Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting Started in the UK  (Read 1954 times)

• Liked: 25
Getting Started in the UK
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »
Hi everyone!

It’s been a while since I posted. I was one of those fairly fast September approvals, but my entry visa was not until November. My husband and I just landed in the UK a few days ago and despite having religiously read the forum I feel a bit unprepared  for what I need to do next. Closing up shop at home was more than I bargained for!

In any case, so far, I have picked up my BRP and gotten a SIM card for my phone. That’s it!

I want to...
Open a bank account
Register with a GP
Get an NI number

How can I achieve these things? I know that mail is a piece of the puzzle - what exactly should I try to get?

A few comments that might help inform any advice:

My husband and I are living with my in-laws for a few months until we get a permanent flat. We lived together in the US before moving here. Should they add us to the council tax? I mentioned this to them and got some resistance. I understand some use this for mail.

For the bank account - my husband has an existing UK account. Is it easier to just add me to his account? For a variety of reasons we have typically held separate accounts but are willing to do this if it’s the easiest way. Any idea if I need proof of address for this? Or what documents I would need in general?

I have received a couple of pieces of mail here - one from our a solicitor and one containing health records from the US. Any chance these are useful here?

Any help greatly appreciated! Further, is there anything I need to do/register for that I am not thinking of?
Leave to Enter (Spouse): 2018-2021
Leave to Remain FLR(M): 2021-2023

Application Type: SET(M)
Priority/Non-Priority: Super Priority
Online Application Submitted: 13 December 2023
Biometrics Appointment: 21 December 2023
Decision Made Email: 21 December 2023 - APPROVED!
BRP Received: 23 December 2023

• Liked: 957
Re: Getting Started in the UK
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:29:30 PM »
Is your husband a dual citizen with the US? I'd make sure you're familiar with the reporting requirements if you're a named account holder and he's not a US Citizen (if he is, he's subject to the same requirements so it doesn't matter as much. I'm not on my husbands accounts because we don't want to have to file a FBAR form for all of his).

Council tax is the easiest for most to use setting up a bank account and registering with a GP, but a bank statement from another bank account (even your US account) mailed to your UK address can work for some. Check because each bank will have different requirements for meeting the residency part of the check.

Once you have mail you can also apply for your national insurance number. There's a number you call, and you may have to attend an appointment to get it but its not a difficult process. You can also sign up for your provisional driving license if you plan to drive over here.

Welcome to the country! I also recommend investing in an electric blanket and warm wellies/waterproof boots for the next few months. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 674
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
Hi! Welcome!  It'll settle out, just take it one step at a time.

Since your husband already has an account, perhaps you should be speaking with his bank to see if they will add you to his account or set up a new one for you.  You don't say where in the UK you are. I assume England? Some of the England contingent might be of better use to you than me (I'm north of the border).  https://moneyfacts.co.uk/guides/banking/can-you-open-an-account-without-proof-of-address/ seems to indicate that you might be able to get a "basic" bank account to tide you over until you have your documentation in order.

Normally you would need a utility bill/council tax bill/copy of your lease agreement, plus your passport/BRP, to get a bank account. But you can use other documents.  You might want to look at getting a UK provisional driving license - https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence  Their webpage says you should receive the license in about a week if you apply online, but you're probably going to have to mail your documents in https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence  . That DL is a very handy thing to have - I didn't get one when I first arrived and had to jump through hoops a few times to prove I was "me" without it. Plus, it comes addressed to you in the Royal Mail. :)

NI number. I had to go in person to get mine, but my daughter was able to just send in a photocopy of her US passport, with the UK authorization in it, to get her NI number. Both arrived within two weeks of when we completed the requirements.  They'll send you that by mail  which also gives you an official document with your name and address on it. "You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP. If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number."  https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Whatever you do, make a photocopy of all important paperwork, and send anything tracked/special delivery/signed for.

Hold onto those documents that came in the mail - you may thank yourself later!  ;D  It's possible the letter from the solicitor may be accepted by the bank - some will accept a letter from a minister, GP, or "person in position of responsibility."

You probably won't be able to get on with a GP until you have some official government document. But you might check with your local GP to see if they'll sign you on as a visitor until you can provide proof of residency.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 11:07:16 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »
Thanks so much to you both @margo and @Nan D. !

Immensely helpful and you both helped to put my mind a bit at ease. I immediately signed up for my provisional driving license - I didn’t even know I could do that, so thank you!

I also have an appointment with HSBC on Monday, but was told that the solicitor’s letter would be enough to get going with a Basic account, which can be upgraded once we move out of my in-laws to a permanent address.

Will ring the NI number on Monday and see what happens there, and deal with the GP after once I have more official documents in hand.

@margo I have also invested in a raincoat and wellies, which have certainly come in handy the last few days!

Thanks again to you both!

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
Hold onto those wellies, I think they'll be your new best friends in the next couple of days.  ::) ;)

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
Just wanted to provide an update in case it's useful to someone else somewhere down the line...

I was finally able to set up a bank account, though it did take three tries! Because I am living with my in-laws, proving my address was the difficulty. They were happy to accept a letter signed by my in-laws specifying the circumstances (same one we used for the visa, but updated the date), as well as the most recent council tax bill and a recent utility bill. They gave me a "basic" bank account, which can be upgraded to a standard one after six months and when we are able to show our own names on a council tax bill.

For the NINo, I have an appointment in early January and have been told the same documents above would be sufficient, but I continue to hoard every piece of mail I get and add it to the pile.

