Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: HSMP approved...entry clearance ok...now what?  (Read 858 times)

• Liked: 0
HSMP approved...entry clearance ok...now what?
« on: December 23, 2004, 02:55:21 AM »
My husband and I are all set to move to London in January under the HSMP. He is freaking out, however, about what we do once we get there in terms of paperwork. I told him I don't think we have to do anything at all, but now he's got me second guessing myself. Do I need to register anywhere? Get some sort of NI number? There is no information anywhere, and the very nice people at the British Consulate in NY didn't mention anything to me. Does anyone know if there are more steps that we need to take once we arrive?
Thanks for the help--

Lucy

Re: HSMP approved...entry clearance ok...now what?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 03:12:23 PM »
Once you get here you'll have to do some paperwork, but all you need to actually get through the airport is your visa/entry clearance.

You'll need an NI number once you start work, but very often you can't get one until you've got a job. You can work without one, but they'll take out loads in "emergency" taxes until you have that number. Call the Job Centre in your area once your here to get an appointment for the "interview" - and read the threads here (there are several) about what that entails.

You should also register at the surgery (hospital) nearest to your home when you get here so you have a GP. By doing that you'll get a National Health number.

That's all the critical paperwork that I can think of off hand, other than setting up bank accounts and stuff like that.

Good luck with your move!!

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 01:53:20 AM »
Thanks Anne, you've been so very helpful. My husband already got a job offer so I'll have him apply for his NI as soon as we arrive!

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 05:00:07 AM »
The two other "Government" / "Official" things you're likely to want are:

a) A TV license once (if) you have a place with a TV
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/index.jsp

b) A driving license (if you plan to drive) - but you can drive for up to a year on you USA driver's license to give you time to do this.
http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/drvingb.htm

Neither of these is "automatic" - you're supposed to know and go out and get them.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 05:37:07 AM »
You should also register at the surgery (hospital) nearest to your home when you get here so you have a GP. By doing that you'll get a National Health number.

Just to make sure it's clear for lvolz (sorry Anne!  :-* )... the surgery is not the hospital... it's usually just your local health centre, doctor's office, etc. 

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 06:00:11 PM »
Hi Lucy,

What is your husband's background?  How long did it take to get approved?  How did he find his position?  I am looking to talk to other HSMP successful Americans as I am going to apply this summer to be with my parner.  I have the minumum requirments I just have a really good job here and am wondering what the job market for americans is like. 

Thanks,
Tonya

• ramladu
  • Strategic Business Intelligence Analyst

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 09:47:19 PM »
I am curious too.  I'm thinking about the programme.  Please see the blue card thread for more information about my situation. (if interested)
"Chance favours the prepared mind."

Sponsored Links