Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK drivers license  (Read 813 times)

• Liked: 2
UK drivers license
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:05:52 AM »
So I moved to th UK in late July of last year, and only have a valid Nevada drivers license. How do I go about getting a UK drivers license? Do I have to take a written and driving test?

• Liked: 6110
Re: UK drivers license
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:07 AM »
So I moved to th UK in late July of last year, and only have a valid Nevada drivers license. How do I go about getting a UK drivers license? Do I have to take a written and driving test?

Theory and practical, yes. You can only drive on your US license for one year and it all takes a while to get through so you're going to want to get moving on it soon.

Start here. https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 08:38:53 AM by larrabee »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:38:13 AM »

And even though you know how to drive, you will need some lessons so you can learn how to pass the test here.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:55:43 PM »
It took about 10 hours of lessons for me, I ended up just getting an automatic license in my own car. The process of getting license, scheduling and passing theory, and passing the road test aren't quick so plan a few months for the process. There is a phone/tablet app for the theory & hazard test from DVSA and worth it :)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 672
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 06:28:07 PM »
The online hazard test practice sessions are a godsend. It's not that it's difficult to sort out where the emerging potentially dangerous situations are, but you need to teach yourself how to respond to the system to register your awareness at the correct time. (I spent quite some time clicking too early to register it properly, which counts as missing the question!)  The answers to the theory test are not terribly difficult, if you just study up a bit.

Like Margo, I took maybe 12-ish hours of lessons here. I've been driving since 1972 in the USA, but the rules are just enough different here that I really needed the lessons. (Plus, sitting on the wrong side of the car while driving was just...weird!)  ;D  I would definitely recommend lessons from a certified instructor who can coach you as to what you need to do to pass.

Sponsored Links