Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Need American therapist - CBT or other for Anxiety, possible OCD  (Read 2631 times)

• Liked: 56
Hey all,

I know this has been posted before a while ago, but does anyone have any good recommendations for a London-based American-trained therapist? I'm having a lot of issues right now and some things are surfacing that I need help to deal with, but I am hesitant to work with UK-trained therapists because frankly I don't think mental health is really as advanced here as elsewhere.

In lieu of that, any suggestions for finding someone? I have private insurance and am willing to pay if needed.

• Liked: 6110
Re: Need American therapist - CBT or other for Anxiety, possible OCD
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »
Hey all,

I know this has been posted before a while ago, but does anyone have any good recommendations for a London-based American-trained therapist? I'm having a lot of issues right now and some things are surfacing that I need help to deal with, but I am hesitant to work with UK-trained therapists because frankly I don't think mental health is really as advanced here as elsewhere.

In lieu of that, any suggestions for finding someone? I have private insurance and am willing to pay if needed.

I can't help with a referral but I hope you find someone soon who suits you.  And this is probably not the same at all but would it work to Skype with a therapist in the US? Just a thought.

• Liked: 1892
Need American therapist - CBT or other for Anxiety, possible OCD
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »
Sorry to hear things are hard for you right now Bertine. Good luck finding someone.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 05:29:23 PM by jimbocz »

• Liked: 387
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
I don't have any recommendations, but I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time and hope you're able to find someone who can help.

DH is currently having a good experience (thus far) with his mental health provider, but I don't think it's in the same vein as what you're seeking so I'm not sure it will be helpful to you.  Though if you want, I'm happy to provide details.  (we've gone through the NHS, and it did take a LOT of waiting)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »
I went through Talking Therapies with a GP referral, but you can self refer as well in my area. Because of the nature of my condition they put me with a senior therapist almost immediately and he was very helpful, but the 2 assessment sessions I had with the lower levels were not at all. It is different than you would get in private therapy though. Unfortunately to be qualified to practice in the UK they need certain training, so you may have a harder time finding folks who trained in the US here. They have to jump through so many hoops, and I'm not sure if they would advertise it on their sites either. I really hope you find someone you gel with!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 08:04:12 PM »
There is someone (American) who used to post on this forum who is a therapist, in London.  I can't remember her username here, but I will message her on Facebook. and get back to you, if I can  :)
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 11:21:04 PM »
Thanks everyone - and that would be great phatbeetle.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 05:34:43 PM »
Hi Bertine
 Sent you a PM. Hope you feel better soon!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 06:17:51 AM »
Hey phatbeetle - thanks for the message and name, much appreciated!

Sponsored Links