Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: us citizen in uk freelancing question  (Read 554 times)

• Liked: 0
us citizen in uk freelancing question
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:27:49 PM »
I just recently moved to the UK from the US to be with my husband, who is a UK citizen. I am still waiting for my spousal visa to be approved and so don't have a national insurance number.

I'm currently doing freelance work for a couple U.S. companies and don't know if it would be better from a tax stand point to have the companies pay me through my US bank account or my UK joint bank account that I share with my husband?
Application submitted: 14 September 2018
Biometrics & Docs sent: 2 October 2018
Application received email: 2 November 2018
Decision made email: 6 December 2018
Visa arrived: 7 December - approved :)

• Liked: 6110
Re: us citizen in uk freelancing question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:44:39 PM »
I just recently moved to the UK from the US to be with my husband, who is a UK citizen. I am still waiting for my spousal visa to be approved and so don't have a national insurance number.

I'm currently doing freelance work for a couple U.S. companies and don't know if it would be better from a tax stand point to have the companies pay me through my US bank account or my UK joint bank account that I share with my husband?

To clarify, I think you are in the UK on a fiancé visa and are waiting for your FLR(M) to be approved?

If so, you should be aware that work is not permitted on a fiancé visa.

• Liked: 1327
Re: us citizen in uk freelancing question
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 09:16:20 AM »

To echo larrabee, if you are on a fiancee or visitor visa, you must stop working immediately!  You never should have started.  Work is not permitted on a fiancee visa, and violating the terms of your current visa could jeopardize future ones.  After your FLR(M) is approved, you will be permitted to work, but not while you are waiting.

Also, I would caution you about sharing a bank account.  You're permitted to, but you and your husband should know about FBAR reporting.  As a USC, you are required to report all foreign assets if their aggregate total reaches $10,000 for even a moment within a calendar year.  And by "all", they mean if you have signatory authority on the account, but it's your husband's account, you still have to count it and report it along with all of your own accounts/assets.  So sharing accounts with your husband could expose his accounts to the US government.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab