Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: UK to US question/ green card  (Read 13764 times)

• It's never too late to live happily ever after
  • Liked: 219
UK to US question/ green card
« on: June 20, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »
I have a question... nothing is set in stone but just getting some information on what happens if we decide to move back to the states. I haven’t found any answers that are simple. I need the first grader answer. If we decided next year to move back what has to happen. Can we both stay in the UK and apply or so I have to go back and get a job for a specific amount of time in order to sponsor him as he did me coming to the Uk?  Can we move back and apply from the states? Thanks in advance for any help in clearing these questions up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found My Soulmate 12/2017
Engaged : 6/15/2018
Married : 10/28/2018
Priority Spouse Online App Submitted : 11/19/2018
Biometrics appointment : 11/23/2018
Docs sent to NY : 11/23/2018
Doc received in NY : 11/26/2018
Docs received in Sheffield email :12/21/2018
Email requesting proof of Priority Service : 1/26/2019
Email stating "technical issue which is delaying this application : 1/30/2019
Email requesting bank statements to be re-sent : 2/14/2019
2nd Email requesting bank statements: 3/4/19
Decision made email: 3/6/19
Visa : YESS 3/7/19 (70BD)

• Liked: 3589
UK to US question/ green card
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 01:48:15 PM »
You can apply from the UK (but you can’t both move back and apply from the US).

In fact, because you have UK residency and live in the UK together you should be able to use DCF Filing, which is faster than you applying from the US.

The only thing is that you do need to be able to meet the income requirement for the visa. However, you can use third party sponsorship, so if you don’t have the US income yourself, you can use a friend or family member’s income instead.

See here for more information about DCF Filing:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/government-agencies/dhs/uscis/i130filing-html/

They advise that you start the application process about 10 months before you wish to move.

• Liked: 4985
Re: UK to US question/ green card
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »
I hope everything is okay Mrs. Poetry!

If you need any help adjusting to life in the UK, feel free to ask.  We've all been there done that.  We know how hard it can be!

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2019, 03:04:45 PM »
Ok thank you for the straightforward answer.  As you probably figured out we am so confused as to do, so much to think about either way we end up going.  I just wanted the facts to look at. I appreciate this forum so much.

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 03:17:18 PM »
I hope everything is okay Mrs. Poetry!

If you need any help adjusting to life in the UK, feel free to ask.  We've all been there done that.  We know how hard it can be!
Hi , everything is ok. We’ve had a bit of a setback since I got here.. DH had to quit work for medical reasons and so we are getting a very small benefit weekly and he’s applied for PIP for medical and actually has his assessment Saturday for this. If he gets the full amount we will be able to live pretty well and at least be able to help pay the rent, we are living still with his nephew, who graciously paying the bills for now. I’ve applied for a few jobs but from others stories, it’s not as easy to get a job as back home... I still haven’t tried driving yet but DH having a trip to the ER via ambulance showed me I need to, I was so worried about what I’d do if he had to stay in hospital, but it just ended up being something simple. We aren’t as young as some of the others here, we are both 55 and so thinking where we want to spend our life is a bit more pressing than knowing we have years of work ahead. DH is still writing and has a book sent to publishers but nothing has been picked up for publish yet, so working is all on me for now, well once I find a job. But going home will have its own issues like buying a car, my friend will let us rent her house anytime now or next year. I admit I had a terrible time at first , in the verge of tears all the time and terrible anxiety at night but that’s easing up. I miss my daughter beyond belief but she is grown and in reality can come visit us just as one day we may can go visit home. Ughh just so all over the place as to what to do right now. Sorry for the novel. It’s like the others probably, I’m happy and sad at the same time. 

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2019, 03:26:15 PM »
You can apply from the UK (but you can’t both move back and apply from the US).

In fact, because you have UK residency and live in the UK together you should be able to use DCF Filing, which is faster than you applying from the US.

However, you can use third party sponsorship, so if you don’t have the US income yourself, you can use a friend or family member’s income instead.

one more question about the third party sponsorship, do they have to provide like a number of payslips and have had the job for a specific amount of time. I think the amount needed is about 22,000.00

• Liked: 3589
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »
one more question about the third party sponsorship, do they have to provide like a number of payslips and have had the job for a specific amount of time. I think the amount needed is about 22,000.00

I really don't know what you have to provide. All I know is that third party support is allowed.

Just found this though, which may help:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/collect-and-submit-forms-and-documents-to-the-nvc/step-4-collect-financial-documents.html

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
Hi , everything is ok. We’ve had a bit of a setback since I got here.. DH had to quit work for medical reasons and so we are getting a very small benefit weekly and he’s applied for PIP for medical and actually has his assessment Saturday for this. If he gets the full amount we will be able to live pretty well and at least be able to help pay the rent, we are living still with his nephew, who graciously paying the bills for now. I’ve applied for a few jobs but from others stories, it’s not as easy to get a job as back home... I still haven’t tried driving yet but DH having a trip to the ER via ambulance showed me I need to, I was so worried about what I’d do if he had to stay in hospital, but it just ended up being something simple. We aren’t as young as some of the others here, we are both 55 and so thinking where we want to spend our life is a bit more pressing than knowing we have years of work ahead. DH is still writing and has a book sent to publishers but nothing has been picked up for publish yet, so working is all on me for now, well once I find a job. But going home will have its own issues like buying a car, my friend will let us rent her house anytime now or next year. I admit I had a terrible time at first , in the verge of tears all the time and terrible anxiety at night but that’s easing up. I miss my daughter beyond belief but she is grown and in reality can come visit us just as one day we may can go visit home. Ughh just so all over the place as to what to do right now. Sorry for the novel. It’s like the others probably, I’m happy and sad at the same time. 

