Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Cumbria  (Read 565 times)

• Liked: 424
Cumbria
« on: December 03, 2018, 06:57:58 PM »
Hey all! My wife and I are considering planning a trip south to Cumbria. We were looking at staying in Penrith to start and see the sights. Does anyone live nearby or have some input on where to stay and what to see?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 957
Re: Cumbria
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
I visited lake district on my first trip here, I'm not sure how far Penrith is from it. I really enjoyed Windermere and Grasmere (the gingerbread is amazing). The whole area is full of scenic spots and walks so I hope you get some more feedback :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:32:14 AM »
Doesn't MrsMagpie live in Penrith?

Not in Penrith, but if you want a detour on your way down or back, just outside Carlisle (get a taxi from the station, if you're travelling by train) in a village called Monkhill, is a pub called the Drovers Rest.  It's owned by friends of ours, and regularly makes the list of the top 16 real ale pubs in the UK. Great beer and nice people.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 02:00:03 PM by Albatross »

• Liked: 216
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 03:07:22 PM »
Hey all! My wife and I are considering planning a trip south to Cumbria. We were looking at staying in Penrith to start and see the sights. Does anyone live nearby or have some input on where to stay and what to see?

Sorry, I've barely been on here the last week or so, so just seeing this. Yes, I live in Penrith! There are several B&Bs and guesthouses in town. One of the B&Bs was a winner on Four In A Bed! I think it's called Abbey House. There is also the North Lakes Hotel & Spa which is meant to be nice if you want more of a hotel. I've been to the spa there and it's great. Plus a gorgeous indoor pool! Or... if you want something a bit more scenic, you could go out to the Lake District and stay in Windermere or Keswick. Lots to do and see in both places! :)

If the weather isn't complete crap, I highly recommend taking a ride on a steamer around Ullswater Lake or Lake Windermere. If you like hiking, definitely check out Aira Force. It's a lovely walk up to the waterfall. Very beautiful. Lowther Castle is also beautiful to see. There's a nice cafe there as well. The Honister slate mine is interesting and they offer tours. Plus you can get some really cool slate souvenirs. There's a really cool wine rack that I'm dying to get my hands on!

And... if you want to meet up with us at a pub here in Penrith one evening, count us in!  ;D
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »

Not in Penrith, but if you want a detour on your way down or back, just outside Carlisle (get a taxi from the station, if you're travelling by train) in a village called Monkhill, is a pub called the Drovers Rest.  It's owned by friends of ours, and regularly makes the list of the top 16 real ale pubs in the UK. Great beer and nice people.
Thank you so much!

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2018, 05:12:03 PM »
Sorry, I've barely been on here the last week or so, so just seeing this. Yes, I live in Penrith! There are several B&Bs and guesthouses in town. One of the B&Bs was a winner on Four In A Bed! I think it's called Abbey House. There is also the North Lakes Hotel & Spa which is meant to be nice if you want more of a hotel. I've been to the spa there and it's great. Plus a gorgeous indoor pool! Or... if you want something a bit more scenic, you could go out to the Lake District and stay in Windermere or Keswick. Lots to do and see in both places! :)

If the weather isn't complete crap, I highly recommend taking a ride on a steamer around Ullswater Lake or Lake Windermere. If you like hiking, definitely check out Aira Force. It's a lovely walk up to the waterfall. Very beautiful. Lowther Castle is also beautiful to see. There's a nice cafe there as well. The Honister slate mine is interesting and they offer tours. Plus you can get some really cool slate souvenirs. There's a really cool wine rack that I'm dying to get my hands on!

And... if you want to meet up with us at a pub here in Penrith one evening, count us in!  ;D
Oooh sounds very interesting! We would love to meet up with you if this becomes reality.

• Liked: 216
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 05:44:12 PM »
Oooh sounds very interesting! We would love to meet up with you if this becomes reality.

Awesome! Yeah, keep me posted and also, if you have any other questions about the area, ask away! If I don't know the answer, my husband certainly will. He's lived here his entire life!  :)
Living with my love in Cumbria!
-------------------------------------------------
Married: 17 May 2018
Entered UK: 13 October 2018
FLR: 21 June 2021
ILR approval email: 18 March 2024

Sponsored Links