Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visiting in December  (Read 553 times)

• Liked: 29
Visiting in December
« on: November 24, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »
Hey everyone! As we prepare for our move to England in the coming months, my husband and I are visiting in a week and a half. Is there anything we should do that will make things run smoother? Should we open a bank account? Any practical tips are much appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 3595
Re: Visiting in December
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
Honestly, there's not really anything you can do as a visitor... because to do things like open a bank account, you'll need:
- your spousal visa
and
- proof of your UK address, such as a council tax or utility bill in your name

But you won't have either of those as a visitor.

I think the best thing you can do on your visit is to just take in your surroundings and get to know the area you will be living in a bit better :).

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2018, 06:45:03 PM »
Honestly, there's not really anything you can do as a visitor... because to do things like open a bank account, you'll need:
- your spousal visa
and

I think the best thing you can do on your visit is to just take in your surroundings and get to know the area you will be living in a bit better :).

Thanks!!

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »
- your spousal visa
and

Is there a bank here in the US ppl open accounts in before moving that makes it easier with transferring money/opening an account once living in the UK?

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2018, 06:52:00 PM »

Is there a bank here in the US ppl open accounts in before moving that makes it easier with transferring money/opening an account once living in the UK?

There might be - I'm not sure what options are available these days, but I seem to remember there might have been one that costs about £200 to open.

To be honest though, I personally wouldn't think it would be worth it... you might as well just wait until you have your visa and you have a bill in your name, and then just open a regular account for free after you have moved

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 06:55:15 PM »
There might be - I'm not sure what options are available these days, but I seem to remember there might have been one that costs about £200 to open.

To be honest though, I personally wouldn't think it would be worth it... you might as well just wait until you have your visa and you have a bill in your name, and then just open a regular account for free after you have moved

This.  And you’ll get a better rate moving with the online providers than a bank.

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
This.  And you’ll get a better rate moving with the online providers than a bank.

Thank you both

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2018, 08:50:41 PM »
HSBC does accounts through their international centre that cost about $100USD to set up from the states. They pissed me off so much when trying to get an account after moving that they lost a long time customer. (I do still have my US accounts)

If you have a credit card with no foreign exchange fees you'll be fine while getting things set up here when you move.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2018, 08:54:42 PM »
HSBC does accounts through their international centre that cost about $100USD to set up from the states. They pissed me off so much when trying to get an account after moving that they lost a long time customer. (I do still have my US accounts)

If you have a credit card with no foreign exchange fees you'll be fine while getting things set up here when you move.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links