Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK to US question/ green card  (Read 13787 times)

• Liked: 4985
Re: UK to US question/ green card
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:16 AM »
Last time I checked it was $35,000, and that was back in 2013 when my husband and I were ultimately deciding what to do. I would have had to have my parents co-sponsor with me at the time...
I think your co-sponsor has to be in the US, but don't quote me on that.

ETA: there's a form you fill out and your co-sponsor has to fill out. I didn't look into it beyond the earnings amount ($35k) as we'd cross the paperwork bridge if we decided US.

If you don't have kids, it's way lower than that.  Around the $20k mark.

But hugs Lyonaria.  I know you guys have been tested time and time again!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 10:34:02 AM »
If you don't have kids, it's way lower than that.  Around the $20k mark.

But hugs Lyonaria.  I know you guys have been tested time and time again!
Actually... Because we would have been living with my parents it would have been a higher amount. 4 people is $32,187.

"You also must meet certain income requirements (whether you are a sponsor, a joint sponsor, or a substitute sponsor). You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size. (Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring.)"

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Unless of course I simply didn't tell them I was living with my parents in 2013.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 10:39:36 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2019, 10:52:56 AM »
Actually... Because we would have been living with my parents it would have been a higher amount. 4 people is $32,187.

"You also must meet certain income requirements (whether you are a sponsor, a joint sponsor, or a substitute sponsor). You must show that your household income is equal to or higher than 125% of the U.S. poverty level for your household size. (Your household size includes you, your dependents, any relatives living with you, and the immigrants you are sponsoring.)"

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/affidavit-support

Unless of course I simply didn't tell them I was living with my parents in 2013.

Ohh!!!!!!!  I get it now!!!!!!!

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2019, 10:57:56 AM »
Ohh!!!!!!!  I get it now!!!!!!!
And didn't she say she's living with her nephew? So their household size is technically 3 (or more if he has a wife and kids). So it's whether or not she wants to tell the government that, I suppose.

And if she needs a joint sponsor in the US it is the entire sponsor's family plus her husband.

The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »
My husband and I are in a similar boat, he has 3 autoimmune conditions that are now (after 5 years) making his life hell. He may not be able to go back to work... He's only 39. The one causing the most issues at the moment is MS which he was diagnosed with in March this year.

We decided that the UK was a better choice back in 2013 because America's healthcare would bankrupt us in an emergency situation and he only 'had' Crohn's at the time. Now... Yeah. We'd be screwed. He has been off work most of this year so far. Luckily he's still being paid, he has a good employer. Most don't pay when you're off sick.

The first year can be really rough, especially when your partner is having health difficulties. My biggest regret is not getting my license ASAP, we have wasted so much money on public transport and taxis over the years.

If you feel that you are having any kind of depressive issues (this year has had crap weather too boot), don't hesitate to speak to your GP. That's my other regret, not dealing with my depression sooner.
I’m sorry to hear about your husband and his diagnosis, it’s not an easy road.. Andrew has several issues like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis that have worsened in the last year. I know it’s not an easy choice to make and you’re right in the medical cost side ... that’s the main thing to think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
And didn't she say she's living with her nephew? So their household size is technically 3 (or more if he has a wife and kids). So it's whether or not she wants to tell the government that, I suppose.

And if she needs a joint sponsor in the US it is the entire sponsor's family plus her husband.

Hi. It’s just the 2 of us and his nephew in our house, other kids all live on their own or with their mom , the co sponsor in the states would be my friend who is single with no children living at home. Yeah. I’ll have to look into the requirements again .

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2019, 11:10:54 AM »
Hi. It’s just the 2 of us and his nephew in our house, other kids all live on their own or with their mom , the co sponsor in the states would be my friend who is single with no children living at home. Yeah. I’ll have to look into the requirements again .

It's such a pain. The link I have in an above post is the actual US govt link.  

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2019, 11:17:05 AM »
I’m sorry to hear about your husband and his diagnosis, it’s not an easy road.. Andrew has several issues like osteoporosis and osteoarthritis that have worsened in the last year. I know it’s not an easy choice to make and you’re right in the medical cost side ... that’s the main thing to think about.

Yeah, I can understand what you're going through, Dan has arthritis from his Crohn's. I was just tryibg to say I understand where you're coming from. That's really all I was trying to say and to let you know what I have done. Dan has progressively gotten worse over the last 5 years, he was much healthier when we met. I don't think the stressful visa journey has helped any.

