Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hello! A new year in a new land for this Californian  (Read 1257 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello! A new year in a new land for this Californian
« on: January 01, 2019, 10:54:08 AM »
Hello to all!

Let me start by introducing myself: My name is Karyn and I recently (1 month ago) moved to Stowmarket in Suffolk from California. My Aunt and Uncle live in the UK and thought it would be a nice change in the new year for me to start fresh. I work online so this opportunity seemed perfect!
Having only been here for over 5 weeks, I'm already stunned at the seemingly endless differences between the States and here.
I'm happy to have found this forum as I do feel a bit out of place, and have strange questions like why would anyone still want 2 different faucets when 1 is so much easier?!?
Anyway, glad to find you all!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Hello! A new year in a new land for this Californian
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 10:58:59 AM »
Hello to all!

Let me start by introducing myself: My name is Karyn and I recently (1 month ago) moved to Stowmarket in Suffolk from California. My Aunt and Uncle live in the UK and thought it would be a nice change in the new year for me to start fresh. I work online so this opportunity seemed perfect!
Having only been here for over 5 weeks, I'm already stunned at the seemingly endless differences between the States and here.
I'm happy to have found this forum as I do feel a bit out of place, and have strange questions like why would anyone still want 2 different faucets when 1 is so much easier?!?
Anyway, glad to find you all!

Hi Karyn, welcome!  :)

Are you a dual US/UK citizen?

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
Nope. Just a US citizen. The company I work for doesn't care where you live or work from as long as you get the work done. I realize I'll have to return to the states in a few months as I'm only allowed to "visit" for so long... but thought it would be a fun new adventure in the new year

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »
Nope. Just a US citizen. The company I work for doesn't care where you live or work from as long as you get the work done. I realize I'll have to return to the states in a few months as I'm only allowed to "visit" for so long... but thought it would be a fun new adventure in the new year

Unfortunately it's against the law to work in the UK as a visitor. It doesn't matter if the work is not actually in the UK.

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 11:18:58 AM »
Really?! My the law department of my company said it was allowed.... now i'm a bit worried! Don't want to do anything illegal!
I'll contact them tomorrow morning to make sure. Thank you for letting me know

• Liked: 3595
Hello! A new year in a new land for this Californian
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 11:56:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum :).

Unfortunately it’s completely illegal to carry out any form of work activities while in the U.K. as a visitor, so you’ll need to stop working immediately. This is determined by the U.K. immigration rules and not by your company.

From the visitor rules:

What you can and cannot do

You can:

- take part in any of the business-related activities mentioned in the Visitor Rules
- study for up to 30 days, as long as it’s not the main reason for your visit
- take part in an exchange programme or educational visit (if you’re under 18)
- convert your civil partnership into a marriage
- pass through the UK in transit (on your way to another country)

You cannot:

- do paid or unpaid work
- live in the UK for long periods of time through frequent visits

- get public funds
- marry or register a civil partnership, or give notice of marriage or civil partnership

See:
https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »
Welcome!

Yes, unfortunately to be legal, your company would need to sponsor a Tier 2 work visa which would need to be applied for from the USA.  Your employer also needs to hold a UK sponsorship license and issue you with a UK work contract.

Sorry it’s not better news.  Unfortunately we don’t live in a world of open borders.   :-\\\\

I’d just unplug from work for a bit and enjoying being a tourist.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 12:48:17 PM »
Just curious, did you tell the border guards you were moving when you entered as a visitor? I'm genuinely surprised they let you through. As everyone else has mentioned, while some countries don't care if you work remotely while visiting the UK is not one of them. Sorry for you to find that out now vs before coming over.

You'll also need to make sure you have travelers health insurance as the NHS is not free to visitors (aside from emergency care), and you'll be billed at 150% if you don't have insurance.

I hope you are able to get out and enjoy the country as a visitor though, it is a beautiful place!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 01:06:34 PM »
Here is a guide to the work-related activities that you are allowed/not allowed to do as a foreign national in the UK on a visitor visa (or equivalent). See Appendix 3  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/immigration-rules-appendix-v-visitor-rules

Also:  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/673351/Visit-guidance-v7.0EXT.PDF

Prohibited activities
Work

V 4.5 The applicant must not intend to work in the UK, which includes the following:
        (a) taking employment in the UK;
        (b) doing work for an organisation or business in the UK;
        (c) establishing or running a business as a self-employed person;
        (d) doing a work placement or internship;
        (e) direct selling to the public;
        (f) providing goods and services;
        unless expressly allowed by the permitted activities in Appendices 3, 4 or 5.

V 4.6 Permitted activities must not amount to the applicant taking employment, or doing work which amounts to them filling a role or providing short-term cover for a role within a UK based organisation. In addition, where the applicant is already paid and employed outside of the UK, they must remain so. Payment may only be allowed in specific circumstances set out in V 4.7.

and

Payment

V 4.7 The applicant must not receive payment from a UK source for any activities undertaken in the UK, except for the following:
        (a) reasonable expenses to cover the cost of their travel and subsistence, including fees for directors attending board-level meetings; or
        (b) prize money; or
        (c) billing a UK client for their time in the UK, where the applicant’s overseas employer is contracted to provide services to a UK company, and the majority of the contract work is carried out overseas. Payment must be lower than the amount of the applicant’s salary; or
        (d) multi-national companies who, for administrative reasons, handle payment of their employees’ salaries from the UK; or
        (e) where the applicant is engaged in Permitted Paid Engagements (PPE) as listed at Appendix 4, provided the applicant holds a visa or leave to enter as a PPE visitor; or
        (f) paid performances at a permit free festival as listed in Appendix 5.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:41:33 PM by Nan D. »

Sponsored Links