GP - Haven't even gotten to this one yet!

Provisional driving licence - I applied online and received the form, but am in disbelief that they require me to MAIL in my passport and BRP in order to issue it. Has anyone else done this? Beyond the anxiety of parting with these documents, I need them for things like the NINo, GP, and have been asked to bring them to job interviews. Perhaps I will be holding off on this one as well...

• Liked: 768
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 06:32:34 PM »
Just wanted to provide an update in case it's useful to someone else somewhere down the line...

I was finally able to set up a bank account, though it did take three tries! Because I am living with my in-laws, proving my address was the difficulty. They were happy to accept a letter signed by my in-laws specifying the circumstances (same one we used for the visa, but updated the date), as well as the most recent council tax bill and a recent utility bill. They gave me a "basic" bank account, which can be upgraded to a standard one after six months and when we are able to show our own names on a council tax bill.

For the NINo, I have an appointment in early January and have been told the same documents above would be sufficient, but I continue to hoard every piece of mail I get and add it to the pile.

GP - Haven't even gotten to this one yet!

Provisional driving licence - I applied online and received the form, but am in disbelief that they require me to MAIL in my passport and BRP in order to issue it. Has anyone else done this? Beyond the anxiety of parting with these documents, I need them for things like the NINo, GP, and have been asked to bring them to job interviews. Perhaps I will be holding off on this one as well...
You only need to send in the BRP for your provisional.  You don't need to send your passport. You will get it back in a couple of weeks so only send it after you've attended your appointments. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 06:44:19 PM »
Good to know! I think I may have to withdraw my app and reapply in order to get through those other appointments first, though. Small price to pay I suppose!

You only need to send in the BRP for your provisional.  You don't need to send your passport. You will get it back in a couple of weeks so only send it after you've attended your appointments. 

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 06:52:41 PM »
Good to know! I think I may have to withdraw my app and reapply in order to get through those other appointments first, though. Small price to pay I suppose!
You can call and extend the time frame for the provisional license so you don't have to start over. Explain that you need the BRP until you have the appointment and then you'll mail it in. The number to do that is on the letter.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Thanks, I will give that a try!

You can call and extend the time frame for the provisional license so you don't have to start over. Explain that you need the BRP until you have the appointment and then you'll mail it in. The number to do that is on the letter.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 11:44:46 PM »
They were very nice when I had to request an extension - I was thinking 30 days, they gave me 90.

• Liked: 250
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »
Hopefully i'm not too late on this but here is my experience.

I got here in Sept and I immediately got added to our tenancy/electric bill. Within days I received mail. I needed 2 pieces to open a bank account. First I joined my husband's account (he made his own and made his old one our joint) and I made my own account at an entirely different bank. (just a preference)

Once I had all of the above I signed up with the local GP. Easy. I've since gone to the doctor and didn't have to pay a thing. It's unfathomable and amazing to visit the doctor without worrying about money.

After I had the mail/a bank account I was able to take the Tesco sim out of my phone and get a contract with 3. Now I have a permanent UK number. I'm taking driving lessons (just to refresh/get used to the roads here) but I am still in the process of getting my provisional-apparently it isn't difficult to get that but the test is hard so I'd recommend taking a couple lessons and ask them to train you "for the test."

I haven't gotten my NIN Yet, I'm just waiting until I have a job. I won't go into details but I've had a really, really difficult time even getting someone on the phone to make an appointment. If I get taxed a bit more for a few weeks, that's my problem. I've been chucking out applications for about 2 months and I've had 3 interviews, hoping to hear back from a possible position this week. I've been told that's fast to get replies-everyone's experience is different. I've seen people on here who waited 6mo-1year before getting interviews to people living here 2 weeks and already having interviews. Took me 2 months for someone to bite on my CV.

That being said, not sure what your plans are, but in regard to the NIN/working here/etc I would also recommend volunteering. I volunteer at the local museum. I also go out constantly and walk around town even if it's on my own. Not sure where you're living but if you can walk and explore, take advantage of that. When I first got here (literally 2 weeks after I'd arrived and had all my paperwork settled, BRP, etc) I joined a local Writer's Club, got a library club and basically attended local meetings on events, etc and I have already made a few friends of my own here. I know that isn't easy for everyone but if you're a people person you might be surprised how quickly you make friends/acquaintances. I was told English people are quieter/cold and not social but I find that to be a bit untrue, at least where I'm located. People talk to me just like they would at home! I've had no trouble meeting people. That being said, I'm not shy at all. It might not work for everyone.

I am having a really difficult time now because once our wedding passed in October (long story short we got legally married in the states in June, had a wedding in Rochester in October) I had nothing to look forward to and the "newness" of moving here wore off. Right now it's cold, gets dark at 3:30 and it's Christmas-in short I'm sad. I held onto home and everyone back home moved on with their lives. Moving here has been exhilarating, life changing and exciting. But also stressful, isolating, and it's a huge adjustment. If you ever need to chat during a good or a bad day, feel free to message me.

I hope you get everything sorted! Welcome to the UK :)

Married: 14 June 2018
FLR #1: 9 August 2018 (Approved!)
FLR #2: 13 July 2021 (Approved!)

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 10:31:02 PM »
Thank you @TeamTollie! Super helpful, I’ll take all the advice I can get! And I totally know what you mean re: the dark days and the holiday season. I hope you’re perking up and have a lovely holiday, though. Will shoot you a PM - ditto to your offer of a chat!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab