair and flexible T&C's. You are definitely more protected in terms of your rights, etc. And it's incredibly difficult to get sacked. They are also supportive employers that encourage moving up if that's what you want and they will usually sponsor any training you want to undertake.

I did not come from trade union background in the US (I worked in fine arts), but I gave the application my all and landed a full-time admin role that pays £22,000 (which happens to be very good for my location and is exorbinatly higher than my first job). The work is very easy and the benefits are amazing.

I've kind of become a trade union fangirl since I undertook this role, so I don't mean to come on strong  :P Just a suggestion.

Best of luck in your job search!
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:05:59 PM »
I'm intrigued by this trade union business. There's a job posted near me that is paying stupid money. What is it actually?

• Liked: 585
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 06:18:14 PM »

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »

• New York >> South Yorkshire
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 11:54:35 AM »
I guess the simplest answer is that a trade union's main purpose is to protect and improve the working rights of its members which are from a specific sector of the job force (could be anything from teachers to fast food workers to engineers, etc). They also represent their members if they become involved in a legal dispute with their employer. The most common issues are securing better pay, improving health & safety on the job and addressing various kinds of discrimination/inequality in the workplace.  Members pay subscription fees to the union and are generally activists that campaign and recruit for the union as well.

Vacancies can be difficult to land as the application and interview processes are usually pretty extensive and competitive. If you do go for it, just make sure you really put a strong effort into the application. At the interview stage (in addition to the actual panel) there will likely be a timed test such as Excel graphing, letter-writing and sometimes even role-playing scenarios. I'm only trying to prepare you - not freak you out!  ;D I thought I came off too nervous at my interview, but it all turned out ok. I think the most important thing is to thoroughly research the union you'd be applying to and play up your interest and knowledge of their campaigns, successes, etc. Another good approach is if you ever had a job in the past where you wanted to see conditions improved for its workers - you can speak about your feelings on that as it will come off sincere, personal and relevant.

Edit: If you have no trade union experience from your home country or the UK, do not apply for anything above Clerical/Admin/Reception/Membership to start with. If you have office management experience, you can probably aim a bit higher - but don't go for Organiser or Officer roles at your first try (despite the tempting pay). You can get training for more advanced roles once in a post with the union as they generally encourage promotion and learning from within.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 12:10:29 PM by new-yorkshire »
Married in NY: 18 April 2017
Spouse Visa received: 29 June 2017 (27 business days, Priority)
Relocated to UK: 16 July 2017
FLR(M) biometrics: 28 February 2020 (online app 17 January 2020)
FLR(M) granted: 12 March 2020 (10 business days, Standard) *BRP received 2 April 2020
ILR forecast: 17 July 2022 - 10 October 2022

• Liked: 46
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:42:19 AM »
The average wage here seems way lower than what I can make in NY so I feel discouraged to work my butt off for a full time for that kind of money.

I definitely relate to this. I recently had an interview for a job that paid £18,000, and while it was very similar to my last US job the pay was significantly less. What stuck out to me though was that they’re a company that likes to promote from within and encourage people to move up. My last US job had quite happily pigeonholed me, and even though they offered to make an arrangement for me to continue working for them from the UK, I had gone as far as I could go.

So yeah, the wages are less but I appreciate the possibility of moving up and earning more. And ultimately if moving up means the pay rise isn’t quite right, then it could be a matter of taking my experience and knowledge elsewhere.
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

• Liked: 537
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 01:25:54 PM »
I definitely relate to this. I recently had an interview for a job that paid £18,000, and while it was very similar to my last US job the pay was significantly less. What stuck out to me though was that they’re a company that likes to promote from within and encourage people to move up. My last US job had quite happily pigeonholed me, and even though they offered to make an arrangement for me to continue working for them from the UK, I had gone as far as I could go.

So yeah, the wages are less but I appreciate the possibility of moving up and earning more. And ultimately if moving up means the pay rise isn’t quite right, then it could be a matter of taking my experience and knowledge elsewhere.
Yeah, pay is pretty crap here, but I'm earning about $35k now (£27k).

My first job here was minimum wage, or about £13k pounds. My next job as a Sales and Marketing assistant was only £16k. The job after that got me a good pay rise (for the East Midlands) at £24k. I'm now on £27k which is more than my hubby in a pharmaceutical field.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 46
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 05:47:21 PM »
Yeah, pay is pretty crap here, but I'm earning about $35k now (£27k).

My first job here was minimum wage, or about £13k pounds. My next job as a Sales and Marketing assistant was only £16k. The job after that got me a good pay rise (for the East Midlands) at £24k. I'm now on £27k which is more than my hubby in a pharmaceutical field.

That's awesome! Even though I've not landed a job here yet, the ones I've applied for already feel more promising then the last position I held in the US. Maybe it just depends on the industry you find yourself in, but I already feel like there's more opportunities to progress than any opportunities that could have come up for me in the US.
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab