Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: BEWARE if landlord doesn't use a Letting Agent to pay the rent to.  (Read 2299 times)

• Liked: 342
If  you don’t pay your rent to a Letting Agent and the landlord lives abroad for more than 6 months a year, you might be responsible for deducting landlords tax owed from the rent and paying that to HMRC.

If you don’t pay your rent to a Letting Agent and are unsure if the landlord lives abroad for more than 6 months a year, you can phone HMRC for advice.

Tenants

If your landlord lives abroad and you pay over £100 a week, you need to register with HMRC and deduct tax from your rent.
You also need to register with HMRC if you pay a UK representative of your landlord, such as a friend or family member, who isn’t a letting agent.
You don’t need to deduct the tax if HMRC has told you in writing that the landlord can receive the rent with no tax deducted, but you must still register with HMRC and complete an annual report.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/paying-tax-on-rent-to-landlords-abroad
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 04:59:27 AM by Sirius »

• Liked: 6110
Re: Tenants who don’t pay their rent to a letting agent.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:27:52 PM »
If  you don’t pay your rent to a Letting Agent and the landlord lives abroad for more than 6 months a year, you might be responsible for deducting landlords tax owed from the rent and paying that to HMRC.

If you don’t pay your rent to a Letting Agent and are unsure if the landlord lives abroad for more than 6 months a year, you can phone HMRC for advice.

Tenants

If your landlord lives abroad and you pay over £100 a week, you need to register with HMRC and deduct tax from your rent.
You also need to register with HMRC if you pay a UK representative of your landlord, such as a friend or family member, who isn’t a letting agent.
You don’t need to deduct the tax if HMRC has told you in writing that the landlord can receive the rent with no tax deducted, but you must still register with HMRC and complete an annual report.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/paying-tax-on-rent-to-landlords-abroad

Wow!  :o

I think that's a completely unreasonable burden to place on the tenant.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 06:57:59 PM »

Absolutely bonkers.  BONKERS. 

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:04:11 PM »

It is if the tenant does not know, which I why I am putting it on here as some on here might not know UK laws.

This is why most tenants will avoid landlords who don't use a Letting Agent to pay the monthly rent to.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:44:59 PM by Sirius »

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 07:04:41 PM »
Absolutely bonkers.  BONKERS.

Right? You just want a decent place to call home but instead HMRC have you doing their tax collecting for them!  Annual report!.....outrageous!

Right? You just want a decent place to call home but instead HMRC have you doing their tax collecting for them!  Annual report!.....outrageous!

It is; which is why I have just changed the title of this thread. :)

Sponsored Links