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
Yeah, I can understand what you're going through, Dan has arthritis from his Crohn's. I was just tryibg to say I understand where you're coming from. That's really all I was trying to say and to let you know what I have done. Dan has progressively gotten worse over the last 5 years, he was much healthier when we met. I don't think the stressful visa journey has helped any.

Oh I agree about the visa stress ..best wishes and thank you.

• Liked: 957
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2019, 01:41:29 PM »
Does anyone know if any research has been done into the health consequences of the hostile environment for normal family visas? My health has tanked since moving here for a variety of reasons, my husband is dealing with stress and depression (finally getting treatment at least), and the stress caused by knowing this time next year I lose my job contract, will be applying for a visa, and likely won't be able to start a new job while that's happening is significant (but I do try to leave the things out of my control out of my mind most of the time).

I'm also really sorry you're having to consider moving back to the US. I think even with the challenges I'll be here til ILR/citizenship. I am actively supporting the campaigns for legalised medical cannabis, it has helped SO many people I know with chronic pain & autoimmunes in the US, but only when you can control strain, dose and delivery methods since everyone is different. The NICE guidelines will be out in November, but I am not sure the UK will ever catch up to the rest of the world with a dispensary system that isn't completely outrageous (right now you can get private prescriptions for £1000+ a month, and that's the only legal way to access cannabis medicines). I've been working on a letter to my MP to address concerns I have about the "good character" requirement of citizenship and accessing this type of medicine as well, because you never know if HO will decide it means you're a criminal. *sigh*

Life here is really challenging as an immigrant. I genuinely wish we had better networks for helping people who come here as spouses find jobs.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 02:17:23 PM »
I haven't seen any studies yet, but there are a couple of academic groups working along those lines now. Perhaps they'll publish soon.

Aside, it looks like New York State is about to legalize pot.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 08:24:08 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 342
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2019, 08:30:49 PM »
I hope the PIP review goes well.  Make sure that he is honest and says that he is married but that you are NOT allowed public funds, so his claim will be awarded as if he was single.  You don't want to jeopardise your immigration status.  Sometimes they are very generous and insist you can have it, when you are not able to.

PIP can only be claimed by the person who is disabled, no extra money for a spouse. As PIP is an in work benefit, it is not means tested and the money the MrsPoetryMan earns will not reduce her husbands PIP award. He will need to continue to have medicals for the PIP benefit.

If he gets the full amount we will be able to live pretty well and at least be able to help pay the rent, we are living still with his nephew, who graciously paying the bills for now.

Housing Benefit is not paid if the claimant lives in the house of a close relative. Does the nephew own the house?
https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit

« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:38:08 PM by Sirius »

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2019, 10:01:47 AM »
PIP can only be claimed by the person who is disabled, no extra money for a spouse. As PIP is an in work benefit, it is not means tested and the money the MrsPoetryMan earns will not reduce her husbands PIP award. He will need to continue to have medicals for the PIP benefit.

Housing Benefit is not paid if the claimant lives in the house of a close relative. Does the nephew own the house?
https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit
Hi. No we are just renting the house. To make things worse he, the nephew has decided to get his own house so that means unless I find a job today , I actually interviewed for one but just found out I didn’t get it, and it takes a while to get PIP we may be out on the street. I wish the time waiting on the green card could be spent in the US , where I still have the house left to my brother and me, he lives there but we could move in with him.
I’m getting really stressed   

• Liked: 957
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 11:09:26 AM »
Hi. No we are just renting the house. To make things worse he, the nephew has decided to get his own house so that means unless I find a job today , I actually interviewed for one but just found out I didn’t get it, and it takes a while to get PIP we may be out on the street. I wish the time waiting on the green card could be spent in the US , where I still have the house left to my brother and me, he lives there but we could move in with him.

Have you been in touch with the council and CAB? When you are in this vulnerable of a position there may be temporary housing you can access. I'm really sorry you are going through this. :( 

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »
I wish the time waiting on the green card could be spent in the US , where I still have the house left to my brother and me, he lives there but we could move in with him.

Apparently, there is a way.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/family-immigration/nonimmigrant-visa-for-a-spouse-k-3.html#1

It seems you apply for the immigrant visa first, then once that process is started, but before it's granted, you also apply for the nonimmigrant visa.  If the nonimmigrant visa is granted before the immigrant visa, he can enter on the nonimmigrant visa while waiting for his immigrant visa.  If the immigrant visa is granted first, the nonimmigrant visa is no longer required, so that application is automatically closed.  I think.  Either way, he'll be let into the US as soon as one or the other is approved.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links