Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Question about GCSEs requirement  (Read 843 times)

• Liked: 11
Question about GCSEs requirement
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:23 AM »
Hello! So I will be moving to England from California on my spouse visa next month and my current job (retail store) is allowing me to transfer to a UK store so luckily I have a job for now. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] However, my long term career goal is to become a veterinary nurse. I completed a veterinary technology program at my local community college here in California and got a certificate of completion, however I wasn't able to take a test to get my veterinary technician license as it was required that you had 2 years of working experience in the field before you could take the license test. I never got the working experience because no one would hire me without a license or prior experience and I never ended up volunteering either. For the UK, from what I've seen online, there are certain veterinary hospitals that offer apprenticeships but they say you need "5 GCSEs at grades 9 to 4 (A* to C) including English and maths and science". I have absolutely no idea what this means  ??? Does anyone know the American equivalent to this and what proof I would need to provide? I don't have any sort of degree such as a Masters or Bachelors. Along with the certificate of program completion, I also have certificates for each class I completed for the program, my high school diploma and possibly my last report card of my last trimester of high school. Would I need to get my transcripts for my last year of high school? Thanks!
Married: October 21st 2018
Spouse Visa: Priority
Online application submitted: Feb 12th 2019
Biometrics appointment: Feb 20th 2019
Documents sent to NY: Feb 21st 2019
Documents received in NY: Feb 25th 2019
Documents received email from Sheffield: Feb 27th 2019
Decision made email received: Mar 18th 2019
Visa received: Mar 20th 2019

• Liked: 3595
Question about GCSEs requirement
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:53:14 AM »
5 GCSEs at grades 9-4 (or A*-C under the old grading system) is generally considered to be the equivalent of a US high school diploma.

GCSEs are 2-year courses taken between age 14 and 16 in the UK, usually in about 9 subjects, including English, Math, Science, a Humanity subject, a language, a technology subject and then a couple of others.

A passing grade is a 4 (a C under the old system, which only changed a year or two ago) and so 5 GSCEs grades 9-4 or A*-C means that you got a passing grade in at least 5 subjects (usually they want 2 of those subjects to be English and Math, sometimes Science as well).

If you took AP classes in high school, college prep classes, or you have an Associates Degree, those are generally considered equivalent to A levels, which are 2-year advanced level courses taken in 3-5 subjects from age 16-18. A-levels (or equivalent) are the academic pre-requisites to get into a UK university

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:55:25 AM by ksand24 »

• Liked: 957
Re: Question about GCSEs requirement
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
Unfortunately you can't qualify for apprenticeships until you have lived here or in the EU for 3 years. :( Just something to keep in mind as you make plans.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Liked: 11
Re: Question about GCSEs requirement
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 12:31:32 PM »
5 GCSEs at grades 9-4 (or A*-C under the old grading system) is generally considered to be the equivalent of a US high school diploma.

GCSEs are 2-year courses taken between age 14 and 16 in the UK, usually in about 9 subjects, including English, Math, Science, a Humanity subject, a language, a technology subject and then a couple of others.

A passing grade is a 4 (a C under the old system, which only changed a year or two ago) and so 5 GSCEs grades 9-4 or A*-C means that you got a passing grade in at least 5 subjects (usually they want 2 of those subjects to be English and Math, sometimes Science as well).

If you took AP classes in high school, college prep classes, or you have an Associates Degree, those are generally considered equivalent to A levels, which are 2-year advanced level courses taken in 3-5 subjects from age 16-18. A-levels (or equivalent) are the academic pre-requisites to get into a UK university

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Unfortunately you can't qualify for apprenticeships until you have lived here or in the EU for 3 years. :( Just something to keep in mind as you make plans.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Oh that’s a bummer :( thank you for letting me know
Married: October 21st 2018
Spouse Visa: Priority
Online application submitted: Feb 12th 2019
Biometrics appointment: Feb 20th 2019
Documents sent to NY: Feb 21st 2019
Documents received in NY: Feb 25th 2019
Documents received email from Sheffield: Feb 27th 2019
Decision made email received: Mar 18th 2019
Visa received: Mar 20th 2019

Sponsored Links