Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Meghan Markle  (Read 845 times)

• Liked: 13
Meghan Markle
« on: December 10, 2018, 04:25:19 PM »
So I know this is a bit gossipy but I'm just am not able to see a headline without her in it lately. I'm not a royalist at all but I've watched her experience from afar and can't help but see similarities with myself (apart from the whole marrying a prince thing) But seeing all this super negative press lately about her and it's just odd what is being made a fuss of. "She gets up at 5am and makes requests", "she wanted air fresheners in the chapel"...am I crazy or do these all seem like not a big deal?

The gossipy part is since it's coming from inside the palace, it seems like there's some bigger story or strategy we don't know about yet.

It also makes me think of differences in work culture, do you guys think it's a part of it?

Meh, I'm in need of a distraction right now...just curious if anyone had wondered the same

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
Re: Meghan Markle
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 04:57:20 PM »
TBH I think it's partly a snooty reaction to the upstart American, but also that there's a strong unacknowledged undercurrent of racism in all of the negative press. Like, if this divorced American actress is going to come over here and steal our ginger prince the least she could do is be white!

Personally, I like Meghan and I hope she continues to just be fabulous in the face of the criticism. It'll die down eventually. People generally like Camilla now, I believe, but fifteen years ago she was painted as a scarlet homewrecker. The UK press is full of garbage mudslingers.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 05:15:05 PM »
I think a lot of it is sensationalism by the press.  Who wants to report that it's happy families behind closed doors?

I'm sure there are teething pains adjusting to married life, let alone royal protocol.  And throw in a few pregnancy hormones. 

But I doubt she's offending people left, right, and center. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »
I genuinely think they would talk about WHOEVER ended up in that position would be scrutinised like this, but it's even more so in this instance because she's an immigrant from a "common" background.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 08:07:05 PM »
Yeah, I think it's definitely being sensationalized but just can't get over some of the arguments people make. Like her being divorced...um his dad is divorced and didn't The Church of England create divorce? And her family being crazy....but there's a Netflix show about his family and all their drama! It amazing people don't see the hypocrisy but it's not a good story is it?

I never was a fan of Prince Harry (just out of not knowing much about him) but its obvious to me he's being protective of her because of the way his mother was treated. It's hard to see how people can't see that either.

But curious to see how it will all play out and if she will be able to put up with it all. I like that she is changing things up and trying to have her own voice so I hope she succeeds in changing the way things are done.

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 04:23:28 PM »
The sneering British press have always been awful to everybody. I'd say the Royals are the first to be spat at and then other celebrities. It's so funny because they really are like badly behaved children, they spend so long building someone up only to try and knock them down and when or if they can't, they try and ignore them or tell everyone that they shouldn't be listening to them. When that doesn't work,  they grudgingly accept they aren't going away but woe betide them if they put a foot wrong because they will bring all their past indiscretions back up.

Meghan, on top of that scrutiny, has to deal with living in a country where Piers Morgan and Jeremy Kyle are on telly every morning.

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2018, 10:02:58 AM »
The sneering British press have always been awful to everybody. I'd say the Royals are the first to be spat at and then other celebrities. It's so funny because they really are like badly behaved children, they spend so long building someone up only to try and knock them down and when or if they can't, they try and ignore them or tell everyone that they shouldn't be listening to them. When that doesn't work,  they grudgingly accept they aren't going away but woe betide them if they put a foot wrong because they will bring all their past indiscretions back up.

Meghan, on top of that scrutiny, has to deal with living in a country where Piers Morgan and Jeremy Kyle are on telly every morning.

Leave Jezza out of this! haha  ;D
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Tea And A Butty
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 05:46:03 PM »
Leave Jezza out of this! haha  ;D

HAHA I forgot you love him! We can agree on Piers Morgan though, right?

• Liked: 70
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »
Ah, there's always some drama.

I heard this week that Meghan and Kate don't get along.  And that Kate insisted her family Christmas be her own way rather than the Queen's.

I guess I'm just like the royals!  My husband and sister's husband don't have much in common.  And both respective husbands stole us siblings away from each other (or we grew up and slightly apart as we made our own families, but what good are facts?).  I also insist that my immediate family do what's best for them for Christmas rather than what my husband's grandmother would like us to do.

For what it's worth, I like Meghan.  And Harry, I like him too.  The seemingly small requests that we hear about really are small and much smaller than the ones every extending family has to make to accommodate new members.  I don't sleep with fewer than two pillows no matter where I am, thankyouverymuch.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:01 PM »
HAHA I forgot you love him! We can agree on Piers Morgan though, right?

I can agree on Piers, yes...hahah

My, how time flies....

• Liked: 676
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »
Gossip sells newspapers, doesn't it?  ;)

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:05 PM »
Late on replying to this but the sensationalism over little things reminds me of Ed Milliband and the whole bacon sandwich hoopla. There's even a whole wikipedia entry on "the incident." Ah, if only eating a bacon sandwich was all it took to take down some politicians here!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab