Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Bulb energy supplier.  (Read 6192 times)

• Liked: 6110
Bulb energy supplier.
« on: April 26, 2019, 06:54:16 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of Bulb? https://bulb.co.uk

My current fixed rate tariff is coming to an end and I am considering switching, purely to try to save a bit of money. I've been with EDF for the last several years and the experience has been, for the most part, pleasantly uneventful.

It looks like I'd be paying about the same with Bulb as I am now but if I stay with EDF, I'll be paying a good bit more, even on their cheapest tariff.

On the plus side, Bulb do not charge exit fees but the negative is that their tariff, they only have one (which I kind of like the idea of), is not fixed so could go up any time. The reviews I've read online so far are pretty good and they try to be as green as they can.  :)

• Liked: 674
Re: Bulb energy supplier.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 07:46:33 PM »
No direct experience with them, but did some research when I was looking to switch. They are a relatively new company, I'd have to wonder if they're going to survive long and if you would end up dealing with the OFGEM-dumps-you-to-a-nightmare-supplier like we ended up with (Utilita). They (Bulb) are spending quite a bit on TV advertising.

I went with Green Network Energy for gas and electric. There is an exit fee of £25 per fuel, but I'm otherwise locked in to a rate for 18 months now and so far all is well. (Fingers are crossed there.) The rates I got were:

electric - unit rate £0.1479 per kW, standing charge £0.1887 per day
gas -  unit rate £0.0319 per kWh, standing charge £0.2306 per day

Plus a £7.50 discount per fuel for being a dual-fuel customer (per year. Woo.).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 08:03:15 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 08:45:05 PM »
Thanks Nan, you are right, that is a big risk. I've always actively avoided the new/little companies in the past but I'm really tempted this time.

Did you get any warning before they switched you, could you have gone to a company of your choice if you'd have been quick enough off the mark?

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2019, 08:58:50 PM »

The head of that company came to my client's office and gave a presentation to everyone.  He was super nice and they seemed like a good company.  I always intended to switch but never got around to it. 

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2019, 09:04:14 PM »
The head of that company came to my client's office and gave a presentation to everyone.  He was super nice and they seemed like a good company.  I always intended to switch but never got around to it.

Thanks Jim! If I do switch to them, I shall refer you and we will both get £50.  :D

• Liked: 674
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2019, 09:34:07 PM »
Thanks Nan, you are right, that is a big risk. I've always actively avoided the new/little companies in the past but I'm really tempted this time.

Did you get any warning before they switched you, could you have gone to a company of your choice if you'd have been quick enough off the mark?

Our Power took a direct debit out, then a week later I was browsing in the news online and found out they'd gone out of business! At that point when I went to the OFGEM website it said to not try to switch away until the new provider was named.Once it was (and I was out of the country at the time, I think) I started the switch immediately. It still took several weeks for it to go through, at that point.

I have not gotten any sort of bill from Utilita yet, either. I imagine there'll be some difficulties with it.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 03:40:22 PM »
AVOID Bulb. I switched to them, and immediately after switching they raised my tariff from lower to higher, without giving any good reason. The hard part is, not ONE energy supplier in the UK seems legit. Some are just worse than others. Avoid Eon, iSupply too. Both are absolute bullies and both overcharge. iSupply are particularly obnoxious.

And remember, it is illegal for them to stop you switching, even if you owe them money. Email the Ombudsman if  your energy company are trying it on with you. The more people who complain, the better.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 03:47:27 PM »
AVOID Bulb. I switched to them, and immediately after switching they raised my tariff from lower to higher, without giving any good reason. The hard part is, not ONE energy supplier in the UK seems legit. Some are just worse than others. Avoid Eon, iSupply too. Both are absolute bullies and both overcharge. iSupply are particularly obnoxious.

And remember, it is illegal for them to stop you switching, even if you owe them money. Email the Ombudsman if  your energy company are trying it on with you. The more people who complain, the better.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the nature of a variable tariff and a definite negative. The fixed tariffs are great at the time but then when they end, you're looking at a leap in price anyway so either way they have you!

Any other issues apart from the price hike?

• Liked: 163
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2019, 04:37:10 PM »
We switched to Bulb about a year ago, and have been happy with them. If nothing else, they're more customer friendly and eco friendly than the other energy companies I've dealt with in the UK.

We were with Scottish Power before, and the main difference I've noticed is Bulb is much more up front and transparent about what they're doing and why. They sent out an email in May 2018 saying they the wholesale price of energy was forecast to increase, and they thought they might have to increase their price. Then they sent out another one in June to say there were going to increase prices in August, and then again in November.  Then in December the price went down a little.

Throughout all of this we kept our monthly payment the same, so the amount we were in debit/credit fluctuated, but in practical terms we didn't notice any changes.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »
We switched to Bulb about a year ago, and have been happy with them. If nothing else, they're more customer friendly and eco friendly than the other energy companies I've dealt with in the UK.

We were with Scottish Power before, and the main difference I've noticed is Bulb is much more up front and transparent about what they're doing and why. They sent out an email in May 2018 saying they the wholesale price of energy was forecast to increase, and they thought they might have to increase their price. Then they sent out another one in June to say there were going to increase prices in August, and then again in November.  Then in December the price went down a little.

Throughout all of this we kept our monthly payment the same, so the amount we were in debit/credit fluctuated, but in practical terms we didn't notice any changes.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm a big fan of transparency.  :)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 02:32:07 PM »
I'm probably too late to the party but my wife and I switched to Bulb after Spark energy went crazy.

We absolutely hated Spark.  Awful customer service accessibility, bills would go extremely high out of nowhere (my favorite was when my wife was away for 3 weeks, I was at work most of the day, no heating was used in our 2 bed flat, and we still ended up with a £130 bill for the month off of their estimate even though I was providing meter readings).

We have a friend that actually works at Bulb (and I tried to get a job there as well but the darn Google type interview ruined my chances).  We both really like bulb.  Since we switched, we've only had one 'higher' bill that was about £75 which was the lowest we paid with Spark before they went crazy with their 'estimates'.  Our bill is almost always £55.

I really wouldn't worry about bulb going bust, they have had ridiculous growth and are doing very well.  Plus if they do go bust (which is highly unlikely) another company will take over the account right away so you won't be left without power.  We do have limited experience with bulb, but as of right now we are very happy with the switch!

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
Thanks, NCsandHert!  :)

I've been meaning to come back and update this thread! The more I looked into Bulb, the more I liked the sound of them so I decided to go ahead and make the switch. It all could not have gone more smoothly, I really like their way of doing things and I can honestly say I'm delighted so far!

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 05:30:52 PM »
Thanks, NCsandHert!  :)

I've been meaning to come back and update this thread! The more I looked into Bulb, the more I liked the sound of them so I decided to go ahead and make the switch. It all could not have gone more smoothly, I really like their way of doing things and I can honestly say I'm delighted so far!
If you like the way bulb operates, you'll love giffgaff.

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »

Thanks, Jim. That's good to know for when I eveeeeentually get a smartphone!  ;D

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »

Jim, I just remembered you said that! I'm getting an iPhone at last.. looking at giffgaff now. Thanks!

eta Still very happy with Bulb.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab