Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Dropping off CVs in person  (Read 811 times)

• Liked: 2
Dropping off CVs in person
« on: October 12, 2018, 01:08:23 PM »
Hello,

I am in the midst of applying for jobs as I just received my work permit.  I am applying for basic entry level jobs in organisations that I would really like to work for in the long term. I am over qualified for some of them but my vision is to just get my foot in the door right now.  I am wondering if it would help (or hinder) me to drop off my CV in person after applying for the position online?  The idea being that if I meet someone in person, they would remember me and ideally have a better look at my CV and application for the job.

In America, it is more or less acceptable to do this (a way of taking initiative) but I am not sure if it comes across as desperate or unnecessary in England.

If you have any advice on ways to stand out or ways to secure an interview, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance for your reply.

• Liked: 6111
Re: Dropping off CVs in person
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 01:34:19 PM »
Hello,

I am in the midst of applying for jobs as I just received my work permit.

Congratulations on your FLR!  ;D How long did it take in the end?

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:36:28 PM »
Thank you! :) It took EXACTLY 8 weeks! I decided to not be stressed about it until after the first day of the 9th week - so no stress came about in the end. Thanks for asking!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 01:41:18 PM »
I suspect it depends on the type of role.  Everywhere I've worked in the UK, the building is secure and you need a pass to get in or be buzzed in.  And then you'd only get as far as security/reception. 

Basically, I don't think it would hurt.  But I don't know that it would necessarily get you to the right place.

However, if it's retail or a restaurant - something that isn't a secure building - I'd think dropping your CV off directly is the right way to go.

• Liked: 46
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 11:46:37 AM »
I recently had a recruiter suggest the approach of finding the name and contact info of someone in HR and reaching out directly. It wouldn’t hurt to try it and make sure they know who you are and that you’re interested. Plus it saves you struggling to get into a secure building like KFDancer pointed out.  ;D
Married - 15th April 2018
Spouse visa approved - 16th July 2018
Arrived in the UK - 8th August 2018
FLR approved - 13th April 2021
Little one’s arrival - 18th March 2022
ILR approved - 27th Jan 2024

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »
That's great, thank you so much for the tip! :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 01:04:28 PM »
As KF said, I don't think it would hurt. But, to be honest, I don't see it being an extra help. I see it as sort of neutral ground over here (with a small percentage of a business liking it enough to be helpful and a small percentage finding it odd compared to what they're used to). I would just say to do what is right for you though. Maybe try the approach to reach out to the HR contact as Kay suggested? Or try going in person to one place and see if it feels like the right approach for you.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links