Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Christmas Crackers in Luggage?  (Read 2209 times)

• Liked: 0
Christmas Crackers in Luggage?
« on: December 17, 2004, 05:08:15 PM »
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before -- if so, feel free to point me in the right direction.

First Christmas season here and will be traveling back to the US next week.  We would like to take back some Christmas Crackers with us.  When we bought them, we had no idea what they did when you opened them ... so the question, is there a problem with taking them back with us in our checked luggage?  Are we better/worse off carrying them as hand luggage?

Thanks!

Re: Christmas Crackers in Luggage?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 05:28:00 PM »
Yes, there is a problem. Crackers are explicitly forbidden as packed luggage (considered to be explosives) and likewise as hand luggage. We'd want to do the same as you, but were forced to deposit them on a big mound of other passengers' crackers.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 07:24:30 PM »
How totally and completely bizzare. We brought a package of them with us at Thanksgiving and we were one of the Chosen who were taken off to a little room to have our checked luggage hand-searched. They said "oh, crackers, eh?" and put them back in, checked the luggage and off we went. I had no clue they weren't allowed. We were on BA....

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 07:30:17 PM »
I guess I don't know what to say. If you look at the icons of things that you're not supposed to take, you'll often see crackers. My experience was on Ryanair and they really, really didn't want crackers. So maybe the difference between the two events means that you could take the crackers so long as you're mentally prepared to have to ditch them.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 07:30:58 PM »
They actually sell them all over the place here in the US now so you can buy them when you get here if you'd rather not deal with smuggling them. :P I've seen them at Target, Marshalls, Pier One.....can't seem to think of the rest of the places I've seen them. But I always buy mine at Target. :)

• Location: Michigan to Birmingham U.K. (via Florida & Australia)
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 01:19:38 AM »
I just got back to the US last week (flew Heathrow to Chicago on United) & had no problems with the crackers in my checked bags.  They do sell them all over the place here, so it might be easier to just buy them here (the ones I brought from the UK were handmade by my mum-in-law, so I didn't have a choice!).

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 03:53:52 AM »
While crackers aren't allowed, I think they're lenient about them. Even though I have in the past transported a pack and felt they'd be confiscated, they weren't...and I'm not sure I okay with that.
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 08:26:09 AM »
They actually sell them all over the place here in the US now so you can buy them when you get here if you'd rather not deal with smuggling them. :P I've seen them at Target, Marshalls, Pier One.....can't seem to think of the rest of the places I've seen them. But I always buy mine at Target. :)

That's a drag.
I used to always post crackers over to my family cos it was kind of a unique and different thing for them.  Now there's no point.   :(

• Don't let your life pass you by!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 01:24:50 PM »
I bought some really nice Christmas Crackers years ago in Arkansas in a shop called Tuesday Morning. It is a chain store I think. The ones I bought were authentic from England.  We were just home for Thanksgiving and also found that they sell them all over the place now.  Save room in your luggage to shop-loved the $/£ exchange rate and we shopped til we dropped...
Have a great time back home!
Tammy
BE NICE OR BE GONE!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 04:08:44 PM »
We flew from Newcastle to London (on BA) on Thursday, and the first question we were asked was whether or not we had any Christmas crackers in our luggage.

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2004, 09:53:14 PM »
I brought a package in my luggage at Thanksgiving and no one even asked or checked my baggage.  But I did notice a sign at Heathrow (for BMI) that if you were carrying Christmas crackers to notify staff immediately.  No one asked me at the BA counter... 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 12:34:32 AM »
Oh dear.  I brought some over last week (London to JFK, on Virgin) and had cracker in my checked bag, had no problems.  How odd.

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 01:51:30 PM »
Thanks all!  We'll see what happens -- we will carry on, and if they take them away, we will have "wasted" £3 (for 12...) . 

At least we didn't spend the £649 for six that we saw at Harrods on Saturday.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 01:59:18 PM »

At least we didn't spend the £649 for six that we saw at Harrods on Saturday.

What!!! What was in those crackers????

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 04:56:52 PM »
In- laws just arrived last week and brought a LOAD of crackers  ;D   Oh, and some holly too  :-X

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab