Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What is your visa application system?  (Read 885 times)

• Liked: 107
What is your visa application system?
« on: July 02, 2019, 12:07:10 PM »
Just curious what everyone's method of their visa application is at home?

For me: little one has to be in bed, had to have had dinner, washed up and tidied.

Throughout the whole 2.5 years, everything is shoved into this dedicated box until the time comes. Then my dinner table becomes a giant dumping ground and an organised mess.

Just curious what people's way of doing their visa is. Seeing if it differs from mine? Sometimes, I even come into work after hours just for no distractions.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 1260
Re: What is your visa application system?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 12:38:18 PM »
Save (arguable too much) everything in a massive folder. Wait until a month or so from when I'm going to apply. Then go through everything in a chaotic panic. Usually do some sorting when I'm home from work and some after dinner. Stress out, stress eat, bang it out in about 4 days while anxiously hitting refresh on my threads to see if there are responses to my threads on UKY where I've asked questions.

My approach is definitely the wrong approach.

The only part of that I would actively suggest to somebody else is to save too much and to fill out as much of the application as you can initially as soon as you can (as you can always go back in now and edit).When I finished my ILR and had that approved, I started my Citizenship application when I didn't have everything ready to submit yet just to give myself the head start (as a lot of the info was the exact same).
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 12:47:14 PM »
Mine started with putting all official correspondence that might be useful into a box file as it arrived, from the time I got my fiancee visa and first came over here.  I also put all of my husband's payslips into the box file as we received them in the post.

But, officially, each application process started when I'd check the forum a few months before my visa renewal was coming due, to see if there had been any significant changes since my last one (I checked for ILR a year in advance, and I'm so glad I did, because the fee I thought I needed to save up was about 1/2 what I actually needed, so I had to really ramp up my savings schedule!).  After checking in at the forum, I'd put together my document checklist (unique to me, because everybody's set of circumstances is different, and everybody requires slightly different things).

Then, about a month before, I'd let my husband know that it was time to order his bank statements from the bank and how far back they needed to go (6 months for the first three applications, 12 months for the last).  A few weeks before each application, I would tell my husband to get his employer letter(s).  For the first three applications, I used the same old tenancy agreement from the house we were renting, and our landlord was our neighbor, so I'd go next door and ask Sarah for a new letter giving me permission to stay because I wasn't on the original lease (I think I didn't need a fresh letter each time, but it didn't hurt to have one).  After we bought our house and moved, I obtained a copy of the Land Registry document, and included the mortgage statement that had been issued because we'd been in our house for 18 month by the time I had to apply for ILR.  All of these things went into the box file.  And, of course, we had a certified copy of our marriage certificate in there.  That also was where I kept our passports, so everything was together.

My husband was at the same job for the first three applications, so he'd get a fresh employer letter each time, and I'd include the same tired old copy of his employment contract, the newest payslips, and bank statements, and the latest P60.  For the last application, he changed jobs about a month before we applied, so I did 11 months of payslips from the old job, one payslip from the new job, a letter from the new employer, his new employment contract, and 12+ months of bank statements.

After collecting everything quietly, trying to avoid stressing my husband out too much,  I organized it all into a neat pile, and then went through it all again and again and again...  and again.  My checklist items were complete, and the checklist was UKYankee-approved... there was no need for this overwhelming sense of doom and constant checking and re-checking.  But I am willing to bet real money that we all do it!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 12:51:38 PM by jfkimberly »
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:00:43 PM »

I got some folders when we first arrived in June 2017. I labelled each pocket in the folder by month with a couple of general pockets in there as well.

These folders sit in the living room - so there is no excuse not to file stuff as it arrives.

But, it is so easy to open an envelope and just leave it on top. I have a blitz sorting stuff into the folders when the pile gets too high!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 01:09:11 PM »

I got some folders when we first arrived in June 2017. I labelled each pocket in the folder by month with a couple of general pockets in there as well.

These folders sit in the living room - so there is no excuse not to file stuff as it arrives.

But, it is so easy to open an envelope and just leave it on top. I have a blitz sorting stuff into the folders when the pile gets too high!

We're past all the visas now, but we have a pile sitting at the end of the sofa that resembles your need-to-file stuff.  I think it's my fault... I always saved stuff for the visas, so it got put in the box file.  Now there's no visas, so my husband doesn't know what to do with his post!  :)

• Liked: 248
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 01:14:44 PM »
We're past all the visas now, but we have a pile sitting at the end of the sofa that resembles your need-to-file stuff.  I think it's my fault... I always saved stuff for the visas, so it got put in the box file.  Now there's no visas, so my husband doesn't know what to do with his post!  :)

Hubby has completed his Life in the UK Test - but still reads the books they recommend for the test.  I suppose we are just creatures of habit?  Or is it some sort of diabolical plan by UKV to control us?

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »
Hubby has completed his Life in the UK Test - but still reads the books they recommend for the test.  I suppose we are just creatures of habit?  Or is it some sort of diabolical plan by UKV to control us?

UKVI are pretty diabolical...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab