Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travelling with aggressive dog.  (Read 2147 times)

• Liked: 3
Travelling with aggressive dog.
« on: November 01, 2018, 02:32:17 AM »
We have two rescued cocker spaniels that we adopted in 2010. They are 10 -12 years old  and good companions. One is aggressive however towards strangers due to the fact that he was probably badly mistreated in his life before we got him.
I'm wondering if this will be a problem with custom officials if they try to handle him ? He only weighs 25 lbs and I'm sure after a long flight he will be unsettled and agitated.
Anyone here had experience with a temperamental dog coming from USA to UK ?

• Liked: 4985
Re: Travelling with aggressive dog.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:19:17 AM »
No personal experience (I moved some seriously lazy cats).

However, the Animal Reception Centre receives in ALL SORTS of animals.  They did a special on it once.  They showcased a tiger, racehorse, and a Gharial.  Was a fascinating show.

They are super friendly.  If you call the Animal Reception Centre for the airport that will be receiving in your dogs, they will tell you what to do to ensure it's as stress free for them, you, and of course the pup!

• Liked: 216
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »
No personal experience (I moved some seriously lazy cats).

However, the Animal Reception Centre receives in ALL SORTS of animals.  They did a special on it once.  They showcased a tiger, racehorse, and a Gharial.  Was a fascinating show.

They are super friendly.  If you call the Animal Reception Centre for the airport that will be receiving in your dogs, they will tell you what to do to ensure it's as stress free for them, you, and of course the pup!

This is comforting to read. I want to bring my fur children here. My dog is scaredy cat. And my cat is a b****!!  [smiley=laugh3.gif]
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

• Liked: 24
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 06:18:55 PM »
I brought my dog back in July 2014. Used United cargo. It was a wonderful experience!! You always hear about the negatives but I had absolutely no issue. My dog left from Tampa, to Heathrow through Newark. United kept me updated at every check point, and when they fed him, etc. When he arrived, the people over here were wonderful and caring. Even cleaned out his kennel. My dog is a nervous/non trusting type and was 8 years old. He's Chow Chow cross Husky. He LOVES the cold weather here. He was struggling in Florida at times.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:44:09 PM »
I brought my dog back in July 2014. Used United cargo. It was a wonderful experience!! You always hear about the negatives but I had absolutely no issue. My dog left from Tampa, to Heathrow through Newark. United kept me updated at every check point, and when they fed him, etc. When he arrived, the people over here were wonderful and caring. Even cleaned out his kennel. My dog is a nervous/non trusting type and was 8 years old. He's Chow Chow cross Husky. He LOVES the cold weather here. He was struggling in Florida at times.

I’m from Clearwater!

• Liked: 24
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:28:37 PM »
I'm from Tampa!!! Tampa Bay, represent!

• Moving to London area late 2019 - early 2020
    • Our band - Ockham's Razor
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2018, 05:40:32 AM »
I was born and raised in Bradenton, moved to Tampa when I was 18 to go to college then moved to Orlando when I was 20 to go to a different college.

Love Tampa but don't miss living in the South. :)

Experience with aggressive dogs or Anyone here from Florida ?
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »
I was hoping to hear about people experiences with dogs in airports ,maybe I should change the title of this thread to " anyone here from Florida "   ::)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 04:33:28 PM by mrcolin2u »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2018, 04:35:10 PM »
I was hoping to hear about people experiences with dogs in airports ,maybe I should change the title of this thread to " anyone here from Florida "   ::)

Sorry.  :) Going off topic is par for the course here. We're a chatty bunch!  :)

Did you manage to call the animal reception centre? Were they able to put your mind at rest?

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »
Sorry.  :) Going off topic is par for the course here. We're a chatty bunch!  :)

Did you manage to call the animal reception centre? Were they able to put your mind at rest?
No worries  :) I'm still in the early planning stages but thankful to gather as much useful information as possible from someone who's been through this themselves .
Thanks
Colin

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 04:49:40 PM »
No worries  :) I'm still in the early planning stages but thankful to gather as much useful information as possible from someone who's been through this themselves .
Thanks
Colin

The other thing you could do (I did it myself because I wasn't sure if the cages I bought were suitable) is visit the cargo depot that you will be dealing with on the outward journey and see what they have to say. I found it reassuring to speak with the actual people involved.

• Liked: 11
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 05:17:57 PM »
I brought my dog here in 2009 via Virgin (NY to London). Star was also abused  in her early life, and absolutely did not like men. At all.

I thought it would've been an absolute nightmare, as the cargo folks were mainly those of the male variety. Not so much! Oh, sure... Star barked away incessantly, and as a German shepherd, looked rather scary to people who didn't know her. But those guys seemingly didn't even notice her. They simply went about their tasks, ignoring her barks, moving her crate as needed.

As a ps, I picked her up at Animal Reception at Heathrow, and she came bounding out, happy as...  :)

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:07 AM »
I brought my dog here in 2009 via Virgin (NY to London). Star was also abused  in her early life, and absolutely did not like men. At all.

I thought it would've been an absolute nightmare, as the cargo folks were mainly those of the male variety. Not so much! Oh, sure... Star barked away incessantly, and as a German shepherd, looked rather scary to people who didn't know her. But those guys seemingly didn't even notice her. They simply went about their tasks, ignoring her barks, moving her crate as needed.

As a ps, I picked her up at Animal Reception at Heathrow, and she came bounding out, happy as...  :)
I'm glad you got Star to London safely ! We're coming from LA so it will be a longer flight unfortunately .
Thanks for your input,  they must get used to all types of dogs at the airport !
Cheers
Colin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab