Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Keeping my US job after moving to the UK  (Read 1278 times)

• Liked: 8
Keeping my US job after moving to the UK
« on: May 23, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »
I’ve been lurking about on here for many years now.  Well, the time has finally come for me to apply to move to the UK to be with my husband (we got married this past March in Texas!). My employer has told me that if I can figure out how to make it work, they would like for me to stay on with them in the UK.  They however, do not have a UK presence.  I’ve done some research and talked to my sister-in-law, who works for HMRC, and I believe that this would be best done as a direct payment scheme, where I pay my own PAYE income tax and national insurance.  My SIL says that this would be more work for me, but come with the least amount of potential pitfalls.  The one thing she doesn’t know anything about though, is how things would work on the US side.  I’m crap with taxes and that anyway, and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around how all this would work, and therefore feel like I’d have a hard time approaching my employer with this information, since I don’t really know how to explain it to them, or let them know what they would have to do on their side. 

I’m assuming I would have to be a contract employee, yes? 

When I claim the Foreign Income Tax credit, this should wipe out my US Income Tax liability on my income earned while in the UK, correct?

How would I go about filing when the time comes, since the UK tax year and the US tax year don’t line up? 

Do I need to hire someone to do my taxes the first year, since I’ll have earned income in both countries at that point?  If so, about how much should I anticipate paying for that?

Really, I just need help understanding all this on both sides and help with being able to explain all this to my employer.  I love this job and would like to stay on with them as long as they’ll have me.  However I don’t think they’ll be on board if things get super complicated, and I understand that.  Is it worth it to try and make it work long term?

Any help y’all can provide would be very, very much appreciated.  Please let me know if any other information is required in order assist.

• Liked: 957
Re: Keeping my US job after moving to the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 08:59:54 PM »
Talk to a tax professional versed in the UK and US tax systems. There are some that go through a 3rd party payroll company and that seems the easiest, but you'd want to be sure they are doing things correctly as well. UK contractors are different than US.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
Re: Keeping my US job after moving to the UK
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 09:39:18 PM »
Assuming that you figure out the best solution to your problem is contracting, this is the best forum for contractors that I have found:
https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/contracting/
You could even post this question there in the Accounting /legal section and probably get some good advice.  Avoid the General section for advice. 

This is the website for my accountant:
https://www.sjdaccountancy.com/

There's tons of free resources and info there.  They know everything about the UK side of contracting, but NOTHING about the US.   They used to be good 15 years ago when I chose them, but if I was choosing again it might not be them. 

Good luck and when a UK accountant tells you they aren't qualified to give advice about the US, take them at their word.   

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab