Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Crazy idea ... ILR good in the Virgin Islands or Bermuda?  (Read 5228 times)

• Liked: 387
Re: Crazy idea ... ILR good in the Virgin Islands or Bermuda?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 03:56:27 PM »
Yes, the citizenship application is so easy relative to your previous applications you'll probably think you're doing it wrong. 

I definitely recommend citizenship for the peace of mind to be able to travel out the UK as much as you wish.  Plus, of course, being able to vote.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 04:18:27 PM »
Also, if you and your daughter go to the US and you're out of the UK long enough to lose ILR, then she later decides she wants to return to the UK (or needs to because she can't afford vital healthcare in the US), she won't be able to sponsor you into the UK.  She would have to choose between having you nearby and access to the UK's NHS.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 56
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2019, 06:57:48 AM »
Totally sort of on topic, but the key to the SAT is practice - repeated (timed) practice tests, reviewing and working through questions you missed, and then more practice tests is the best way to get a decent score. You can usually access these online now, but a normal book that reviews typical concepts on the test is good to have in order to review. 4-6 weeks of consistent practice would get her in good shape.

Also - not sure how many schools still accept the ACT, but I did much better on that than the SAT for some reason. May be worth looking at where she is applying and if they accept that test as well.

• live long and prosper
    • Umpteen Graphics and Web Design
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2019, 11:49:16 AM »
Okay well ... I've just completed my 1st dollar transfer to UK pounds via TransferWise.  It looks to be quite a bit cheaper than PayPal. 
Thanks again for this forum community.   :) :) :)
Now I need to find someone who is wise in the ways of taxes on both sides of the Atlantic.  Can anyone recommend anyone?  or anyone here?

Meanwhile, a question about applying for British Citizenship.  I assume I would be giving up my US citizenship correct? 
what ramifications for that if I own property in the states etc.
apart from losing voting rights and needing to apply for a green card I can't see any downside
Cheers!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »
Okay well ... I've just completed my 1st dollar transfer to UK pounds via TransferWise.  It looks to be quite a bit cheaper than PayPal. 
Thanks again for this forum community.   :) :) :)
Now I need to find someone who is wise in the ways of taxes on both sides of the Atlantic.  Can anyone recommend anyone?  or anyone here?

Meanwhile, a question about applying for British Citizenship.  I assume I would be giving up my US citizenship correct? 
what ramifications for that if I own property in the states etc.
apart from losing voting rights and needing to apply for a green card I can't see any downside

You wouldn't give up your US citizenship unless you actively chose to, so you would be a dual citizen of both countries.  :)

Glad the money transfer went well!

• Liked: 672
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 01:07:22 PM »
Totally sort of on topic, but the key to the SAT is practice - repeated (timed) practice tests, reviewing and working through questions you missed, and then more practice tests is the best way to get a decent score. You can usually access these online now, but a normal book that reviews typical concepts on the test is good to have in order to review. 4-6 weeks of consistent practice would get her in good shape.

Also - not sure how many schools still accept the ACT, but I did much better on that than the SAT for some reason. May be worth looking at where she is applying and if they accept that test as well.

I did the exact opposite - I did spectacularly well on the ACT but only very good on the SAT. The SAT has changed over the years, though. Now they are giving points for "disadvantagement" (I know, it's not a word.) And there's a writing component. When I took it there were only three main tests.

Once upon a time the tests were to show where you were at a given point, academically. One did not "prep" at all for the tests - you either knew the material or you did not. That, obviously, has changed since parents started really pushing their kids to perform well on tests. There are now masses of high school kids being groomed on how to take the test. While not getting the other part of what education really is supposed to be. Too bad, really, but I doubt it will change now.

If it were me, and if it were the Daughter who was of an age to be considering higher ed, I'd send her to a smaller school that relied waaaay less on test scores and more on personal interviews, personal recommendations, and a portfolio of achievements.  There has been a movement in some of the more progressive schools to not consider the standardized testing very highly in the admissions process. Which is a great step, in my mind. It's not all that useful as a barometer of how well someone's going to do once they hit higher ed, which is usually a vastly different environment from high school.

Whichever school a kid applies to, I would urge serious research to see if they are a good "fit" for the campus culture - you don't want a fine-arts kid going to an "engineering" school, even though they offer fine-arts degrees. And look at their placement office - both the record of placements after graduation and the services the school provides. Some are pretty much "don't let the door hit you in the backside as you're leaving us" types, who do almost nothing to help their alums find that critical first employment.

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 01:08:14 PM »

Nope. You can have both.

• live long and prosper
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2019, 03:01:01 PM »
The SAT has changed over the years, though. Now they are giving points for "disadvantagement" (I know, it's not a word.) And there's a writing component. When I took it there were only three main tests.

If it were me, and if it were the Daughter who was of an age to be considering higher ed, I'd send her to a smaller school that relied waaaay less on test scores and more on personal interviews, personal recommendations, and a portfolio of achievements.  There has been a movement in some of the more progressive schools to not consider the standardized testing very highly in the admissions process. Which is a great step, in my mind. It's not all that useful as a barometer of how well someone's going to do once they hit higher ed, which is usually a vastly different environment from high school.

Whichever school a kid applies to, I would urge serious research to see if they are a good "fit" for the campus culture - you don't want a fine-arts kid going to an "engineering" school, even though they offer fine-arts degrees. And look at their placement office - both the record of placements after graduation and the services the school provides. Some are pretty much "don't let the door hit you in the backside as you're leaving us" types, who do almost nothing to help their alums find that critical first employment.

yes I have heard about the new criteria for SAT ... a hidden questionnaire to reveal if you've come from disadvantaged circumstances i.e., no white privilege = the Adversity Score

My daughter is very wise for her age and has sussed all that out ... acting is her 1st love but is adept at Maths and Computer Science. She reasons the Ivy League schools will be better able to provide a better degree. Harvard, (not Yale) Princeton, Cornell ... maybe Juilliard but that's a long shot

I am trying to steer her towards a State school = but I will look into the "placement" records as you suggest
Cheers!

• live long and prosper
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
You wouldn't give up your US citizenship unless you actively chose to, so you would be a dual citizen of both countries.  :)

Oooh! marvelous!
Cheers!

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
For acting/theatre, check NYU.

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2019, 10:05:12 AM »
Oh, sorry, and Julliard is killer hard to get into. Lots of competition there. 

NYU is a state school, but she'll still be an out-of-state student. The Tish School there is arguably one of the top three theatre training schools in the country at the graduate level, and that trickles down. They are well-connected in the industry and, again at the graduate level, they do quite a bit to launch their graduates. Plus, the Uni as a whole has a good slate of marketable programs.

The only downside is that it's in NYC. Which can be kinda rough if you're not used to living in a place like that.

There is also USC(private), which has industry connections on the West Coast but you have to deal with living in LA, Brown (private and expensive),  Yale (private and expensive), and UNC (state school) which is very well-respected.

Good luck to her.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 10:10:39 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 56
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »
I would still have her apply to the private expensive schools because the total package they may come back with could actually make them cheaper than some state schools, given their very large endowments.

Also - Northwestern for theatre AND the other stuff - a bosses kid went there to double major in theatre and engineering.

• live long and prosper
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
I would still have her apply to the private expensive schools because the total package they may come back with could actually make them cheaper than some state schools, given their very large endowments.

Also - Northwestern for theatre AND the other stuff - a bosses kid went there to double major in theatre and engineering.

Yes, thank you = my daughter Emily has been saying this about the private schools but I didn't quite understand or believe it.
A double major = hmmm interesting
Cheers!

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2019, 02:04:58 PM »
One other thing to think about if she's considering theatre as a major - the type of theatre that a school does can vary wildly. I used to work in a theatre department at a major university. Our "stuff" was avant-garde and not at all musical theatre (although there might have been singing in some of the works). I used to regularly get freshmen in my office who were thrilled to be there and whose "whole lives were musical theatre."  It was kind of a shock for them, really, when I told them we rarely did anything like that.  They got good training, but it wasn't what they expected or really wanted. So if it's acting she's into, she should talk to the people in the various programs and not just rely on websites. It's also helpful to talk to students in the programs, rather than just staff.

Best of luck to her!  ;D

• live long and prosper
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2019, 08:02:47 AM »
Thanks Nan ... good to know.
she's always been a keen actress / singer ... with a fair amount of success so far
she starred in a short film called "Like Glass" is currently making the rounds of FilmFests, has won several awards so far
she won an award for best young actress at the Out of the Can International Film Fest.
any film people here? ... https://www.imdb.com/name/nm6834708/
apparently at her age (16-17) it's a hard time to try and land a role
too busy with A-Levels and all
Cheers!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links