Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cat poop  (Read 4815 times)

• Liked: 239
Cat poop
« on: October 09, 2018, 05:16:03 AM »
For the first couple of weeks, our rescue kitty did great with using the litter box. This last week, he keeps pooping just outside the box. I kept thinking it was because there was already pee in it and he was being finicky. Is it just that or do I need to worry?
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 6110
Re: Cat poop
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 06:19:18 AM »
For the first couple of weeks, our rescue kitty did great with using the litter box. This last week, he keeps pooping just outside the box. I kept thinking it was because there was already pee in it and he was being finicky. Is it just that or do I need to worry?

It could well be that. I think you said you use pellets so presumably you change the whole thing only every few days? I prefer clumping litter because you can remove all the waste as soon as it occurs. You could consider changing or at least trying it in one of your boxes.
How many boxes do you have? It would be a good idea to bring in a couple more.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 06:32:45 AM »
It could well be that. I think you said you use pellets so presumably you change the whole thing only every few days? I prefer clumping litter because you can remove all the waste as soon as it occurs. You could consider changing or at least trying it in one of your boxes.
How many boxes do you have? It would be a good idea to bring in a couple more.

Yea we use wood pellets. The urine turns to sawdust so I take all of that out and you can just scoop the poop and flush it because it’s just poop (no litter attached).

He has two boxes. One downstairs and the other upstairs. We even bought a slighter bigger box for the upstairs thinking that he might not have enough room to poop in it. The one downstairs seems to be big enough.

I empty it as soon as he uses it most times and clean and completely change each out once to twice a week.

We may try changing out one of the boxes with clumping litter and see if it makes a difference.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
I hope that works. Fingers crossed.  :)

I just had a look and there are many articles on the subject if you google it. Some also mention the position of the box. It should be in a quiet area but somewhere that he can make an easy getaway!

• Liked: 248
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »
Sometimes the pellets hurt their feet so they are put off using the litter tray. 

I use clumping cat litter.  It is quite expensive - but clumps so well and keeps the odour down.  The result is that it lasts much longer than cheaper stuff.

Is his tummy alright?  He doesn't have a little upset does he?

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:28:25 AM »
If he has a tummy upset he may not make it to the litter tray.

If the sides of the tray are too high for him - and he has a problem with his joints (which you would not know about) he may actually have a prob getting into the tray.

Last week we had a similar problem with a cat going inside the litter tray, but obviously getting the edge (and consequently poop sliding down the outside) of the tray.  And it was obvious there was a tummy problem.

As we have 7 cats it is a challenge to find which one without going on poop watch 24 hours.

So I left them a couple of hours without food and I gave them all chicken and rice which they all wolfed down at first but didn't want anymore - problem solved.  They are all back in routine.

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:35:37 AM »
Sometimes the pellets hurt their feet so they are put off using the litter tray. 

I use clumping cat litter.  It is quite expensive - but clumps so well and keeps the odour down.  The result is that it lasts much longer than cheaper stuff.

Is his tummy alright?  He doesn't have a little upset does he?

No evidence of upset stomach. The poop is very close to the box so it may not be in the original position I had it in  :D. He was on the pellets at the SPCA and they had him for over a month so not sure if that’s it but we’re going to grab a clumping litter to test it out.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:39:03 AM »
If he has a tummy upset he may not make it to the litter tray.

If the sides of the tray are too high for him - and he has a problem with his joints (which you would not know about) he may actually have a prob getting into the tray.

Last week we had a similar problem with a cat going inside the litter tray, but obviously getting the edge (and consequently poop sliding down the outside) of the tray.  And it was obvious there was a tummy problem.

As we have 7 cats it is a challenge to find which one without going on poop watch 24 hours.

So I left them a couple of hours without food and I gave them all chicken and rice which they all wolfed down at first but didn't want anymore - problem solved.  They are all back in routine.

No problems getting in or out of the tray to pee and he pooped in it all the time until last week. At first I thought it was because my husband didn’t clean the sides of it out properly after he had pooped but I cleaned it and he still misses it.

I’ll try all the things and hope something fixes it. He’s too cute to be mad at. He’s just nit hitting the target.  I just say “oopsie” and he meows at me and I give him a pet.

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:41:47 AM »
No evidence of upset stomach. The poop is very close to the box so it may not be in the original position I had it in  :D. He was on the pellets at the SPCA and they had him for over a month so not sure if that’s it but we’re going to grab a clumping litter to test it out.

Make it nice and deep so he can dig a good big hole in it!   :)

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 09:46:27 AM »
Make it nice and deep so he can dig a good big hole in it!   :)

He is an expert digger  ;D

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 09:52:09 AM »
You are doing all the right things so, hopefully, kitty will get the idea soon.

And, obviously, kitty is already training you and hubby to be his servants.  This is as it should be.

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 09:52:39 AM »
We need pics of the little fella.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 09:53:47 AM »
You are doing all the right things so, hopefully, kitty will get the idea soon.

And, obviously, kitty is already training you and hubby to be his servants.  This is as it should be.

Oh he definitely has me as a servant for sure. Hubby not as much lol. I consider myself much like a cat so I think, if I wouldn’t like it then my cat wouldn’t either.  ;)

FLR(M) Standard

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
Have you seen him in the box?  Does it have a lid?  Mine have always preferred the boxes with lids.  Sobe hangs his head out the opening.  I'm just wondering if your boy maybe thinks his bottom is in the tray when it's not?

Copper used to dig for half an hour before doing anything.  Then dig for another half hour after.

Since she passed, we've discovered Sobe doesn't dig AT ALL and just poops in the exact same spot so the box has a "poop mountain."  Men of any species really do need a woman to help them remain socially acceptable.  ;D

Sponsored Links