Awww, big big hugs.  It's a huge adjustment.  It's not even the same language, really.  ;)

For driving, don't be afraid to give it a go.  If your husband has a car, try to find an industrial estate at the weekend.  Those are good places to try out driving for the first time.  And when you are ready to find a good instructor who will help you gain your confidence.

Jobs, yeah, it's tough.  And if you aren't able to drive, it adds that extra layer of difficulty.  I'm always grateful that I came here for work, and happened to meet my husband.  ;)

I hope the PIP review goes well.  Make sure that he is honest and says that he is married but that you are NOT allowed public funds, so his claim will be awarded as if he was single.  You don't want to jeopardise your immigration status.  Sometimes they are very generous and insist you can have it, when you are not able to.

Keep us posted.  No need to be a stranger.

• Liked: 716
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »
What will be the health insurance situation going back to the USA? At 55 you still have a quite a few years before Medicare, or are you counting on being able to get a job with affordable health insurance as a benefit?
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
What will be the health insurance situation going back to the USA? At 55 you still have a quite a few years before Medicare, or are you counting on being able to get a job with affordable health insurance as a benefit?
I know, that worries me too. Being just me to be able to work, am I going to make enough to cover health insurance. I know my job I quit, for adding a spouse to the medical insurance was almost 700.00 extra a month... I know staying means free healthcare... ughhh it just all weighs in my mind

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »
Awww, big big hugs.  It's a huge adjustment.  It's not even the same language, really.  ;)

For driving, don't be afraid to give it a go.  If your husband has a car, try to find an industrial estate at the weekend.  Those are good places to try out driving for the first time.  And when you are ready to find a good instructor who will help you gain your confidence.

Jobs, yeah, it's tough.  And if you aren't able to drive, it adds that extra layer of difficulty.  I'm always grateful that I came here for work, and happened to meet my husband.  ;)

I hope the PIP review goes well.  Make sure that he is honest and says that he is married but that you are NOT allowed public funds, so his claim will be awarded as if he was single.  You don't want to jeopardise your immigration status.  Sometimes they are very generous and insist you can have it, when you are not able to.

Keep us posted.  No need to be a stranger.
Thank you. I appreciate y’all so much. Yeah he has a car , standard which is why I haven’t tried driving yet but he said the same, need to get on it though

• Liked: 716
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2019, 05:19:04 PM »
I know, that worries me too. Being just me to be able to work, am I going to make enough to cover health insurance. I know my job I quit, for adding a spouse to the medical insurance was almost 700.00 extra a month... I know staying means free healthcare... ughhh it just all weighs in my mind

Nothing is straightforward. I still get the invitation every year to sign up for my company’s retiree health insurance and for 2019 it would have cost us $956/month for the 2 of us, and then there are copays, deductibles etc.

All the very best to you for your future moves, whatever they may be.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:20:02 PM »
Nothing is straightforward. I still get the invitation every year to sign up for my company’s retiree health insurance and for 2019 it would have cost us $956/month for the 2 of us, and then there are copays, deductibles etc.

All the very best to you for your future moves, whatever they may be.
Thank you. Its crazy the prices huh

• Liked: 537
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 06:55:31 AM »

Last time I checked it was $35,000, and that was back in 2013 when my husband and I were ultimately deciding what to do. I would have had to have my parents co-sponsor with me at the time...
I think your co-sponsor has to be in the US, but don't quote me on that.

ETA: there's a form you fill out and your co-sponsor has to fill out. I didn't look into it beyond the earnings amount ($35k) as we'd cross the paperwork bridge if we decided US.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 07:09:07 AM by lyonaria »
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 537
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2019, 07:06:30 AM »
My husband and I are in a similar boat, he has 3 autoimmune conditions that are now (after 5 years) making his life hell. He may not be able to go back to work... He's only 39. The one causing the most issues at the moment is MS which he was diagnosed with in March this year.

We decided that the UK was a better choice back in 2013 because America's healthcare would bankrupt us in an emergency situation and he only 'had' Crohn's at the time. Now... Yeah. We'd be screwed. He has been off work most of this year so far. Luckily he's still being paid, he has a good employer. Most don't pay when you're off sick.

The first year can be really rough, especially when your partner is having health difficulties. My biggest regret is not getting my license ASAP, we have wasted so much money on public transport and taxis over the years. 🙃

If you feel that you are having any kind of depressive issues (this year has had crap weather too boot), don't hesitate to speak to your GP. That's my other regret, not dealing with my depression sooner.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

Sponsored Links