Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Winchester!!  (Read 2043 times)

• Liked: 29
Winchester!!
« on: November 21, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
Hi everyone! My husband has been offered a transfer with his current job in hursley! We are super excited, and you all have been very very helpful with everything! As of now, we are waiting for my husband and four children’s UK passports to come in the mail and for more information on the salary package he will be offered as he will officially be changing from IBM in the US to IBM in the UK. Thankfully he will be able to transfer as on the current band level and will not be “starting” over on the ladder.

Anyways, I have a couple of questions....

-does anyone have personal experience with Winchester?? I’ve been reading and googling as much as possible, but would love to hear from anyone who knows it personally.

-I will need a spouse visa...what should I do now to get the ball rolling for that?

-advice on where to start with schools?

-would it be better to go ahead and move within the next few months or wait until our summer break starts here in the US? Pros/cons for housing/schools/etc???

Thanks so much everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
Re: Winchester!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 07:47:40 PM »
I've visited Winchester and its a really lovely place. It's a bit touristy so it can be crowded, especially on weekends with their Xmas Market. I don't know much else though! I'm glad they are transferring him. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 170
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »
Anyways, I have a couple of questions....

-I will need a spouse visa...what should I do now to get the ball rolling for that?

-advice on where to start with schools?

-would it be better to go ahead and move within the next few months or wait until our summer break starts here in the US? Pros/cons for housing/schools/etc???

1 Start doing your research on what you need for your spouse visa and how to meet the three requirements: financial, accommodation and relationship. You can start filling in the online application and ask any questions in the visa forum (BUT DO NOT SUBMIT UNTIL EVERY PIECE OF EVIDENCE IS IN YOUR HANDS). A good place to start on your research is:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf
You are likely to either want to choose Category B or the savings route.

What ages/ grades are your kids in now??
2004-2008: Student Visa
2008-2010: Tier 1 PSW
2010-2011: Tier 4
2011-2014: Tier 2
2013-2016: New Tier 2 (changed jobs)
16/12/15: SET (LR) successful! - It's been a long road...
12/05/16: Citizenship ceremony!

• Liked: 29
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2018, 09:06:31 PM »
1 Start doing your research on what you need for your spouse visa and how to meet the three requirements: financial, accommodation and relationship. You can start filling in the online application and ask any questions in the visa forum (BUT DO NOT SUBMIT UNTIL EVERY PIECE OF EVIDENCE IS IN YOUR HANDS). A good place to start on your research is:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/636618/Appendix_FM_1_7_Financial_Requirement_Final.pdf
You are likely to either want to choose Category B or the savings route.

What ages/ grades are your kids in now??

Thank you! We will be able to meet the spouse visa requirements either through savings route or via his job whichever is easier/fastest!

Our children are 8 years (10/2010), 6 years (6/2012), 4 years (04/2014) and almost 1 year (12/2017)....

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
I worked in Winchester for a few years and it's a really nice place.  Consistently voted one of the nicest places to live in the UK.

Of course, and this won't be the first time you'll hear this, it's super expensive.  Everyone wants to live there.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 08:54:45 AM »

Thank you! We will be able to meet the spouse visa requirements either through savings route or via his job whichever is easier/fastest!

Our children are 8 years (10/2010), 6 years (6/2012), 4 years (04/2014) and almost 1 year (12/2017)....

Schools will likely be a nightmare no matter when you move, so may as well pull the bandaid off and go for it.  Just be prepared to home school for a bit while they get places.  And they may end up at different schools.  You may want to consider private school if you want them to go to the same school (you might get lucky and find all 3 a spot at one).

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 10:06:24 AM »
Can only comment on Winchester. Will just confirm what others said that Winchester is lovely.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab