Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Alabama proposes law - abortion punishable by 99 years in prison  (Read 2091 times)

• Liked: 533
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 1327
Re: Alabama proposes law - abortion punishable by 99 years in prison
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 05:04:46 PM »
I used to be calm about that sort of thing, knowing it would be corrected by the courts if it actually got passed.  I don't feel so confident these days.  They've been packing the courts, too.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 05:06:08 PM »
One of the Southern states pops up with something like this almost every year.

And people ask me why I no longer would consider living in the South... 8) ::)

• Liked: 676
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:47:49 PM »
Watching this is better than thinking about that....

https://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/webcams/penguin-cam

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:28:48 AM »
One of the Southern states pops up with something like this almost every year.

And people ask me why I no longer would consider living in the South... 8) ::)

Sadly we southerners are actually the primitives people said we were.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 06:55:57 AM »
What the hell is going on over there?

I don't have the words...  >:(  :\\\'(

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
I genuinely can't....This all just makes me absolutely sick. They are also refusing to air the kid's program Arthur there as well because they've written the teacher to be gay and he marries his partner in the new season.

When I said I could see the Handmaid's Tale becoming a reality in the foreseeable future if we didn't start taking steps to prevent it from happening, I was told that I was being over-dramatic and grossly exaggerating the situation. This is just confirming that I don't feel I was being too crazy with my thoughts. This feels like it's a test to see what else they can get away with if we just accept this as is.

Don't get me wrong, I respect a person's right to choose what is right for them and for them to have their own opinion....but this is basically telling one group that their opinion and decisions for what is best for them - even if it's the cause of a disgusting and traumatic experience - is wrong and illegal. Just reconfirms that I have no desire to move back to the US in the state it's in. It's really scary and saddening. Absolutely horrified that stuff like this is genuinely happening.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 03:43:41 PM »
So I have a friend (yes, we are still friends) who believes this is the greatest thing ever.  She just recently had her first baby and when posting on social media that the baby was born, got on her soap box about how the birth of her (very much wanted and planned child) reinforced her views that abortion should be 100% illegal.  She's entitled to her opinion.

But I did snicker when a few days later she was struggling very badly with breastfeeding, the pain, and the lack of sleep, etc.  I was DYING to point out that it's SO GREAT that she has a CHOICE to breastfeed or not!  Instead, I scrolled past....   ::)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 03:58:19 PM »
I used to be calm about that sort of thing, knowing it would be corrected by the courts if it actually got passed.  I don't feel so confident these days.  They've been packing the courts, too.

105 Federal judges appointed by Trump so far. Another 5 years of this and the take over of the Judicial branch by the Executive branch should be completed with loads more federal judge appointees and another Supreme justice or 2.

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »

Totally share the sentiment here.

She's entitled to her opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I totally think everybody is entitled to their opinion and that they should get the choice for what is right for them. I have no issue with my friends who are pro-life or wouldn't choose abortion for themselves.

105 Federal judges appointed by Trump so far. Another 5 years of this and the take over of the Judicial branch by the Executive branch should be completed with loads more federal judge appointees and another Supreme justice or 2.

And then we live in Handmaid's Tale....

Honestly, how did we get here?
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 04:19:43 PM »
They need to keep their god out of the public sphere.

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 08:38:24 PM »

And then we live in Handmaid's Tale....

Honestly, how did we get here?

I used to believe in the separation of powers but had not realised that because the judicial branch is appointed by the president and approved by the Senate on a simple majority that there really is very little separation of powers in reality as demonstrated by the current administration.

We now have officials refusing to obey subpoenas from Congress to testify or to hand over documents  and there is no mechanism to take action because the attorney general is a puppet of the president.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 06:24:16 AM »
Didn't the courts threaten to send the marshals in to take the tapes from Nixon?

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 07:43:27 AM »
Didn't the courts threaten to send the marshals in to take the tapes from Nixon?

That was back in the good old days when there was an independent judiciary and presidents were held accountable for their actions.  Even back then there were few consequences because as soon as Nixon resigned his VP became President and immediately pardoned him.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab