Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Seeking solidarity  (Read 843 times)

• Liked: 13
Seeking solidarity
« on: December 17, 2018, 09:44:20 PM »
Hey everyone,

I know there's a lot on this topic and I've read most of the discussions and done my own research but I just wanted to hear from expats in a similar situation.

I want to work in Higher Education. Currently I work in Widening Participation at a university and I truly LOVE everything I do but I am desperate for career progression, hence why I am now working full time and applying to more positions. From reaching out to career advisers, senior management in my organisation, friends, other contacts, etc. I've figured out how to apply well to get interviews. I've had 8 interviews so far (which I KNOW is not the end of the world, but still not easy when it's all consecutive!)  yet the feedback is always "you are great BUT we've hired someone with DIRECT experience."  For example, since so many candidates are applying, it seems that when it's between me and another candidate who have attended schools in the UK (just something specific to the sector), s/he will 99.9% be more  likely to be hired than me. I somehow have to sell myself and skills, assure interviewers my lack of direct UK experience won't impact my work and fully understand the working culture.  How do I do this? When I've stuck to JUST talking about my skills, I was asked for more personality. When I tried to combine both, I was told personal experience was too much. What is the balance ?

How many interviews/time did it take for all of you to find a job (and like) over here?

Sorry for the rant and thanks for your time.
Fiancée visa: 07/12/2017
Biometrics: 07/18/2017 (Chicago)
Confirmation email:  07/24/2017
Decision email: 09/20/2017 (42BD)
Married: 12/28/2017
1st FLR(M) approved: 01/17/2018
1st BRP arrived: 01/19/2018
2nd FLR(M) applied: 06/23/2020
2nd FLR(M) approved: 10/30/2020
2nd BRP arrived: 11/05/2020
ILR biometrics on 01/11/2023 Super priority decision
Citizenship biometrics: 04/15/2023
Citizenship ceremony: 09/05/2023

• Liked: 676
Re: Seeking solidarity
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »
Ah. I have 20 years in Higher Ed administration. All of it in the USA. I have gotten interviews, but only for lower-level positions that paid 1/3rd of what I was earning at my moderately underpaid position in the States. What I have gotten back, unofficially, is that since I haven't been through the UK ed system, nor worked in it for any length of time, I don't have the same skills set that someone who has done one (or both) of those things. My option appears to be to start out at practically an entry-level position and then wait for time to provide me with the "necessary qualifications" and for word-of-mouth to get around as to my competencies.

Unfortunately, I don't have that long until I am full retirement age, so it's not really worth my pursuing low-pay, high-workload jobs for several years to try to get back to the level I was when I left Higher Ed in the USA.  But for someone younger, I would think you may have to start a lot lower down on the ladder than you hope. I suspect this is not just a "Higher Ed" issue.

Unless you know someone who knows someone.  ;)

Best of luck to you!

• Liked: 533
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 08:24:12 AM »
Systemic bigotry.

Let's call it what it is.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 13
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 02:36:13 PM »
Ah. I have 20 years in Higher Ed administration. All of it in the USA. I have gotten interviews, but only for lower-level positions that paid 1/3rd of what I was earning at my moderately underpaid position in the States. What I have gotten back, unofficially, is that since I haven't been through the UK ed system, nor worked in it for any length of time, I don't have the same skills set that someone who has done one (or both) of those things. My option appears to be to start out at practically an entry-level position and then wait for time to provide me with the "necessary qualifications" and for word-of-mouth to get around as to my competencies.

Unfortunately, I don't have that long until I am full retirement age, so it's not really worth my pursuing low-pay, high-workload jobs for several years to try to get back to the level I was when I left Higher Ed in the USA.  But for someone younger, I would think you may have to start a lot lower down on the ladder than you hope. I suspect this is not just a "Higher Ed" issue.

Unless you know someone who knows someone.  ;)

Best of luck to you!

Eeek. Okay, thanks for your insight.
Fiancée visa: 07/12/2017
Biometrics: 07/18/2017 (Chicago)
Confirmation email:  07/24/2017
Decision email: 09/20/2017 (42BD)
Married: 12/28/2017
1st FLR(M) approved: 01/17/2018
1st BRP arrived: 01/19/2018
2nd FLR(M) applied: 06/23/2020
2nd FLR(M) approved: 10/30/2020
2nd BRP arrived: 11/05/2020