Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Moving pet to UK ourselves via France - microchip questions  (Read 1911 times)

• Liked: 2
Moving pet to UK ourselves via France - microchip questions
« on: November 28, 2018, 08:29:57 PM »
Hi guys!

As the time approaches to submit my settlement visa application, I am starting to think about our timeline for getting pet paperwork done for our small dog and some more specific questions I have. I have done some searching in the pet topic for microchip info but haven't managed to find a situation similar to ours so far.

We are planning to do all the paperwork ourselves and take our yorkie-poo with us in cabin to Charles De Gaulle airport in Paris, then drive into the UK via the channel tunnel. I have been through all the USDA requirements and gotten in touch with my state's NVAP coordinator to locate a vet near us who can deal with our forms/vaccines/etc. I'm wondering if anyone else has flown into CDG with a pet and then driven into the UK who might be able to offer insights on the microchip aspect of the process...our dog is a rescue and she was already chipped with a 10 digit (letter & number) non-ISO compliant chip (through 24 pet watch) when we got her.

Has anyone come into CDG with a non-ISO compliant chip? Know if they have a scanner there that will read her chip? Or, if they'll even require it since we will be continuing on to the UK? (I assume so, since it's not typical for the authorities to take your word for anything  ::) ) Also, anyone know if she will need to be checked again upon entry into the UK via the tunnel?

I realize I can buy a scanner or have her re-chipped, just thought I'd reach out and see if someone has more specific info before we go one of those routes. Also, if there is a thread I missed that answers any of these questions I'd be happy to read up if someone has a link!

On a slightly different note, at what point did you guys who did your own paperwork start to think about beginning the process? I know the rabies vaccine has to be at least 21 days old, the certificate has to be 10 days or less upon arrival, and the tapeworm treatment has to be done between 1-5 days of arrival. I suppose at this point our timing will be somewhat dependent on what route we take with a microchip since the rabies vaccination has to be done AFTER the microchip if I'm not mistaken, meaning she'll need the 21 day wait period if we re-chip her (as opposed to them considering her up-to-date rabies shots under the old chip + a booster).
Thanks!  ;D
Met in Japan 11/2011
Married in Vegas 11/2014
First baby born in Florida 04/2017
Hubby's US Cit. complete 09/2018
Hoping to apply for UK Spouse Visa 11/2018
Second baby due 04/2019

• Liked: 957
Re: Moving pet to UK ourselves via France - microchip questions
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 11:24:01 PM »
I can only help with the last bit, with my cat. She was a rescue and chipped, but the vet couldn't read it so she was re-chipped. Vaccine has to be after chip, so I made sure that was done more than 21 days before travel (it was her annual booster). When the USDA vet was doing her paperwork 8 days before my booked flight (I had to provide proof she was booked on the flight too) the vet commented cats were easier because they don't have to come back for the worming. Then I overnighted the vet documents for approval and they overnighted them back, and I had a few days of not worrying about kitty paperwork before the flight (but worrying about everything else under the sun). I made sure to give myself a couple extra days on the paperwork in case of travel delays, you don't want to have a flight canceled and suddenly your documents are no good!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 11:53:29 AM »
Just as a tip, the Animal Reception Centre upon your port of entry will likely be very helpful.  You can call or email them with what type of chip your pet has and they can let you know if they have a reader.  My experience - people get nervous that the ARC won't have a reader for their chip and buy their own.  Then leave it at ARC as they'll never need it again.  I suspect it's the same in Paris and they have every kind of reader ever made.  But you know what they say about assuming.

I'm sure you can reach out to them as well.  Though not sure if they are as helpful as their UK counterparts.   :)

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
Just as a tip, the Animal Reception Centre upon your port of entry will likely be very helpful.  You can call or email them with what type of chip your pet has and they can let you know if they have a reader.  My experience - people get nervous that the ARC won't have a reader for their chip and buy their own.  Then leave it at ARC as they'll never need it again.  I suspect it's the same in Paris and they have every kind of reader ever made.  But you know what they say about assuming.

I'm sure you can reach out to them as well.  Though not sure if they are as helpful as their UK counterparts.   :)

Thanks guys! CDG has an online form you can fill out for someone to get back to you with questions, and I did that but they told me to contact my airline ::) I haven't yet found a direct way to contact the ARC at CDG, will update when I do. That said, if someone knows their direct contact, let me know!
Met in Japan 11/2011
Married in Vegas 11/2014
Second baby due 04/2019

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 12:25:59 PM »
Thanks guys! CDG has an online form you can fill out for someone to get back to you with questions, and I did that but they told me to contact my airline ::) I haven't yet found a direct way to contact the ARC at CDG, will update when I do. That said, if someone knows their direct contact, let me know!

There is a number here, fingers crossed it works for you.  :)

.Animal station

Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport

Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport's animal station is authorised to handle all animal species (equines, production livestock, pets, research animals and wild fauna).

Its facilities designed in strict compliance with environmental protection and hygiene regulations were expanded and renovated in 2014 and cover a surface area of 9,317 sq.m, including 2,315 sq.m inside. As a Border Inspection Station, its main role is to check the health of living, commercial animal imports from third (non EU) countries.
The animal station is run by VIA / WFS. The station is accessible day and night, all year round, to all imported animals as well as those transiting through the airport.
The opening hours for importers are as follows:
Monday to Friday 6:00 am to 8:30 pm.
(At other times, airlines must submit a prior request)

cjouanchicot@wfs.aero
accueilviaroissy@wfs.aero
Tel: 01 48 64 98 62 /quote]

https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/professionals/cargo/services/animal-station

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »
Thank you so much @larrabee !! I have sent an email with both of the addresses copied, will update once I hear something.
Met in Japan 11/2011
Married in Vegas 11/2014
Second baby due 04/2019

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 04:34:09 PM »
Good luck!  :)

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
Long time since I updated, but in case anyone else is looking for info doing the same thing...
After sending a detailed email about her specific chip and whether they had the right equipment to scan it to both of the addresses I listed in this post, it took about 2 weeks to hear something back. This is the response I got:
Dear Alexandra George,
As you will travel with your dog , there is no veterinary inspection. The custom can check the documents but it is not automatically.
Best regards
C. JOUANCHICOT
So, not very clear at all, and did not actually answer my questions. We ended up deciding to be safe and had her rechipped with a HomeAgain chip and had her rabies redone. She will be flying with my husband this weekend and we're currently waiting for her paperwork to come back from USDA after her vet inspection. They're flying with Delta, which after a lot of research seemed like the most laid back airline available in our area for in-cabin pet travel--as of today's date, they have no weight limit on pets as long as they fit in their carrier comfortably, and have no specific carrier requirements apart from that it's able to fit under the seat on your flight(s) even if that just means squishing a soft carrier a little to get it to fit, and that at least two sides of the carrier have mesh for ventilation.

I found a group on FB (PCSing with Pets to the UK) that was really helpful for figuring out specific requirements whatever your situation, and got in touch with a few other people on there who had taken this same route through Paris to get their pets over. The people who have already done this said France was really laid back about the whole thing, and didn't even check their paperwork or scan their pets' microchips. When you drive through the tunnel they want to see your paperwork and scan a chip apparently, but not before then. It's a lot of work/stress trying to make sure you're ready and everything is in place but honestly I doubt that going straight to the UK would be any less work (or else would cost tons of money getting a relocation company to do it for you), and we now have the peace of mind that our fur baby won't be out of my husband's sight the whole trip!
Met in Japan 11/2011
Married in Vegas 11/2014
Second baby due 04/2019

Sponsored Links