Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Tinned Pasta here just isn't Chef Boyardee, but...  (Read 1144 times)

• Liked: 1327
Tinned Pasta here just isn't Chef Boyardee, but...
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:14:24 PM »
Every tinned pasta I've tried here has tasted too sweet, and the texture of the pasta has been too mushy.  Overall, worse than not eating it, so I've mostly avoided since my first year here.  However, I've recently started trying more Aldi versions of things to see how they compare (because a surprising number of them come out better than their better-known counterparts), and yesterday I picked up a tin of ravioli with "meat filling" in tomato sauce.  Because sometimes you just want to curl up with a bowl of zapped pasta and have a moment.

Verdict: The flavour is wrong.  I knew it would be, and it is.  It's far too sweet and yet simultaneously bland.  But I doctored it up with a lot of salt, some asafoetida, and some garlic granules (and a bit of cayenne that doesn't quite work, but it's fine), and meanwhile the texture is right!  This does not feel all mushy and samey in the mouth!  The pasta has just enough bite to it that it's on par with the familiar stuff from back home.  So, yay!  I will try this again (with less cayenne next time.  I'm pretty sure Chef Boyardee does't use any.   ;) )
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• I'm not acting confused, I AM Confused!
  • Liked: 28
Re: Tinned Pasta here just isn't Chef Boyardee, but...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 12:46:04 PM »
Chef Boyardee... :P
 I know its comfort food, but cmon, its spag bol, make a batch and freeze in small tupperware, probably better for you too, that canned stuff is not very nutritional...I remember reading about the Jim Jones cult way back when, part of the brain washing was the food, guess what...alot of canned pasta, it was so lacking in well...everything, it caused them to be more mentally pliant .

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:55:44 PM »
Chef Boyardee... :P
 I know its comfort food, but cmon, its spag bol, make a batch and freeze in small tupperware, probably better for you too, that canned stuff is not very nutritional...I remember reading about the Jim Jones cult way back when, part of the brain washing was the food, guess what...alot of canned pasta, it was so lacking in well...everything, it caused them to be more mentally pliant .

I don't think nutrition is the point here!  ;)

• Officially a UK Yank!! Established 2002
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 04:07:36 PM »
I used to love chef Boyardee spaghetti in the box it was awesome and canned spaghetti os too
My home for 18 years since June 2002. Became a citizen 2006

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
Ahhh, beefaroni was absolutely perfect at uni at 3 am!
Not sure I've had tinned pasta since then, but I'm glad you found a substitute for your cravings JFKimberly!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab