Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Successfully moved dog to UK via Amsterdam  (Read 1926 times)

• Liked: 19
Successfully moved dog to UK via Amsterdam
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:47:45 PM »
Hello!

I just wanted to say that I successfully moved my dog from the U.S. to the U.K. last week via Amsterdam. It was very stressful for both of us, but it went as smoothly as I could have hoped.

We flew from Chicago to Amsterdam with Icelandair. They were good with her and kept me updated as to her transfer from one plane to another during a 1-hour layover in Iceland. Once in Amsterdam, I picked her up from the baggage area (there is an elevator that delivers pets) and went through customs with no problems. I had to take two trains and a bus to get to the Hook of Holland, where we boarded a Stena Line ferry and arrived in Harwich the next morning. Once there, I went through border patrol and then the boat ramp exited directly into the train station. A train took us to London, where my wife picked us up.

Elly the bulldog mix is now a British resident! Yay!

Was it easy? No. Getting the paperwork organized and enduring two days of travel with an elderly but very spry dog was exhausting for both of us. But it saved me around $3,000 and I had no problems with her paperwork or with border patrol, which I was concerned about. I haven't applied for my visa yet, but we decided it was best to get Elly moved over and settled first and then apply, so I can just hop a plane and make an easy journey when the visa is approved. I was nervous that border security could give me a hard time showing up with a dog and no visa, but they welcomed Elly to the U.K. and gave me my usual 6-month stamp. This is my fourth visit to the U.K. in two years. When I return from this trip, I'm immediately filing for my spousal visa.

Anyway, just wanted to let others know what I did in case anyone else is considering a similar route. I'm happy to answer any questions I can about it.

• Liked: 24
Re: Successfully moved dog to UK via Amsterdam
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »
Happy for you!! Glad everything went fine. Sounds hectic but hey if you're willing to do it to save $3k, makes sense to me!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Thanks for the report, DetUK!

I would have been worried too, turning up at the border with an animal and no visa so very glad to hear that you had no issues!  :)

Feel free to ask any questions over in the visa forum!

• Liked: 19
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 03:09:01 PM »
I think that border agents at Gatwick or Heathrow might have given me more grief about moving my dog over ahead of my visa, to be honest. The agents greeting ferry passengers at Harwich had just started their shift and seemed quite chipper, which relieved me to no end. But, as always, YMMV. I may have just been exceedingly lucky. Glad that the next time I show up I'll have a visa in hand. Tired of the stress of going through border security.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »
Oh yes, very glad all went well.  Usually the ports are more difficult to enter than the airports, so very pleased you weren’t refused entry.  Hope your pup settles well.   :)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 03:25:50 AM »
So you traveled only on the US paperwork for your pet? You didn’t need to acquire an EU pet passport?

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
So you traveled only on the US paperwork for your pet? You didn’t need to acquire an EU pet passport?

No, you just need the paperwork.

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2019, 10:31:39 AM »
When I look at the ferry times for travel they all say the foot passengers can not bring a pet on board....is this a change from the  OP’s experience? Or is it because you have to make special arrangements for them to ride in  the kennels and they can’t be with you in the passenger areas?

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 10:54:45 AM »
When I look at the ferry times for travel they all say the foot passengers can not bring a pet on board....is this a change from the  OP’s experience? Or is it because you have to make special arrangements for them to ride in  the kennels and they can’t be with you in the passenger areas?

Are you looking here?

https://www.stenaline.co.uk/faqs/travelling-with-pets/can-i-take-my-pet-to-ireland-or-britain-with-me

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2019, 03:29:30 AM »
No, it was on the Direct Ferries website when I was looking up ticket prices for the crossing...
This was the page....I’m not sure you’ll be able to view it as it was a listing of prices and may time out. You could probably put in the Hook to Harwich route and see what I found. At the bottom of each route option there’s a sentence that says foot passengers can’t take pets onboard. But they make no mention of kennel reservation...
https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/booking_redirect_df.aspx?stdc=DF10COM&grid=0&rfid=81&psgr=1&curr=9&retn=false&rfidr=0&stdc=DF10COM&grid=0&rfid=81&psgr=1&curr=9&retn=false&rfidr=0&_ga=2.182601891.408992608.1556182674-1477213693.1555528388&_gac=1.37564052.1556182674.EAIaIQobChMIj5irg_Dq4QIVBeXICh2F8wvIEAAYASAAEgI6fvD_BwE

« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:32:45 AM by Humboldthny »

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 08:43:32 AM »
No, it was on the Direct Ferries website when I was looking up ticket prices for the crossing...
This was the page....I’m not sure you’ll be able to view it as it was a listing of prices and may time out. You could probably put in the Hook to Harwich route and see what I found. At the bottom of each route option there’s a sentence that says foot passengers can’t take pets onboard. But they make no mention of kennel reservation...
https://ssl.directferries.com/ferry/secure/booking_redirect_df.aspx?stdc=DF10COM&grid=0&rfid=81&psgr=1&curr=9&retn=false&rfidr=0&stdc=DF10COM&grid=0&rfid=81&psgr=1&curr=9&retn=false&rfidr=0&_ga=2.182601891.408992608.1556182674-1477213693.1555528388&_gac=1.37564052.1556182674.EAIaIQobChMIj5irg_Dq4QIVBeXICh2F8wvIEAAYASAAEgI6fvD_BwE

DetUK (the original poster) used Stena Line Ferries which allows pets.  I think they are the only ones that do.

By far the most common option people use if not flying direct to the UK, is to fly to Paris.  Then either have someone from the UK meet you there to drive to the UK or hire a Pet Transportation van to bring you to the UK, then the animal is in the car on the ferry.  It's very expensive (I think about £700 from Paris to London).  Most people who take this option are bringing animals that are not allowed to fly in the hold due to their breed.

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2019, 11:56:26 PM »
After reviewing more and doing some initial calling, I think we’re going to look at using Air Canada Cargo our of one of their US east coast locations. They can fly animals direct to Manchester (near where we will be) and have a dedicated pet shipping division. Also going to look at Air France-KLM and Iceland Air as I think they offer the same type of service into Manchester.

I eventually stumbled my way onto this list last night and it’s very helpful.
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
In particular these HTML docs are great:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/pet-travel-approved-air-sea-rail-and-charter-routes-for-the-movement-of-pets

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab